Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > GALLERY > Sketchbooks
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2007, 12:13 PM   #1
srilyk

Send a message via ICQ to srilyk Send a message via AIM to srilyk Send a message via MSN to srilyk Send a message via Yahoo to srilyk
Default No-talent hack work: now with more practice! UPDATE: 2016-07-07

Also known as my sketchbook.

Some of my no-talent hack work...

Crappy werewolf (obviously I didn't care about the quality... hence)...
Spoiler:

I took about 30 seconds drawing in a vector based program called inkscape... and then I got bored
Spoiler:

I forget who did it, but they drew some breasts as just circles, and so to help out, I drew this (NSFW? Bikini, no nudey)
Spoiler:

First drawing in my first sketch exchange
Spoiler:

Not your standard still-life...
Spoiler:

A quick sketch of how a series of tubes works...
Spoiler:

Some random drawing from a SE
Spoiler:

I need to learn how to use the different tools/layers in oC better
Spoiler:

I did this little doodle in school while I was listening to a lecture
Spoiler:

This was for an art drill: What's your excuse for not doing the art drills
Spoiler:

I have no idea *what* this is...
Spoiler:

Mr. Robot is sad...
Spoiler:

Randomness..
Spoiler:

This was an airbrush skull I did...
Spoiler:

We were listening to Die Forelle in music appreciation...
Spoiler:

Funny thing... I've spent plenty of time studying, that I know bad when I see it I just don't translate that studying into doing.

Imma slacker

Last edited by srilyk : 07-07-2016 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Almost a year to update?? Sheesh!
srilyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:10 PM   #2
srilyk

Send a message via ICQ to srilyk Send a message via AIM to srilyk Send a message via MSN to srilyk Send a message via Yahoo to srilyk

I did this one about a year ago.

Spoiler:

I did this gesture drawing at the ball park a week or two ago
Spoiler:

Sketch Exchanges:
Now with more <InnerShadow>
Over 9000! - with <ssjmvegita>

You want eyes? Get them here!

Last edited by srilyk : 08-17-2007 at 02:11 PM. Reason: [/url] != [/img]
Old 08-17-2007, 03:31 PM   #3
WeeRLegion
Sir Straightjacket

Send a message via Yahoo to WeeRLegion

Erm, the way you devaluate your drawings makes commenting seems kinda redundant. :P

But ahh, yeah, from what I've HEARD, you do have a fair deal of useful knowledge.
And you know, the best way to translate knowledge to drawing is working with all the fancy systematic rules people have come up with, and stubbornly erasing and redrawing until (a)everything looks satisfactory or (b]) you just get way TOO bored with what you're working with.
This until it's all well fitted in your spine. O_O

I do like the skull on the newspaper, kewl! ^^

But you know, do take your time, time is rewarding! :O
Old 08-17-2007, 03:48 PM   #4
srilyk

Hehe... my problem is I just get too bored too quick

here's a quick color I did of harryflesh's lineart

Spoiler:

I just need to start revisiting some of that stuff :P

I'll post some more sketchies I did from Riven Phoenix's tutorials... maybe later tonight :P

Sketch Exchanges:

Last edited by srilyk : 04-20-2009 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:42 PM   #5
Makkon
BRAINS

Awards Showcase
2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Team Battle '06 
Total Awards: 1

I think you need to work on your attitude, you can't expect much improvement if you constantly bash your own work.
nice colors on those lines, though.
Makkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 11:05 AM   #6
srilyk

Well, I think it was my attitude that produced those works up there... and a can-do attitude, coupled with some other tutorials & things...

Produced stuff like this!

1)Took a tutorial on drawing realistic eyes + random doodles
Spoiler:

2)Some random faces... I kind distorted the proportions on these faces and they got a stylized look... I think my big problem is how the eyes+nose fit proportionally... I suppose working from the skull more will help
Spoiler:

3)A drawing of the skull, from Riven Phoenix's tutorials
Spoiler:

4)A concept piece for Greywind, from Durandahl's story
Spoiler:

5)I was upset at my intarwebs connection...
Spoiler:

6)WIP of the LDS Memphis, Tennessee Temple - no ref used, just out of my imagination
Spoiler:

7)Skeleton/sticks, proportions
Spoiler:

8)Some quick skulls (about the size of a quarter)
Spoiler:

9)Some more skulls
Spoiler:

10)Upset much?
Spoiler:

11)Some 3/4 skele/proportions
Spoiler:

12)A tribal art butterfly
Spoiler:

13)Took a skull and decided maybe it would look like me (facial hair changed since then)
Spoiler:

Anyhoo, feel free to crit these, since I actually put some thought/effort into them :P

Sketch Exchanges:

Last edited by srilyk : 04-20-2009 at 11:49 AM. Reason: forgot a .jpg, adding numbers
Old 08-18-2007, 11:17 AM   #7
fshoo`
For sure.

Send a message via MSN to fshoo`

I've got red x's only in your newer posts :\

fshoo` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 11:43 AM   #8
srilyk

for some reason our internet is going a little wonky, and since our host is... well, us...

That'd explain the x's. Hopefully it'll sort itself out... swbell has been doing rather horrid with our internet lately...

edit: just try again later and it should be OK... (heh... you'll understand #5 on the new stuff a lot better...

Sketch Exchanges:

Old 08-18-2007, 01:31 PM   #9
WeeRLegion
Sir Straightjacket

Send a message via Yahoo to WeeRLegion

Hmm, let's see... #1, like the eyes.

#2, Mm, yeah, stylished. Well, (just in case... ^^)what I learnt from my tutorial readings, heads are 4-5 eyes wide, and eyes are placed at about 1 eye width from eachother. Careful to keep the top portions of noses thin enough too. ^^
Oh, and normal mouths stretch about 2 eyes wide, or if you draw lines straight down from the pupils of the eyes yuo should hit the corners of the mouth.

Now #4, it's got a nice, er, feeling to it, and pretty eye.
There's a few oddities too, the forehead seems a bit overly thick for one, but the general prescription is practice practice practice. ^^
But it's a nice one.

#6 then, err, well, you coulda picked a more interesting (& difficult ^^) angle; especially for ruler-straight buildings a frontal view eats away at the effect, and hides a good amount of it entirely.

#7 Hmm, the shoulders look a bit stiff. :O

The skulls, hmm, well, I don't draw those much, but a few of them seem to have quite thin chins.

Upset? Yea, it has some good idea put to it (Though it was posted previously too :p), but it has some issues: The sword fellow's pose shows him waving his sword at pretty much maximum reach, but that reach isn't enough to touch the guy suffering from acute decapitation. ^^
Also there's some details with limb lengths and thicknesses here and there.
Hmmmz... Hey, try that again with wilder poses, methinks it'd turn out fancy. ^^

Ooo! The butterfly is real nice, shows you do have drawing and design skill and just need practice to apply it to more complex subjects.

The profile, well, the forehead seems kinda large again, and the eyes placed maybe little too far up.
It does inspire me to ask though, what kind of an basic support-line setup do you use for your heads?
I generally start my work from a circle.

Anyways, keep practicing! ^^

Oh, yikes, if you saw some of my PRACTICE sketches or "a few year olds"... :P
Old 08-18-2007, 05:57 PM   #10
srilyk

Well, generally... I just guess :P bad habit, yeesh. But that drawing was based off one of those skulls - and the forehead seems large because it IS large ^_^ Maybe I'll have to post a profile of myself for comparison, lol.

Basically though, I've found that if I start with the skull I can get the placements a lot more nearly correct (even if I draw them a little bad... or a lot bad), at least proportionally correct - I haven't been drawing enough yet to "make them my own"...

I think the eyes might just look a little far up because the head is tilted... if you check out the side view formulas on http://inventiontocompletehumanbeing.blogspot.com/ then you'd know why... :P (that and I was too lazy to try and scan it "right")

Sketch Exchanges:

Old 08-19-2007, 02:51 PM   #11
srilyk

sketchies done today... on the stylized heads, I had drawn the eyes first... and then the nose... and then my lips were huge, so the head followed

Spoiler:

Sketch Exchanges:

Last edited by srilyk : 04-20-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:48 PM   #12
srilyk

A sketch I did... started with the lips this time :P

Spoiler:

Sketch Exchanges:

Last edited by srilyk : 04-20-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:19 PM   #13
Yitetsu
Tai

i think u should take what u have and just keep doing ur thing, it wont hurt getting some crappy things like anatomy down , but what u can do is change it to ur style u have , i really like ur inkscape drawing and some of ur realistic eyes u have down on one of ur random splash pages, just dont stop drawing , ok?
Old 09-01-2007, 05:55 AM   #14
Shin
Crit you for over 9000 !

buy this man a wacom!

Your style is pretty good and fun looking (like simpsons, family guy) , keep developing it.
Shin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:13 AM   #15
srilyk

actually I have a wacom ^_^

For some reason though, lately I've just been having problems with my eye-hand o.O

Here's something I did just yesterday... I'm thinking of working on it some more...

I drew the page left goggle piece as a random shape... and then the rest formed from there, lol. As you can see it's very much not at all finished, I was thinking of sort of a steampunk-esqe piece...

off to school now!

Sketch Exchanges:

Old 09-10-2007, 11:37 AM   #16
fshoo`
For sure.

Send a message via MSN to fshoo`

What you need to consider if you draw a bg like that, is how your character is standing. The ship's tilting over right now. When you draw the ship in this kind of position, you have to make sure your character's standing on the floor. You'll have to consider perspective aswell when you do that, so either master that or draw your ship straight :P

fshoo` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:16 PM   #17
srilyk

psh... ships aren't rock solid! And besides who needs physics when you have imagination! Heh... just kidding.

Thanks for the crit though... I'm really not 100% sure on how I'd like to finish this off... or when I'll get the time :P

Sketch Exchanges:

Old 09-21-2007, 03:02 PM   #18
srilyk

For TLAPD:
Spoiler:

For a SE
Spoiler:

Sketch Exchanges:

Old 09-23-2007, 04:54 AM   #19
SilverOwl
Karbonite

Send a message via Yahoo to SilverOwl

These for the last pics. First, her boobs look like 2 super-size grape-like things. Make them a bit smaller. You don't have to exaggerate them to make them look hot. Second, I think her torso is quite long. Shorten it a bit ! And last but not least, she has no ankle on the right leg.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:05 PM   #20
srilyk

Update:

Sketch Exchanges: