Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > GALLERY > Sketchbooks
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2007, 01:56 AM   #1
clone
reformed trunxx

Send a message via AIM to clone
Default a place to hang my hat (Updated 12/30/2012)

These are just random things and snippets from my real life sketchbook. Most of these are more or less new as I can never stay happy with something long enough to like it later. In some cases you'll get a whole page (usually sparsely filled) and in some you'll get a selected part of a page that I've singled out by itself. Most of these are done with pen only as I find that if I draw with pen I am less likely to ease up. Drawing in only pen makes me think out each move carefully before I immortalize it. This is done to greater or lesser extent.

I guess, as a footnote, if for whatever reason you need there are high res versions of all of these available.

King Leonidas:

Guy with a Bass (Bassmofo) and Naruto (big, so hidden as to not mess with proportions):
Spoiler:

This is a guy some of you may recognize as he's appeared a few times on PK. He's a communist super hero I designed. I was trying to get some motion into this pose, but I nerfed the perspective among other things. Of more note on this page, I enjoyed the skeleton pirate and the flame-mage-clown guy much more, hence why they appear"

Coming off a One Piece kick this guy got some crazed eyes and a huge smile. The rest is trademark stuff that always gets thrown into my drawings (copious tattoos, arrows, and floating angel motifs):

This is Captain Marvel. A favorite super hero of my brother and myself who gets too little attention, I spent a page trying to draw him in a unique style of my own design and failed. I was finally able to get a small sketch I liked and here it is!

Ah Han Solo... What is there to say? He's a hero to all. This is a picture gleaned off of a famous picture of the smuggler which I tried drawing primarily with silhouettes and shadows. I kinda hope to go back and finish the rest some day and then put Captain Malcolm Reynolds in a similar fashion next to him... We'll see if I do. ((This image plays much better from a distance, so if you want try and resize it smaller to see what I mean)):
Spoiler:

This was one in a series of collaborative efforts with a friend of mine. Usually we don't have any kind of plan and we're preoccupied doing something else (watching TV, a movie, playing tabletop games ((author's note: I don't play the tabletop stuff.. I just watch... which is probably worse)) etc.). We accomplish these by each drawing a small portion, ie a head an arm.. And then the next person sees what they can add to completely throw the other off. This particular session went somewhere weird and ended up with a bunch of steam punks I guess. ((Author's Note 2: This image was so detailed I think it only works at its highest resolution. At this shrunk down size you lose so much line variation and subtlety)):
Spoiler:

And this is actually something old. It's more or less weird and I always felt some kind of affection for these. I don't know why as there is nothing particularly interesting about them... but I figured I'd move on a hunch and post it anyways!:

Well that's it for now. I've got lots of random things in this old sketchbook, and if there's any kind of demand the vanity in me will be forced to post some more. Anyways, I hope this doesn't end up a speedbump in the sketch thread. I hope you like it (some of it... any of it... I hope you look... )

--::The place I hang my Hat::--
Newly Updated 11/29

Last edited by clone : 12-29-2012 at 11:52 PM.
clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:59 AM   #2
clone
reformed trunxx

Go figure no replies! Awesome. Anyways, I have a reason to bump this now as I did some more stuff. I just copied and pasted from my thread in the WIP section:

Quote:
Playing EBA, the song inspired the name.

As for the piece, I am extremely happy with it as it represents not only something I am happy with, but a huge step forwards in terms of my work process.

Here's all three steps:

Pencil:

Initial Ink:

Ink Details ((For some reason the scanner makes all the hatching really dark, so I tried to tone it down)):

Now normally I wouldn't ask, but I really like the way this turned out. If anyone would be so kind as to take a crack at coloring this fella I'd be mighty appreciative! If you need a higher res version I can upload it right away.

Thanks a lot. C&C as always, etc.

Newly Updated 11/29
Old 04-09-2007, 03:09 AM   #3
pofo
hopeless situation elder

Awards Showcase
2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Victorian Sci-Fi Contest '08 
Total Awards: 1

Neat.
A thing to work on would be arms and hands as they look a bit off in several of these.
pofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:07 AM   #4
OniCloud
Nomad

Send a message via AIM to OniCloud

Nice style you got going on here :P only thing I can say is you should do some anatomy practices as pofo said some of the arms and hands are off and I'd like to see more of your stuff and maybe try coloring that one above :o

OniCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:39 PM   #5
Lena
Future Forensic Scientist

Great artwork! You have a very unique style and your pen art is impressive. Maybe you can liven up your images with colours; I think it'd work really well. Hope you post more!
Old 04-11-2007, 03:51 AM   #6
clone
reformed trunxx

Ok, new stuffs so I can reply/post again. I'm going to make it a rule I can't post or reply without a drawing to go with it.

Pofo: Ah yes... Arms and hands... moreso hands. They are the bane of my drawing life. I hate them with a passion undying! To appease this request, today's drawing addresses hands clearly. I think I did an okay job, but I know I have work to do. They are one of a few things I literally can't get my brain to do on paper. Thanks again.

OniCloud: Yeah, again, hands are my most hated thing... You may have noticed how I chickened out on them in that last drawing. I tend to do that when I am really liking a drawing and don't want to constantly hate it every time I look at the hands. So I went with the "double axehandle" move from Dragonball Z exploit and I was very happy... even though I copped out.

Also, if you color it, post it up here! I'd love to see it.

Lana: Thanks a lot. I pride myself on my pen work's improvements over the last year or so. It leaves me open to tons of glaring mistakes, but I think it also has sharpened my knowledge of my style in that I know what's going to work and what's going to bomb terribly. As of current, my tablet isn't working with my computer so color work's going to take a back seat for a little while until I can straighten things out. But don't worry, I fully intend to give it a whirl again when everything's working. Thanks for the compliments.

Which leads us to today's drawing. This is a second test for the three step method I used for the last drawing. I find this process allows me to (kind of) spot errors in my drawing as I progress through each stage and hopefully by the end have everything worked out. I have to say I wasn't thrilled with this one until the final stage, and even now there's a few spots I don't like (like his shoulder on his left arm... Looks sort of broken). Even so there's a lot here I am happy with like the hands and the arms and the inking. I am really starting to enjoy inking as my favorite current stage of drawing. I reckon this comes off my pen-only phase. I think it's helped. Anyways, without further adieu:

I'll be back with more when I can.

Newly Updated 11/29
Old 04-12-2007, 02:10 AM   #7
clone
reformed trunxx

I guess I'll just keep posting until people take some kind of notice!

With more and more vigilance, here is another piece I'm pretty proud of. For those of you comic nerds out there, Wednesday is new comics day, and being thus I was inspired to draw me some Superman! So, here he is in all of his stylized glory ((step by step included!)):

Initial Pencil Sketch-a-maroo:

Initial Inks:

Final Inking plus Details (I gotta figure out a good way to scan these last ones as my scanner craps on all of the subtlety of my inking ((and there is subtlety too!))):

^ As you can see I skipped out on the globe he's supposed to be holding for the last image as I couldn't get a good grasp on it. I think I may come back to add it at a later date though. For now... imagine he's holding something really heavy!

Thanks again. Anyone looking yet?

Newly Updated 11/29
Old 04-12-2007, 10:33 AM   #8
rc_r6
Pencilhead

Trunx, I think you have a very unique style, if I had to C&C...i'd say tighten up the lines just a little more and the style you used on supes, is more conducive to shading with color as opposed to pencil or ink.
Otherwise, keepem coming.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:22 PM   #9
clone
reformed trunxx

Back again. In the interim of time passing between my second post and now I've grown a liking to the character I created there, to the point where I might try some kind of one-shot short comic story using him as a central character. Time remains to see if I do, and I also have to practice drawing the character some more before I can actually do that. So far I think he looks enough like the initial drawing, but I'm still zeroing in on his look. As usual, I'll post up the finished and the initial pencils too.

Initial Pencils ((I erased a lot of parts I disliked using Paint Shop Pro before proceeding, which explains the white gaps in the drawing)):

Final Inks:

^ Don't be surprised if you see more of this character in the future in some form or another.

And here's a picture I drew on a break at work that I always got a kick out of ((the folds are intentional, as is the colors. I know the hands are completely jacked as usual, but this one is more for laughs. Come on.. you know you wanna laugh)):

Newly Updated 11/29
Old 04-21-2007, 09:31 PM   #10
clone
reformed trunxx

Eh, not much to report. I've been swamped with work and I haven't devoted much time off to drawing. Here's a ten minute quick-sketch I did before bed the other night of myself that turned out pretty cool. The left eye, my right, is either too small or too low but for ten minutes I am more or less confident.

Your thoughts?

Newly Updated 11/29
Old 04-21-2007, 10:13 PM   #11
OniCloud
Nomad

your l

Old 04-21-2007, 10:14 PM   #12
OniCloud
Nomad

your left eye is too low damnit double post I didn't even hit enter x(
but I think drawing yourself is good practice next time you should try using a reference

Old 09-11-2007, 02:27 PM   #13
clone
reformed trunxx

Call this a resurrection post. Here's some more things I could bear to show to other people without hating myself.

^ This was a doodle I drew at work while trying desperately not to work. It's pretty simple, but I found it quite funny in the sense that it's a velociraptor smoking and having tatoos.

^ There's a lot of things I like here and a lot I don't. This is another one cobbled together during my breaks from work. This is a rough concept for a comic my brother is writing about a super hero who isn't very super and has an insanely lame power. It's not a comical story though, it's meant to be very somber and downbeat. Anyways, his appearance is nothing to behold and he's supposed to sort of ramshackle. I am pretty happy with how the hand held up turned out, but besides that the anatomy has some pretty nice problems. The shading and such I like as well as the feeling of the picture, but there's a lot I could do. Either way this is an early concept so if we're lucky we'll see more of this guy.

^ This came about while hanging out with friends. One of them suggested I draw Kratos as a "Nazi ape". I got the ape part but the Nazi part I had trouble imagining as to how to incorporate... Either way this turned out much more fun than I had anticipated and I am actually quite proud of it. I think Kratos works pretty well as a monkey...

That's it for the moment. More to come hopefully as I seem to be in a drawing kind of mood.

Newly Updated 11/29
Old 09-11-2007, 09:02 PM   #14
OniCloud
Nomad

I really like the gorilla pic man but I think it'll really benefit your skill if you start working in small anatomy practice; not small but a lot.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:16 PM   #15
clone
reformed trunxx

You're right Oni. I was considering taking an anatomy class or some sort of life drawing class when I go back to school in January. I am at the very least trying to make an effort with the stuff I really put time into these days to make it somewhat close to home on the anatomical aspects... To varying degrees of success I suppose.

Which brings us to today's drawing. I worked on this far too long last night. You may recognize him as the character I've posted up here twice before and promised more. Well he's back with a jacket and goggles off! This was meant to be a practice of perspective. The angle was supposed to me much more extreme than it ended up being, but I think the general idea is still there enough to see what I was trying to do. At the very least I am happy with the hands more or less. Anyways, without further adieu,

Newly Updated 11/29
Old 09-12-2007, 06:36 PM   #16
Alex J.

Love the superman and King Leonidus!
Old 09-17-2007, 07:18 PM   #17
clone
reformed trunxx

So I went to the museum which I usually take as an opportunity to draw from "life". Funny thing is I didn't really learn much about any of these animals. Overall I like the stegosaurus, dislike thet-rex, like the monkey, gorilla's okay, tiger's not bad, an the macaw is just kind of there. Oh and the mountain goat-type guy is aligned weird.

Newly Updated 11/29
Old 09-18-2007, 01:25 PM   #18
clone
reformed trunxx

One more new thing.

See the cover of the three disc collector's edition of the movie to see the reference I used.

Newly Updated 11/29
Old 09-18-2007, 05:23 PM   #19
obsceneONextasy
synophobia

not so crazy about the animeish-looking stuff.
but the rest are amazing. i love the animals.
i used to draw birds myself.
love the gorilla. keep up the good work.

suggestion for anime; i think you should work on anatomy.
but still they always know
obsceneONextasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 01:17 AM   #20
clone
reformed trunxx

More new stuff. A biproduct of comic book Wednesday and boredom while watching .hack//GU Vol. 3. You think there'd be more anime...

^ Supergirl from the cover of the trade paperback of Superman/Batman: Supergirl. Original art by Michael Turner. My pen style of drawing really seems to suit Turner's as we both have a loose definition of lines with ink. I got this more or less close to the source, with the exception of a bigger head and smaller eyes it would seem. I still like the end result.

^ This is Batman from the Elseworld's tale Superman: Red Son which tells the tale of Superman had he landed in Soviet Russia. This is Batman from the story who is a vigilante fighting Superman's totaliarian rule. I took a very odd approach to this drawing and it ended up slightly wonky. Again referenced from the pages of the book, I find using comic book panels is helping define more of a stylistic edge as well as what to do and what not to do when drawing.

I'm planning on a response post soon so that it won't seem like I am ignoring people's comments. I am just more concerned with getting as much art as I can up and keeping myself drawing.

Newly Updated 11/29