Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > ACTIVITIES > Exercise Yard
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 12:49 PM   #21
Espresso
best served delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOldie

Reply:

I don't do clowns so here's a sort of early 1900's gunslinger chick instead.
I guess no one liked the clown, so since Oldie replied with that, here is my reply of the reply , a `replay` if you will.
Spoiler:

Last edited by Espresso : 05-03-2013 at 05:57 AM. Reason: New version below
Espresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:56 AM   #22
Espresso
best served delicious

Minor fixes
Old 06-07-2013, 07:20 AM   #23
Espresso
best served delicious

I remade the challenge image. Featured below.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:37 PM   #24
X Chris
Untitled Document

Send a message via ICQ to X Chris Send a message via AIM to X Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espresso
I guess no one liked the clown, so since Oldie replied with that, here is my reply of the reply , a `replay` if you will.
Spoiler:

Good thinking:

Hmm... am I caught up?
Old 06-17-2013, 08:22 AM   #25
Espresso
best served delicious

Yep. Now you can post whatever you want.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:27 PM   #26
RetiredOldie
Biggu Bosu

reply:

assignment:

Since i'm lazy, just going to throw this in advance.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:02 AM   #27
Espresso
best served delicious

X Chris: That digital shading is great, and I like the expression! I think thatís what I should work on next, shadows and expressions. Should I wait for your challenge X Chris, before posting my new response to RO?

RetiredOldie: I like the stance. I'm currently painting my response. It will take a couple of days. I'm not quite good at speed painting speedily yet. What is the source background?
Old 07-22-2013, 10:23 AM   #28
Espresso
best served delicious

Old 09-07-2013, 11:37 AM   #29
Espresso
best served delicious

Spoiler:

Update as of September 7, 2013

______________|_ES____|____XC____|____RO____|
BookWarrior____|_x______|____x_____|_____x_____|
SwordGal______|_x______|____x_____|_____x_____|
PointingLady____|_x______|____x_____|_____x_____|
Angrybirdy_____|_x______|____x_____|_____x_____|
SnowglobeLady_|_x______|____x_____|_____x_____|
Gunslinger/Clown|_x______|____x_____|_____x_____|
ShortsDude____|_x______|__________|_____x_____|
SomeFace_____|_x______|____x_____|_____x_____|
SpaceSuitGal___|_x______|____x_____|___________|
DogKnight_____|_x______|__________|_____x_____|

Update as of September 24, 2013

______________|_ES____|____XC____|____RO____|
BookWarrior____|_x______|____x_____|_____x_____|
SwordGal______|_x______|____x_____|_____x_____|
PointingLady____|_x______|____x_____|_____x_____|
Angrybirdy_____|_x______|____x_____|_____x_____|
SnowglobeLady_|_x______|____x_____|_____x_____|
Gunslinger/Clown|_x______|____x_____|_____x_____|
ShortsDude____|_x______|____x_____|_____x_____|
SomeFace_____|_x______|____x_____|_____x_____|
SpaceSuitGal___|_x______|____x_____|___________|
DogKnight_____|_x______|_____x____|_____x_____|

Last edited by Espresso : 09-23-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Espresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:57 PM   #30
X Chris
Untitled Document

The checklist is handy, Espresso. We should use it to keep track of things from now on.

Found in a folder from March:

Demoing the vector app Mischief:

Old 09-23-2013, 11:25 PM   #31
Espresso
best served delicious

Oh wow - those are great! The expressions and the arm.

Coincidently, I was working on re-doing the space-gal image of mine just today. I'm glad we might get this thread going again, because I have 2 hours before my User Interface class every Monday and Wednesday where I am just sitting in a computer lab with a Wacom drawing tablet with only Homework to do...
VS.
Sept 2013 VS March 2013
Old 05-25-2014, 05:02 PM   #32
X Chris
Untitled Document

Old 05-30-2014, 08:54 AM   #33
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

You know that last pic has inspired me for some practice in designing characters and i thought i might come up with my own interpretation of the character.

Ok... Not exactly, but what it they were from the same faction? My idea was that the 2 belonged to a cult that would steal the faces of its foes or victims to feed to their evil gods. They would be predominately nomadic/persian/death motif influence and would have been adorned with spikes and spears to stick their grisly trophies of faces.

In this case however the idea didn't quite develop properly as i was going for a champion who would have a retainer/man servant thing that would be just covered in the flesh of the guys victims. So you know, the champion didn't have to carry the stuff around. Instead the champion would carry the important ones like the masks of rivals or his predacessor (whom he killed to reach the rank of champion).

But here's my quick pic It served as a useful exercise in practicing some new techniques of texture. Hind sight i could have made the figure wider to create a more developed look. But i was doing this for an hour and a bit and making it up as i went along.

"Life is one great journey. Shame about the destination"
johnway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:45 AM   #34
X Chris
Untitled Document

HERE COMES A NEW CHALLENGER!

"Johnway!"

If an SE can have three players, why not four? Espresso's participation table will need an update, though:

(last updated 07 Jun 2014: JW's SpaceSuitGal)
Code:
________________|_ES_|_XC_|_RO_|_JW_|
BookWarrior     | O  | x  | x  |____|
SwordGal        | x  | x  | O  |____|
PointingLady    | O  | x  | x  |____|
Angrybirdy      | x  | O  | x  |____|
SnowglobeLady   | x  | O  | x  |____|
Gunslinger/Clown| o  | x  | o  |____|
ShortsDude      | x  | x  | O  |____|
SomeFace        | O  | x  | x  |____|
SpaceSuitGal    | O  | x  |____| x  |
DogKnight       | x  | x  | O  |____|
ManyFacesGuy____|____|_O__|____|_x__|
                | 10 | 11 | 9  | 2  | total
                |4.5 | 3  |3.5 | 0  | originals
Your turn, Johnway. Or anybody.

Last edited by X Chris : 06-07-2014 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Update to league table: JW's spacesuit gal
X Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:55 AM   #35
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

I might have to have a crack at some of the other ones. I did have book warrior*/ spacesuit gal idea but do i have to follow the original or
am i allowed to adapt and improve?

*My idea of book warrior was to be a quasi superhero girl who smacked people with books and teaching hard science or hard facts of life.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:55 AM   #36
X Chris
Untitled Document

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnway
do i have to follow the original or am i allowed to adapt and improve?
The general idea is to follow the original and create your own in turn. In practice, "following" always involves at least some adaptation. Sometimes a lot. The previous rounds will give you a feel for how we've been playing it so far (the green Os in the table are links to originals; the Xs are responses).

If in doubt, just draw.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:39 AM   #37
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

So the weekend came about and i decided to complete another of the excercise yard. This one is the space girl. LONG TEXT AHEAD

I have mixed feelings with the picture. Whilst i have learnt a fair few things today, i felt that i didn't do the picture justice. I had drawn 10 different poses and ideas to flesh out the image and i decided to pick this one. The functional yet ultimately boring pose.

I did do some quick study on space suits over the week and decided whether i wanted to go for the realistic proper route or something else. I had my mind set to be a space activity suit. I opted this purely because i was drawing a female and being able to get the curves drawn. Oh and it saved me time drawing creases which sadly i have yet to improve on. Other problems i had to figure out was more of a real life one and it was how would the space girl check her vitals and such. Real life space suits are unwieldy/restrictive and they have to use mirrors or a colleague to check vitals and stats. I simple wrist computer would suffice but how would we gather data? Answer was to use body sensors attached to the body.

I had been chuffed with the idea until i realized that somehow i was unintentionally coping neon genesis evangelion and i hadn't noticed it (I've seen pictures but never ever watched the anime). My smug face was quickly wiped off as i struggled to find another stylish answer and i came up empty and opted to go along with it.

Anyway, the drawing itself. The design i was more or less thankful as it saved me time working out what i wanted to draw. I had done some mock up colour schemes as i felt it could be better designed. I had wanted to use lines and stripes to practice some theory i had been studying but in the end i chose not to mess with the concept anymore and rip the whole idea to shreds.

I did some practice inking and i may have been far too heavy handed. Next time only the edge of the person first and think very carefully about the other ones. I painted extra seams and scratches which i felt were quite a nice touch. I also practiced a few other techniques i picked up, like draw hair by using the lasso tool and applying make up. Yes, i also went onto the internet and tried searching how to apply make up properly in the hopes that maybe i'll learn color theory and also brush strokes to help me color the face in. Not sure if that proved all that useful.

Overall, i feel i've learnt something which is the most important thing but i still have a long long way to go.

Old 06-08-2014, 02:36 AM   #38
X Chris
Untitled Document

Strong work, Johnway. I've updated the (latest) table.

(@Espresso: Feel free to grab this script to generate the bbcode to update the top post or wherever we're keeping the old table.)

I appreciate how thorough (and honest) you are when writing up your process. Exploring different options with quick sketches before committing to one is a great way to work. Do real-life spacesuits really use mirrors to check vitals?

You can rest easy about copying NGE (unintentionally or not). If there is a perfect place for that, it should be the exercise yard of pK. You're obviously hellbent on gaining experience and building your skills (go you), and practicing successful designs seems like a canny strategy to that end. Also, I'm pretty sure that sci-fi costumes involving tube-connected body widgets have a long and storied history of prior art.

One suggestion: Please scale down your images. On a vertical 1980x1050 browser window, I can just barely fit the latest image on one screen. It would be easier on everyone if the image posts were resized to something sane (a decent guideline would be a max of 800px per side), with a link to a hi-res version if you want to share it.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:57 AM   #39
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Hi xchris i'll reduce the size of the resolution. Initially i created this one in 2000x3000 and cut it in half. I was going to keep with the shrunk resolution deviant art shows most of its pictures but generally i make them bigger so that you can see all the effort and detail i put into them.

Quote:
I appreciate how thorough (and honest) you are when writing up your process. Exploring different options with quick sketches before committing to one is a great way to work. Do real-life spacesuits really use mirrors to check vitals?
Indeed they do. The vitals/control modules are on the front of the suit but because the suits not particular flexible and cumbersome they rely on wrist mirrors to look. It was one of the things i wanted to ditch asap especially in a future theme. Hopefully today i'll do another picture. Probably the head one as thats generally what i do for weekends.

Old 06-14-2014, 06:10 AM   #40
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Ok this weeks update for "someface". I actually spend time last week drawing some of this. I managed to get the face sorted and this week finished all the other elements off. My comments on the piece here.

Apologies i tried to shrink the size of the pic and on deviant art it fitted on the screen. I'll just have to shrink it down completely in photoshop before uploading it on the site. Unless someone knows the code. Did have a look here.