Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > GALLERY > Sketchbooks
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2017, 04:06 PM   #621
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Hi Astrapho, the background isn't quite set in stone yet. I had thoughts to be sunny day in some sort of suburbs by the river and such. I have a rough idea how it looks, but how it will really look i have yet to try. I'm still rendering the figure and getting it all sorted.

But i need to get a move on with the background as that will definitely impact the drawing completely. i had made the ambient/environmental light blue and was planning more stronger yellow/orange sunlight as the main light. Once the hand is sorted, i'll turn my attention to the background, much as i want to actually continue to do all the details on the person.

besides the lace on the gloves, the other ones were with stock brushes from someone on deviantart. i'll credit them once i figure out which ones i used...

"Life is one great journey. Shame about the destination"
johnway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 02:00 PM   #622
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Well, the foreshortened arm is finished, but i'm not too thrilled with the outcome. The foreshortening elements are kinda lost especially in the hand. Part of the problem is that her palm is wrapped and it all blends into one making it difficult to read. Trying to render light on such a sheer material is proving trick and i'm having a hard time coming up with an idea to rectify this. i might have to knuckle down, add an extra layer somewhere and try and add more light in that area.

For a brief half hour i reworked the choker and i'm not happy about that either. Its not elaborate enough and the finer detail just vanishes. i might try a hybrid necklace/choker or something.

i don't want to leave that arm in its current state. but i'm dreading the background work as well...

Old 03-26-2017, 07:54 AM   #623
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

not much to update on saturday tbh. But we're nearly done with the figure. Today we add the hat and sort out the corset and chest area. tomorrow we'll finish the umbrella and the envelope. hopefully the last over painting to get everything together.

Incidentally, i did have a go and creating a background. It was a disaster and i'm now really stuck now for ideas. part of the problem is that i don't have the skill to execute it.

Speaking of time, i really need to speed up as its taking too long. I would have liked to do more than one piece in a month damn it.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:09 AM   #624
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

the figure is complete. We still need to do the last post effects and the rim lighting but i want to sort that out once the background is done.

A major weakness of mine. perspective and urban environments. I had hoped to learn sketchup but alas my 30 day trial period is over.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:17 AM   #625
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Work continues on image and we're starting on the background.

i've been dreading this part as scenary, objects are one of my weak points and it definitely shows. Perspective is wrong and the background is incredibly basic. i seem to go blank when it comes to this stuff and i was more prepared to quit much faster when i worked on it.

Just need to add the foreground and we can draw this to a close. after maybe the after effects maybe.

Old 03-30-2017, 04:59 AM   #626
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Well, its done. The picture is complete. Took over a month and that's far too long for the quality of the final product. I guess its all good practice and i did learn one or 2 things. Plus we identified weak points that need to be investigated. Like perspective and urban landscaping in general.

Old 04-14-2017, 03:34 AM   #627
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

its easter weekend so i've got some time off. Looking back i think that one of my weakpoints that i can improve on is backgrounds and landscapes. Since the last 2 weeks i've been trying to do some practice for backgrounds and its been hard going and wasn't worth posting. I just didn't have the motivation to try nor the skill to try.

But i have to face facts. if i'm going to get any better, i'll just have to bite the bullet and churn out lots of crap pictures before i get the right techniques. this was a ref using mapcrunch. Took about 2 hours.

My next plan of action:

1. Find a decent technique for leaves and rendering forests.
2.Study other artists and find out how they render stuff. I suspect its slightly cell shaded styles.

Old 04-14-2017, 03:27 PM   #628
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 1st Place:  - Issue reason: When Hell Freezes Over Contest '11 Boss Battle Contest - Winner: 1st place - Issue reason: Beat the scariest boss into a pulp 
Total Awards: 3

Send a message via Skype™ to astrapho

Hey John, I think the design of the char and the idea for the background turned out really good. The shadows on her face are too light though, remember this rule: the lightest value in your shadow should be darker than the darkest value in the light. This ensures that the shadows read as shadows and will give your character more volume and a sense of light. I do think that you could improve on your staging and palette to bring out her character more, have stronger atmosphere, or using the lights to amplify her qualities more strongly, but I think it's really good progress for now, I'm just pointing these out as areas to think about in your future pictures.

The biggest problem in the background is your perspective. It looks very distorted near the bridge. Always have your vanishing points in mind at all times, always keep your grid on.

Spoiler:

For your bg painting practice: it's a good start. The depth reads. I think you need to simplify the shapes further and pay closer attention to preserving the silhouettes of each shape, especially things like the road and the houses. Keeping your outer silhouettes tight is what's going to make your picture read more clearly. Good luck
astrapho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 03:36 AM   #629
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Hi Astrapho. you're bang on concerning perspective. i didn't use a perspective grid. I just hate doing the leg work involved at the start and it really bores me. i'll try and use cheat grids or ways to make it easier to speed it up.

I do have plans to do another picture today. Hopefully more effort with perspectives...

Old 04-15-2017, 05:17 AM   #630
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Well... attempting perspective literally killed my enthusiasm to do any work today. i've worked on it for about an hour and already i've quit.

i need to step back and think about this. Perhaps one building or switch to line art. i guess urban scenes are far too challenging for me atm, especially if its hong kong by the looks of things.

The location was 20 Wang Hoi Rd, Kowloon Bay, Hong Kong. Oh god it hurts to practice this stuff.

Old 04-15-2017, 05:26 AM   #631
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 1st Place:  - Issue reason: When Hell Freezes Over Contest '11 Boss Battle Contest - Winner: 1st place - Issue reason: Beat the scariest boss into a pulp 

It's always super difficult in the beginning. Maybe choose a less complicated background for starters if this is too overwhelming, something where you can make sure everything is as technically correct as you can make it. Keep at it, don't give up!
Old 04-16-2017, 05:42 AM   #632
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

More landscapes. Went for something less ambitious with maybe one or 2 items and nothing difficult like an urban environment that is just filled with stuff.

We whip out mapcrunch and we've stopped at Korpilahdentie 888, 19920 Joutsa, Finland.

Too nearly 3 hours. I tried to use the hated perspective grids to render the barn and tried to use rule of thirds where possible. I had hoped the smaller outpost would be aligned, instead its the green tree. lastly as a finishing touch the orange and blue overlay completely changed it to an dusk scene and i loved it so it stayed.

Old 04-16-2017, 10:26 AM   #633
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 
Total Awards: 1

Very nice!
I would make the power lines a bit thinner so they don't distract as much from the overall piece. Love what you did with the overlay
Grieverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 04:40 AM   #634
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

more practice on landscapes. I didn't finish this one as painting landscapes is making me increasing irritable atm. it was some unknown road in norway.

I might have to take a break from landscapes or look at more tuts and find some techniques that click. Unlike with people, i can't figure out what i'm drawing or render what i want and that is testing my patience.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:56 PM   #635
Dwee dee(3d)
x, y, z

Just think to up the contrast/definition on closer things and muddy/fuzzy it on far away things. Sometimes it's not just perspective but volume or the size of your scene. This never comes up if you're just doing line drawings.

far away things take less pixels so they look fuzzy.
closer things take more pixels so they look less fuzzy.

Anyone who plays with 3d software notices these things (most times its just messing with material settings to fix it, but if you drew it, well you've got to re-draw )

Last edited by Dwee dee(3d) : 04-18-2017 at 01:08 PM.
Dwee dee(3d) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:03 PM   #636
djizomdjinn
night painter

Try breaking it down in value planes of 3 or 4 values. Don't do any blending between them, just block those values in as flats. If you can't read it in value, color won't help very much.

(also overcast light sucks when learning environments, try starting with sunny ones)

djizomdjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:10 AM   #637
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

hey guys. i guess we'll go even further back to basics. resorting to greyscale and such. we'll see what happens this weekend. Don't expect anything spectacular.

Old 04-19-2017, 01:58 PM   #638
djizomdjinn
night painter

You don't have to do full-on grayscale studies per se; just focus on getting clear readable values in a thumbnail.

Draw a bunch of thumbs, grab the cool looking ones, and then try and expand those into full on paintings. I'd say stay away from texture brushes for now and use a harder, more opaque brush at first. Then after you've established your hard values and edges, you can figure out which edges to blend away.
djizomdjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:17 AM   #639
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

More weekend work. i spent a bit of time looking at various artists and finding ways to replicate their techniques in a digital plein air drawing. this one was Lotsgatan 12, 20900 Åbo, Finland.

i didn't copy it like for like as i was more content to do as much as i can and just work at it.

its getting better, but still a long way to go.

Old 04-23-2017, 06:02 AM   #640
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase

Hey, keep it up, you're making good progress. I think you need to be more exact and precise with the values, edges, colors, and try to get it much closer to the source picture. For example the parts in shadow look too saturated, and the forms in general are very ambiguous about which direction the light is coming from (this has to do with your observation of their values). Focus on observing more faithfully. I would actually even suggest the color picker to check, but only for this stage of your learning. When I was starting out, in my early studies I color picked with impunity and I learnt a lot about how distorted our perception is, I think you're going to be very surprised at what you find. You're doing well though. Good luck

Last edited by astrapho : 04-23-2017 at 06:12 AM.