Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > GALLERY > Sketchbooks
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2017, 07:15 AM   #641
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

its the weekend and more landscape practices. Not the most compelling image or location. But i was stuck between choosing roads that had nothing and urban areas that were far to complex. plus i had to get started on something and just picked something nice and simple.

Rather than copy the location straight up, i decided to make a few alterations here and there so that i can carry on and also make the picture read a bit better. Sadly i didn't take the street address on mapcrunch.

this one took about 2 hours.

"Life is one great journey. Shame about the destination"
johnway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 03:46 AM   #642
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

apologies for yesterday. Was busy with other stuff. more practice and this one was some unknown road in bhutan. i'm getting thoroughly sick of doing landscapes and especially when the results are terrible and i'm not learning anything.

i might have to try and practice doing one building or just a part of a building and focus on that. but i absolutely hate perspective drawing and that drains any enthusiasm for art. i might try some matte painting or something.

Old 05-06-2017, 07:06 AM   #643
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

its the weekend and its another terrible landscape that i didn't bother finishing.

Old 05-06-2017, 08:03 AM   #644
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 1st Place:  - Issue reason: When Hell Freezes Over Contest '11 Boss Battle Contest - Winner: 1st place - Issue reason: Beat the scariest boss into a pulp 
Total Awards: 3

Send a message via Skype™ to astrapho

I think it's great you're doing such consistent practice but I think now's the time where you should start taking a piece to a finish, you'll learn a lot more than only doing sketchy ones.
astrapho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 04:55 AM   #645
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Hi Astrapho i took your advice and decided to spend a bit more time on a picture this one was started last sunday and i did some finishing touches for an hour or 2.

This one is of labrousse, 16120 bouteville, france.

One of the biggest problems is drawing foliage that just blurs together into one mass yet remain seperate. i thought i might get round it with different colors and textures, but i haven't been particulary successful in this case. Might have to resort of lines worst case scenario.

I think i might take a break draw some thing personal away from refs to have some more interest in what i do. Might draw another figure.

Old 05-20-2017, 10:39 AM   #646
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Apologies for last week and apologies for the long post. I had hoped to get thumbnails ready by now but i wasn't feeling motivated and i just didn't know how to thumbnail properly so nothing was done on sunday.

For those of you who remember/care its about this time every year that i attempt to draw a piece of artwork in a library but every time i've done it, its fallen well short of the mark. if i recall it was a female librarian in a half finished library and the ever ongoing embarrassment that is bookwarrior exercise from the exercise yard on Pk.

Well, i'm hankering again to draw something in a library and this time i want to banish these demons and move on. Ref/inspiration photos have been grabbed and I've done some thumbnail sketches and fleshed out one of them. By no means am i continuing with this quick mock up. It has proven rather useful in fleshing out the idea and showing where the pitfalls of the idea.

but i'm already making critical mistakes in design. So i might spend tomorrow writing up a documentation before i start so that i obtain clear ideas/plan as to what i'm doing. The mock image is interesting, but it doesn't have any particular story behind it. Additionally the depth isn't there. I think part of the problem is that the focal point is on the Front rather than in the middle so it looks flat.

More tomorrow.

Old 05-21-2017, 03:06 AM   #647
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 1st Place:  - Issue reason: When Hell Freezes Over Contest '11 Boss Battle Contest - Winner: 1st place - Issue reason: Beat the scariest boss into a pulp 

Hey John, if you want to create depth then your answer lies in perspective more than the focal point, because you should be able to make your focal point whatever you please in the picture. I think your background facing the viewer square on like that is what's ruining your sense of depth. I did a quick paintover just skewing the bg, laying some perspective lines on it and giving it some thickness. When you do your new sketches don't forget to think about how you can suggest the perspective to the viewer.

Spoiler:
Old 05-21-2017, 05:40 AM   #648
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Nice. at the moment i'm still scratching around for ideas see what other ideas come out of it. I had hoped to do an upshot similar to what you had there, only problem was that i couldn't execute it so i left it basic 1, point perspective (drawing thumbnails and getting scaling right is proving problemmatic). Atm, i'm still bit blank as to how i convey the story.

i did jot some notes down as to parameters:

story - woman captivated by a magical book

Aymmetry -

reads/focal point - woman + magic book + spell itself?

FMB
- Forground - books?
- Middle ground - Woman with spell book, table
- Background - book shelf's nicknacks and doors, window?, second light source, maybe upper floors?

I'll try and get more thumbnails in this afternoon, but i'm a bit busy doing a spot of cooking atm. But again, cheers for the awesome example!

Old 05-27-2017, 07:39 AM   #649
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

weekend and preparing more thumbnails. I'm still coming up with ideas that doesn't satisfy or interest me. I think i'm going to have to decide between drawing a compelling detailed background or a fully fleshed out character atm, i'm not putting my heart into any of this.

i thought i had a flash of inspiration when i came up with an idea that the woman was so enthralled by her work that she was multitasking to the extreme. hee eyes would be staring in wonder looking at one book whilst one of her hands writing notes and the other is retrieving the next book (via magic). Opened books are floating all around her as her short attention span constantly zips between all the new material trying to soak it all in.

I could make something interesting with it, the pose would be all over the place and the magic element would add some dynamism to the story. Plus it would give me excuse to draw all sorts of random elements that would help with composition (pointing to the girl)

Theory is all well and good, in practice its not going so well. Thumbnails aren't offering much beyond a book shelf and a downwards spot light as elements. settling for a pose is proving tricky as well. Currently the sitting pose just doesn't give much opportunity for detail rendering and i don't her arms covering up any part of the body and such.

Another pose i wanted was the girl walking through the dark library casually pulling a book towards her using magic whilst there was a stack of books in the crook of her arm. Again, couldn't come up with the pose, so i discarded that one as well.

Old 06-03-2017, 10:33 AM   #650
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

apologies for sunday/monday. I was too busy to do anything decent and i spent most of monday sulking over my current picture. i felt like i spent several weeks doing absolutely nothing except hitting an art block and not really doing any practice. So i go back to what i usually do in these situations, reference picture:

i started off line sketch getting the measurements down and getting a basic flat down. during the process i take note of what the pressure points or tricky parts were going to be. normally at this point my heart sinks and i think that its another disaster in the making. i usually throw in some quick blending in the hopes i see any sign that everything will be ok.

Through out the week i spent probably any spare 30 to an hour working on the image. typically a bit at a time so by today, it looked a bit like this:

And this is today's work. theres light at the end of the tunnel, but i'm still a long way to finishing. I need to render the face, correct the arm, paint the champagne glass, render the lighting and after effects.

Old 06-03-2017, 08:13 PM   #651
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 
Total Awards: 1

Wow, man, great progress. Love how you did the folds on the dress.
Will there be a secondary light source? The fire stands out to me as the primary light source, so I think the shadows should be darker and cooler, and some ares (like her right arm, for example) should be in shadow, rather than in light.
If there is going to be a different source as the primary, I'd add some warm rim lighting to her left side, to show some light coming from the fire.
Good progress, though. Keep at it!
Grieverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 01:47 AM   #652
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Hi grieverjoe. The ref picture has some large spotlight shining down on the lady. I haven't actually added it yet. Looking at the ref, the stuff in the background doesn't appear to affect the figure in any way. the plan would be to blur the background a bit as well to increase distance. I'll get the link to the pic later.

Old 06-04-2017, 08:06 AM   #653
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

More work done on the picture. i spent some time cleaning up bits and pieces and concentrated on the glass and the face.

the glass was the fastest to sort out. Luckily i found a tutorial for drawing glass and liquids in glass and had a quick ref on champagne. i sort of winged it, i threw in a bit of red and pink for reflections and such.

the face was the real challenge. it was touch and go and it took a lot of painting over the same areas with multiple layers until it worked. A real challenge getting the tones right, but the lips and eyes were the parts i dreaded more. Mercifully, the original lines were good enough for me to simply paint over that to work. its not 100% partly because i made it up, but i'm pretty satisfied for now.

Now all we have to do are:

-the arm holding the glass (need to do the creases)

-The hair

-get the lighting properly sorted (at the moment we've added some to the skin, but it needs some tweaking)

-Any final corrections and textures.

EDIT: A thought has occured, that black sky is a bit drab, i wonder if i should move away from the ref and add something like some buildings? my only problem is that i will have to redo the lighting again...

the other issue could be composition could be messed up.

Last edited by johnway : 06-04-2017 at 08:18 AM.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:47 AM   #654
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnway
EDIT: A thought has occured, that black sky is a bit drab, i wonder if i should move away from the ref and add something like some buildings? my only problem is that i will have to redo the lighting again...

the other issue could be composition could be messed up.
Rules were meant to be broken, my friend.
However, my suggestion would be to leave it mostly dark so that the lady stands out more. Maybe add a touch of color, and some texture, to suggest a wall in the background. That way, you keep your composition and your lighting.
Loving the progress.
Grieverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:17 PM   #655
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase

I like the way you solved the texture on the sofa, very effective

I think you've improved on rendering, I like the way you did the colors on the face especially, but watch out, I think her nose and mouth are too low and far out. I also think there should be less contrast in her left leg with the calf muscles. nice material on the cloth though. Seconded Joe's suggestion about the background. good progress
Old 06-06-2017, 03:05 PM   #656
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Hi guys thanks for the replies. i'm still working on finishing the picture. the face area has bothered me as well, so i will be tweaking it once i merge all the layers.

The lighting still needs to be done, once i've finished it should hopefully make some sense. i've corrected the shoe a bit and also made an effort to sort out the hair.

the next plan is to fix the swollen hand and also perform a quick nose and mouth job. Currently its too far the uncanny valley atm I think widening it might be the best thing. But we will see.

i'm getting a little impatient as i'm so close to the end and additionally i'm eager to do sensistock's draw everything June but i'm already 3 days late. I could cop out and draw some cheap poses, but i want to put some effort into it. especially when other people have already.

Linky here if anyone's interested. There are prizes if you do all of them by the dead line!

Old 06-07-2017, 02:59 PM   #657
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Ok. The picture is finally finished! or as i'm prepared to take it. I thought that i could simply merge all the layers and simply edit it afterwards. But I've learnt that unless you merge all visible, merging layers with different modes becomes unfeasible and considering that i made lots of random layers with everything all over the place, it became an absolute nightmare.

I managed to fix the hand and (kinda) fixed the face. Additionally i did some of the highlights, but i yeah the leg shading isn't how i wanted it and i've called it quits. the ref of the picture can be found here.

Old 06-18-2017, 08:05 AM   #658
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Apologies for last week. I was painting but i was still working on something and didn't have time to upload.

Anyway, i have been trying (and failing) to complete senshistocks june monthly challenge. I'm not going to get all of them done (and the business trip to poland next week will ensure that i won 't finish) so i doing what i can for practice.

Now i didn't have time to apply all stuff that i usually do (it was awkwards to do anyway and it needed refinement) so i went for one brush and normal layers and they usually take a day to draw. I had hoped to do more in a day, but meh, all good practice. here are the fruits of my labor half finished most of them:

Old 06-22-2017, 02:04 AM   #659
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase

not n easy ref you chose there, i think the blending could be more clean along the shadow edges especially, take care that you dont go over it too many times, get the shape right the first time and try to use less strokes when getting the soft edge, try to go along the whole length in one or two passes. thats for next time tho, time to move on. lovely little sketches, i like that green costume you gave her.
Old 06-25-2017, 03:19 AM   #660
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

More weekend work. i had hoped to do more for draw june challenge, but i've been busy and this month has been hectic at work. In this case i've had to cut corners to get this finished before i fly off to poland this afternoon.

Ref is http://www.deviantart.com/art/Draw-E...oosh-680747373