Alucard1515
BANNED? You tell me?

Awards Showcase
2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Video Game Sequential Contest '07 
Total Awards: 1

Send a message via AIM to Alucard1515
Default Photoshop and perspective

Photoshop and perspective.

First off, I'm going to assume anyone reading this has a basic understanding of perspective already. I'm not going through basics of one, two, and three point perspective here. I'm just going to show you a method I sometimes use in Photoshop to help get me through some perspective problems. It's generally easier to do simple forms directly on the paper, but sometimes you have to do some complicated shapes, particularly curved shapess, and this can be aided by using Photoshop. It may not be the best way, but it's just something I do occassionally.

I generally start with a thumbnail or rough with everything indicated so I have a starting point, but I'm just showing you the method here. First of all, you'll need to establish a horizon line and vanishing points. I'm going to use two point perspective in the examples. It's usually a good idea to have your vanishing points OUTSIDE the image area to create less distortion, so I've indicated an image area with the grey box. Keep in mind, perspective can get messy. I'll usually have HUGE canvas areas just to fit the points on them (theyr're usually much further away). These examples are simplified, so they're not nearly as extreme. I'd also recommend keeping all this stuff on separate layers so if you screw something up you don't erase all this stuff. Anyway, here's the first example.

Now you're going to add a path for each vanishing point. I usually make them with three points just so I can see two lines from a VP at once, but as long as there's a point at the VP and one to play with, you're fine. I'd recommend zooming in to make sure the point is as close to the center of your VP as possible to make sure everything is pretty accurate.

These paths just make it easier to draw lines in perspective. To use the paths to do so, just select one group and then select the stroke option in the paths display. Unless you want to have a line going from the VP to the endpoint, use the marquee tool to select an area to constrain the lines drawn.

Now just draw out the vertical sides, and the other receding edges the same way.

Okay, great, now we have... a box. Let's say you wanted to do something interesting with it now, say make an archway on one side? I usually do this on the same image in a blank area, but for clarity, I'm going to draw this separately. This is fairly simple, so I won't show you ever step. Just turn the gridlines (with snap) to help line everything up, and then just use the selection tools to create a flat archway.

Now drag that image onto the other one and select tranform > distort. Then you'll want to drag the corners of this image to each of the corners on the side of the box. This gives you an archway in perspective!

Just draw in the receding lines.

Like I mentioned, that's just a basic example. There's a lot of different ways you could use this. I've set up small town scenes using this method a lot. It's also good for large elliptical areas or setting up grids. Generally when using this method, I just print it out then use a light box or transfer it to the paper. I wish I had some of the examples I did from Photoshop, but I generally trash them after I'm done. Here's an image I used the method with, though.

The entire city was done using this method. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

100 sketches in 100 days
Sketchbook
Alucard1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 11:51 AM   #2
Alphaf
Karbophile

Send a message via MSN to Alphaf

I have a question... but its sorta rhetorical... now why the **** didnt I think of that? That's really awesome and simple, maybe itll help me start drawing backgrounds for a change.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:13 PM   #3
Omega Monkey 13
F.Y.I I hate you

Send a message via MSN to Omega Monkey 13 Send a message via Yahoo to Omega Monkey 13

man everthing except the last pic is a red x. What hosting site are u using for the pics.
Omega Monkey 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:09 PM   #4
Alucard1515
BANNED? You tell me?

Awards Showcase
2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Video Game Sequential Contest '07 
Total Awards: 1

Send a message via AIM to Alucard1515

My webhost is shit.

My site went down for several days. I emailed them. Nothing happened. I kept pestering them. They said if I had a back up for my site (despite the fact that THEY are supposed to keep backups of their members' sites), he could set up another account for me to use. I did not have all the files from my site, including these.

Since only one person ever bothered to comment on this, I figured no one was interested, and didn't feel like redoing the whole thing.

100 sketches in 100 days
Sketchbook
Alucard1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 07:36 AM   #5
Omega Monkey 13
F.Y.I I hate you

Send a message via MSN to Omega Monkey 13 Send a message via Yahoo to Omega Monkey 13

fair enough.
Omega Monkey 13 is offline   Reply With Quote