Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > GALLERY > Sketchbooks
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2006, 09:34 PM   #1
b1zz0b
Put your pants down.

Send a message via AIM to b1zz0b
Default Uncle Bob's Sketchbook *Update: 09/30/07*

Summer semester classes are over, and so now it is time for me to draw as much as possible, and time to get a sketchbook going.

Welcome to my world. My sketches are often quite raw, unfinished, and very messy. I also do a lot of small gestures, and most of my concept drawings are little more than gestures themselves.

Anyway, this is too much talk for a sketchbook thread, so on with the pics:

Old piece that I thought I'd start off with, to show you where I am coming from. This is from sometime in the past 4 years, some PSO fanart. I played too much of that game, and many other games during this period and didn't draw much.

This is one of the Fox concepts for the second incarnation of the strip version of my comic.

And these are some concepts for Rabbit's costume for the full comic version.

Heres a quick nude that I really like except for that one arm that is really messed up.

Here is an unfinished concept for another character in the comic that will come later.

For all those tired of all this Fox and Rabbit stuff, here is one I did a little while ago of a character from a graphic novel story that I am developing. She's a suicidally depressed courier in a large city that finds herself stuck in the middle of a 9/11-style situation while delivering a package. The story is pretty much what would happen if Chuck Palahniuk was channeling Michael Moore while re-writing the original Die Hard script from a post 9/11 standpoint. I am currently trying to cut the script down as much as possible so that I can actually get this one out there. If I could get it down to 4 issues that would be awesome.

Some more Fox and Rabbit stuff. This one was worked in the WIP section around the time I joined up. The girl is the same character as the concept 2 pics up.

There you have it, a collection of some of my doodles. I will post some more that where posted elswhere on these boards as well as some all new material shortly.

Last edited by b1zz0b : 09-30-2007 at 03:06 AM.
b1zz0b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 11:48 PM   #2
Gamerdork
Wants to float.

Send a message via ICQ to Gamerdork Send a message via AIM to Gamerdork Send a message via MSN to Gamerdork Send a message via Yahoo to Gamerdork

I think you should make your legs longer and make your waists wider. You know that whole anatomy lecture.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:12 AM   #3
Threes
umop episdn

Send a message via AIM to Threes Send a message via MSN to Threes Send a message via Yahoo to Threes

i like the stylized anatomy i think the poses are really well done! they dont look too stiff or too lax, ya man?

the waists are painfully thin, but its not like you can't tell what they are!
Old 08-02-2006, 12:34 PM   #4
b1zz0b
Put your pants down.

Thanks for the comments you guys. The small waists are style, you can blame my girlfriend's own comic proportions and a healthy dose of J. Scott Campbell's (Danger Girl) influence for that.

I will try to keep it in mind when sketching stuff that isn't related to my comic. The legs are getting a bit short, I will address that, I seem to have gone from one extreame to the other on those. Time for some more study now that I have the time.

I plan to have some fresh stuff tonight/tomorrow, but for now I will collect some of the work that has been seen around these boards since I joined (and some that hasn't).

This was worked out in the WIP section. Pencils and inks.

This one wasn't ever posted here. It's an unfinished panel from an aborted start to my comic. There are about as many parts of this that I like as there are that I hate.

Also worked in the WIP section, this one has actually been worked on a little more, addressing the stiff arm to the left, I just have yet to scan in an update. I may finish this one eventually, I really like it's potential.

I think this was my first post on the boards, along with the strip I posted in the comic section.

Here is something I was working on for my brother's birthday that I never got to finish...oopes. It is a re-design of his childhood comic hero creation: Super Tiger. I made him a lot less of a Superman ripoff, and much more feral, seeing as his origins place him in the jungle. The talking sword was actually his sidekick, a man made of a sword who himself wielded 2 swords...ahh the imagination of a child! I simplified the design to just a talking sword. The eyes in the BG are from Super Tiger's arch nemesis, Thunder (an evil storm cloud). I planned to CG in the clouds around the eyes, and to render Thunder's pal, Lightning in as well. My brother had some really wack concepts.

A little comic I threw together during the haze known as highschool down here in the south, close to the cheap and plentiful crops imported from Mexico.

I don't think this one was ever posted either, it's a pic of one of the baddies to come in my comic.

A series I published on my myspace blog during the making of the 4th strip of Fox and Rabbit, which can be seen in my comic thread. Conceptual layout, final pencils and inks.

Last edited by b1zz0b : 09-10-2006 at 12:47 AM.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:24 PM   #5
b1zz0b
Put your pants down.

Been in something of an art slump recently, finally got something going tonight.

Here are the pencils to the first cover of my comic. I scan in my stuff before inking, I find that it helps me spot problem spots (such as the knee in the foreground...I will be re-drawing it completely).

Anyway, I will have inks soon.

(edit)

Here they are:

Last edited by b1zz0b : 08-14-2006 at 11:32 PM.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:38 PM   #6
b1zz0b
Put your pants down.

Man, I had to dig pretty far down to find this.

These first two are either WIPs or abandonned sketches...only time will tell.

Rabbit in gown:

Unfinished Rabbit:

This next one is four headshots done on blank index cards while in a waiting room. First two are Rabbit, the next two are updates of some characters from my high school comic, Stiletto. I am trying to find some time to "re-master" that comic and put it up again.

Been sort of blocked recently, been doing a lot of junk doodling and gestural stuff. More to come soon, hopefully.

(edit)

One more I just whipped up, this is one of those characters above, there was a lot of nudity in the world of Stiletto, lol. I guess it's because I was beginning high school at the time I developed it.

The half-assed fire was added, and it threw off my lightsource; this pic is going nowhere.

Last edited by b1zz0b : 09-01-2006 at 12:11 AM.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:24 PM   #7
b1zz0b
Put your pants down.

Ok, I've been able to put some time in on my comic lately, and almost have the first 4 pages inked and ready to go. (colors have been giving me some trouble, as I am new to the whole CG thing...I might post up some rough WIPs later to show)

Anyway, the first two pages, previously posted on PK (actually, I don't know if the second one was or not):

I'm not a fan of how the gun turned out at all in the second page, but whatever, I've decided to just have fun and move along on this project.

Ok, here is the almost-finished page 3:

A lot of time passed between starting this page, and finishing it, half the panels are about 2 months old, half are new. It is unfinished as in it needs backgrounds added to a few panels, especially the large one, which is to show a group of bots coming up.

And here is a very rough digital camera shot of page 4's pencils:

Once I stick my page up to my board, it doesn't move until I'm finished, so I apologize for the camera shot, but I don't think it turned out too bad (I couldn't get it straight-on without casting a nasty shadow on it).

Ok, thats it for now, I might add some very rough color/shaded jobs later on.

(edit)

Oopes, forgot to post this one as well. This was a gift for my girlfriend for her birthday back in December, and was actually the project that got me back into drawing/comics, ending the 5 year slump. This was also the point where I shifted to a more cartoonish look.

Sorry for the digital photo, but this is behind glass in a frame. The panels are cut from cardboard, and there are points where there are actual layers separating characters from the background. It looks a lot better in person, and will probably use the technique again later on to better effect.

Last edited by b1zz0b : 09-06-2006 at 01:47 PM.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:39 AM   #8
b1zz0b
Put your pants down.

Ok, I need some help here.

I've got some WIPs here to show, and I need some advice.

First off, partially shaded(same as the strips were) page one:

Next, an attempt at coloring the cover:

I don't know. I am saving up for a tablet, and then I can get serious about coloring outside of cel-shading. For now I am thinking maybe doing the comic in greys, and color the covers as practice excercise as well as coloring other pieces I may work on. I am moving way too slow on the colors, and just want the comic to get moving already.

Thoughts, etc, are welcome.

(edit for sxey's post below)

I am flattered by your comments, gives me fuel to get back out there and keep on. I will try to scan in the piece I have planned for tonight in stages and I can put it up. I've got an older one from right before I joined the board a few months back. I've put up part of this series before, not sure if I posted the whole thing here before, but I've used it to demo line weight importance a few times. I originally did this series to show my non drawing friends the process that goes into a decent drawing, that it isn't just one big doodle.

Anyway:

Step 1 - Rough Layout

Step 2 - Define the Anatomy

Step 3 - Begin to add the details

Step 4 - Fine-tune the details, put down a thin ink outline

Step 5 - Erase the pencils, fill the black areas

Step 6 - Painstakingly weight the lines to taste

There you have it, I'm off to start on my drawing for the evening, some fan art so it will be something different.

Last edited by b1zz0b : 09-07-2006 at 02:59 PM.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:50 AM   #9
Threes
umop episdn

Send a message via AIM to Threes Send a message via MSN to Threes Send a message via Yahoo to Threes

your art is ridiculously amazing.. even in the sketches they look 3D and... real!!

hey i like how you posted the art in steps from rough pencil to the clean lineart... could you do more of that?
Old 09-08-2006, 12:24 AM   #10
b1zz0b
Put your pants down.

Thanks sxey, I edited my above post with an old step-by-step series if you didn't notice yet.

Anyway I didn't finish the piece I was working on tonight, it took me too long to start. I wanted it to be fan art of something, but I couldn't settle on both a subject and pose for a few hours.

Here's a quickie I did to try to warm up. 10 mins max.

It's Skin from Generation X proving to the world that he isn't dead, he just faked it...again. I want to do a full Skin piece, but it just wasn't working tonight, but I got the ball rolling on a Penance piece that I scanned in series. I'm posting the parts I have now to make me have to finish this tomorrow.

1) Very rough layout

2) Rough Layout and face. If I can't get a decent face, there's really no point in moving on. A good face can set the tone of the image, and give you something to work from when fleshing out the rest of the figure.

3) This one I finished up one hand, and re-drew the other arm, it wasn't working. This way looks better as well. I moved her hips down, and will move them once again next time. I threw on some placeholder hair for tonight to make it actually look like her at this stage.

Anyway, I had the idea to do a mini-tutorial with tips I have on drawing different body parts that people often have trouble with starting out. Especially hands, I think I can usually draw good hands.

(edit)

Little Update, I'll have the finishing ones later.

Last edited by b1zz0b : 09-08-2006 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:19 PM   #11
b1zz0b
Put your pants down.

Ok, here are the next 2 in series for the Penance WIP.

5) I edited several parts of the figure and straps.

6) Final pencils. It's been a real fun piece, first time in a while I've done something other than an original character. I say this is final pencils, but since this one is sort of a mess, I will ink the lines, clean it up, and then use a mechanical pencil to apply the fine details. So there will be some more pencils, I just can't be bothered to whip out the kneaded eraser since I do my own inks.

This piece needed a LOT of erasing and re-draws, and didn't follow my usually more organized and ritualistic approach as detailed in the other Rabbit demo above. Anyway, I'm going to take a breather and maybe start on the inks and detailing soon to finish this baby for real.

So...any other Generation X fans out there?

(edit)

Last night I learned of a contest going on for an upcoming movie that I had not heard about, Renaissance. It is animated in 3D, then cel-shaded in black and white, so think Jet Set Radio meets Sin City. Freaking awesome.

Anyway, I'll be doing more tests like this today, I learned a lot doing them, but they suck. I need to work out some sort of style to use, I want to simplify it from the movie a bit (which is really, really detailed), since I am opting to enter it as a comic.

Contest is on DevArt for all you interested fellow DevArters.

Last edited by b1zz0b : 09-09-2006 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:38 AM   #12
b1zz0b
Put your pants down.

Did another Renaissance test...it's complete crap, although there are some parts of it that I did towards the end that I liked where it was starting to go. I'll keep at it.

Gasp! The anatomical proportions are quite...normal!

I enhaled a little too much sharpie fumes on these tests, so I took a break and inked and detailed the Penance WIP. Check it out now:

First off, to anyone who noticed how jacked up the strap buckles were before and DIDN'T say anything...

I had a bad feeling about the buckles right before I inked them, got some ref (looked at my belt) and realized that I had them really, really screwed up. Good thing I caught it in time. I also added the folds to the bandages, this thing looks freaking sweet now. Next you see it, it will be weighted and finished. There are 2 errors in inking that need erased in PS...can you spot them?

Anyway, for anyone who doesn't know, Penance was one of the teen mutants of Generation X, part of the X-Men family of comics. She was mysteriously dropped off on the school grounds bound in bandages and shackles. Her mind is damaged, operating instead on instinct like an animal (but is as loyal as a dog). She has diamond-hard skin and razor-sharp talons. Disregard anything you read on her origins, which is one of the lamest (and confusing) origin revelations in the history of Marvel...I like to pretend that it never happend (like the death of Skin, as I mentioned in an above post).

(edit)

Here is a closeup detail of the face and hair after I made the lines juicy.

Makes quite a difference.

Last edited by b1zz0b : 09-10-2006 at 01:49 AM.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:22 PM   #13
b1zz0b
Put your pants down.

Update time.

First order of business, the finished lineart for the Penance piece:

I'm calling this final inks, but going to ink in some more shadows in PS when I color it. This is a coloring guinea pig project for me.

Next is something I'm working on for my girlfriend. She wanted me to draw a naked cyborg girl. When I told her that the visual conventions for such a thing were usually quite grotesque, she specified that it was to be a sexy cyborg. She posed for ref, and I fused some real life observation with some style. I am really happy with the results so far, I may have to get her to pose some more.

Scanned into a slight sequence.

See, I built the form pretty much as usual, except instead of my canned shapes I have from observation/study/style, I get to observe and play with custom shapes. Sweet. I really like the change to the style of the arms and legs.

The only thing she specified when I was designing the arm was that she wanted big screws holding it together.

Sexy, isn't she? The funny thing is that I only had her posing for the first stage shown in the first pic, so the breasts were done from memory. When I showed her this last stage she said that I had drawn them exactly as they are. I told her that I know them like the palm of my hand. *drumroll, please*

Well that's it for the freakshow tonight, although I may be back for a special midnight update.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:46 PM   #14
b1zz0b
Put your pants down.

Alright, I've got two sketches for tonight.

It seems that everywhere you look these days people are doing TMNT stuff, so I jumped on board with a pair of sketches.

Drawing the guys is always fun, it's been years since I've drawn them, a lot of years.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:05 AM   #15
Threes
umop episdn

you should draw the power rangers....

maybe you could fix the anatomy on the second sketch around his legs... and the first sketch his head looks like its gonna fall off... but these are so cool, otherwise!! i used to love ninja turtles
Old 09-13-2006, 12:48 PM   #16
hanzozuken
ZUKKKEEENNNEEDDD!!!!

you got style down but you need to work on your faces a little. more like positioning and the 3/4 views. the side of the face isnt supposed to be that sharp or pointy but i dont know if its a style thing, great linework though

hanzozuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 01:49 PM   #17
Jigo
Karbonite
Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Song Illustration Contest '07 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Pimp This Sketch Contest '10 
Total Awards: 2

While I love the clean lineart, I am not too fond of the wacked anatomy. I mean, compression and stretching are fine, stylistically or whatever but this gets kind of ridiculous for me.

The style is cool though, very consistent and clean. good characteristics to have.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:01 PM   #18
b1zz0b
Put your pants down.

Sxey: Power Rangers? Eh...maybe one day. I was only into Power Rangers briefly, wasn't really my thing. It would have to be the originals, because all those other versions were wack. I just realized the other day as the latest version was playing on TV that the show has been on FOREVER in some form or another.

Screw it, I want to do a Power Ranger piece now, but it will have to be the coolest picture ever.

Yes, Raphs legs are messed up, these were both quick sketches, 10-15mins, I usually spend more like 2-3 hours on a piece (excluding the inking time, just pencil; I'm not the fastest doodler around). I'm still unsure of the fate of the Raph piece, I may fix it up and finish, but the Don piece is just a doodle. I've also got a Leo sketch that is definately the worst of the bunch.

Hanzozuken: Thanks for the crits and comments, were you talking about just the TMNT sketches or in general? The heads of the turtles are a bit messed up, as is a lot of the anatomy. I think the Raph piece was a lot better since I'd already done a few TMNT sketches by then.

What I really like about TMNT is that the artists generally play around a lot with the anatomy, and use a lot of very angular and boxed shapes. I personally like angles a lot, I love cubism, and other styles that express complex shape thru angular form. You can probably see the impact on my work by now, I take any opportunity I can get to throw in some corners.

I'll definately be doing some more TMNT, at least until I get one good finished piece.

Thanks for the comments, you two, I'll be up to something else today, although I am not sure what yet.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:06 PM   #19
hanzozuken
ZUKKKEEENNNEEDDD!!!!

i was talking more in reference to the pinup with the black dude. his facial proportions are off and the side of his face seems too pointy to me. the tmnt looks good so i wasnt refering to that.

hanzozuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 08:08 PM   #20
b1zz0b
Put your pants down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigokuen
While I love the clean lineart, I am not too fond of the wacked anatomy. I mean, compression and stretching are fine, stylistically or whatever but this gets kind of ridiculous for me.

The style is cool though, very consistent and clean. good characteristics to have.
Missed you last time around, must have posted as I was replying to the rest. Sorry to hear that I am pushing things too far for your tastes, but that's just what I like, and it's where I'm at right now.

My tastes are quite the opposite, I don't really like the more realistic comic styles (pick up almost any Marvel book right now...yuck). I am of the opinion that a photo is the ultimate way to capture an image from life, so a drawing should push things beyond what you would see or is even possible in the real world. To me, it was the invention of the camera that liberated art, and made it...well...art. I draw my hands large because hands are very expressive and I want to exaggerate that expression, (the funny thing is that no one has yet called me on that one, it seems to be a more prevalent and accepted distortion) I push the camera angles as far as possible because I can, and I feel it adds to the intensity of the elements of almost comic-violence that have been creeping into my work...and I watched Dead Leaves at the point where I started to get down to drawing again, it blew my mind. My waists are thin because...well, I don't really have an answer to that one, you can blame Scott Campbell's last-minute influence on that one.

The waists are actually something I want to work on. They aren't going to go completely, but I want to start bringing in a little more diversity of body types in my stuff. Despite what you may think looking at my depictions of the female form, I really like (I'm not going to say "chunkier", it sounds negative) "healthy" women...you know what I mean. I suggested and supported my girlfriend gaining almost 20 pounds, and she looks better now than ever (and her breasts are quite a bit larger! ).

lol, anyway. Thanks for the comments, you can't please them all, as they say, but I hope it grows on you somewhat. I try hard to get that clean look in my lines, but I want to mess around with some "dirtier" ink techniques at some point to see what I can come up with.

I am one long winded bastard...on to the post finally:

I've been back to the drawing game for several months now, and I'll admit I have been neglecting my excercises. I haven't drawn much from reference lately, and I decided that it was way past time to get out some ref and do some sketches. I collected some photos, and will be doing a lot more of these.

I am trying to resolve some of the issues my style has vs. reality with these, to see if I can't find some sort of compromise. Fox and Rabbit will always be very stylized, that's just the nature of the comic, but I don't want to get stuck in that fantasy world forever. Anyway, I really like this one, I might even tweak and finish it, so any crits would be most welcome.

I started to half-ass parts of this one, so I stopped here. Waists are still kind of thin, but you can blame the model for that one, not me.

Anyway, I've wasted enough of your time. Peace.