Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > ACTIVITIES > Exercise Yard
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2014, 10:33 AM   #61
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase
Boss Battle Contest - Winner: 1st place - Issue reason: Beat the scariest boss into a pulp 1st Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 1st Place:  - Issue reason: When Hell Freezes Over Contest '11 
Total Awards: 3

Send a message via Skype™ to astrapho

More fanart, my two next favorite characters, Bottle and Smiles (oops, screwed up perspective LOL)
astrapho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:09 AM   #62
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase
Boss Battle Contest - Winner: 1st place - Issue reason: Beat the scariest boss into a pulp 1st Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 1st Place:  - Issue reason: When Hell Freezes Over Contest '11 

just a really retarded painting I did to try out picking colors using the color palette thing in photoshop lol, it's such a relief from the silly color picker!!
Old 12-01-2014, 10:22 AM   #63
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase

Something different.... this style of artwork is something I'm interested in but kinda too intimidated to do until recently >.>

Last edited by astrapho : 12-01-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:47 PM   #64
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 
Total Awards: 1

Dat Anubis(?)
Grieverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:58 AM   #65
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase

Yarr, a cyborg clone of Anubis I'm doing for an indie game project xP

Study in progress......
Old 12-02-2014, 02:23 PM   #66
Lamb
christmas squid

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Hunters Contest '12 Boss Battle Contest - 2nd place:  - Issue reason: Had that cute crit glyph 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: LEGO Illustration Contest '11 
Total Awards: 4

Send a message via ICQ to Lamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrapho
Yarr, a cyborg clone of Anubis I'm doing for an indie game project xP
That is just the coolest thing ever.

The study is amazing as well. You are so good at picking your values.

http://chronoray.tumblr.com/
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 10:18 AM   #67
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase

Hey Lamb, thanks The rgb method is freaking amazing for being able to control values and colors at the same time. Cannot recommend it enough!

Something light today. Just trying out a viking + cossack culture mash lmao

Old 12-04-2014, 07:02 PM   #68
muzz
karbogasm

RGB method for lyfe yo!

I wanna see you do some expression studies on your stylized heads !?
Old 12-13-2014, 05:56 AM   #69
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase

Challenge accepted muzz.

Tired all week so no studies, just fun doodles... exploring something i've always sucked at: linework. Cleanup just takes forrreevveer! I don't know what I'm doing wrong hahaha.

I think my inner animator is showing lmaoo

Been thinking of starting a comic thingy... I've got most of the story down, playing around with the characters.
(if there are similarities it's because this is design draft 2 of the same character lmao)
Old 12-13-2014, 07:37 AM   #70
Lamb
christmas squid

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Hunters Contest '12 Boss Battle Contest - 2nd place:  - Issue reason: Had that cute crit glyph 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: LEGO Illustration Contest '11 
Total Awards: 4

Send a message via ICQ to Lamb

Quote:
exploring something i've always sucked at: linework. Cleanup just takes forrreevveer! I don't know what I'm doing wrong hahaha.
First: these are amazing.

Second: Lineart is actually quite easy (to understand - I still suck at it because I cannot really draw). You are using a line to define an object in space, so the more you draw and think about it, the cleaner the lineart becomes on the first try. So maybe try to work less via trial and error and step away from the drawing more often to observe what the shapes you have down are already saying, they determine every other thing you add. Do not rely on a few learned shapes to make it easier.

Instead of approximating a line and figuring out if it works or not, try figuring it out first and then put it down. The lineart will become much more precise. (I am a sucker for Mateo de Longis and Alessandro Barbucci, because they do this in a very comprehensible and obvious way).

Image 46. the portrait with the grey hat. Eyes are basically ellipses in perspective. Do both ellipses lay on the same plain in the same perspective?

portrait in the bottom right with the hat and pipe: is the nose facing the same direction as the rest of the face and is this the most effective way of conveying its shape and volume?

They are very little things that will push your expression drawings, and you will gain absolute control over your drawings. Even in cartoony drawings, all the features are the same, it is just the choice of expressing them that changes.

http://chronoray.tumblr.com/
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 08:27 AM   #71
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase

Makes a lot of sense. I see what you mean about those faces. I think you nailed my biggest problem when you say figure it out first before putting it down, no wonder cleanup becomes a nightmare. Thanks so much for the crits and tips Lamb, I'll definitely try it next round and see how it works
Old 12-25-2014, 11:02 AM   #72
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase

Haha been slacking off... merry xmas, have a dancing hippo
Old 01-02-2015, 01:11 PM   #73
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase

was in the mood for some landscape work... boyyy this thing is tough! taking my time, still a wip. hello 2015

Old 01-02-2015, 09:53 PM   #74
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
still a wip.
Grieverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:59 AM   #75
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase

haha joe xD

52. Painted part of my desk

Old 01-09-2015, 08:44 AM   #76
muzz
karbogasm

What Even Is That Dog Thing?
Old 01-09-2015, 10:45 AM   #77
Anyte
The Unsmiling

Quote:
merry xmas, have a dancing hippo
"I want a hippopotamus for Christmas / Only a hippopotamus will do"
Gayla Peevey.

For a minute there I thought I needed to have my eyes checked ... like maybe I was just misinterpreting the head or something. I love it.

The landscape looks so lush it makes the hideously frigid temps (-23+ windchills) seem a little bit further away ... sorta ... my feet are still cold.

Norman Bates as mother - Psycho
Anyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 09:22 PM   #78
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase

@Muzz: A bobblehead thing I got for a gift, it looks so goofy when it's bobbling cos its face is so serious lmfao xP

@anyte: Thanks! I ran into a lot of trouble attempting to capture that lush effect... still trying to figure the foreground out >.>

Lighting/color study thingy. Arya is such a lovely brat lmfao
Old 01-15-2015, 01:28 AM   #79
muzz
karbogasm

I really really like how you are handling matte surfaces and blur. Uuugh, you are getting so good.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:26 AM   #80
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase

Thanks Muzz Trying to tackle my weaknesses haha.

after a long time not making paintings I now tend to have a great deal of trouble making them, so here I'm going to make another attempt. The thumbnail to full painting stage is absolutely a nightmare for me hahaha. I'm going to try again with something kinda easier... wish me luck >-<