Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > COMMUNITY > Member Created Tutorials
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2008, 04:02 PM   #1
afroXcore
Not here, not now.

Send a message via AIM to afroXcore Send a message via Skype™ to afroXcore
Default The Elements and Principles of Design. [Now With Pics!]

This is perhaps, the most important tutorial you may read. Some of you may know something about what i'm about to list here.

While i learned this for design, this applies to all forms of art as well. It's kinda basic, I'll go more in depth when i can.

Let us begin.

The Elements of Design
This is what you make art with.

Line
A mark made from a pen or brush, or edge created when two shapes meet. They hold a lot of power and can convey movement. The shape of the line can also set a mood, like curvy being sensual, and jagged or crooked to create tension.

Spoiler:

Shape
A self contained, defined area. They can either be geometric or organic. Using shape creates positive space, which automatically makes negative space as well.

Spoiler:

Space
Positive Space is your shape, and all other forms on your page. Negative Space will be all the space outside of the positive space.

Spoiler:

Texture
Defined as the surface quality of a shape. Can be tactile or visual. Patterns can add interest and depth to the negative space.

Spoiler:

Scale
Difference in size amongst elements on a page. This can add impact and depth to a piece. Small object appear stable, and pushed into the background. Large objects appear dynamic.

Spoiler:

Color
Hue: Name of the color
Saturation: How much color, or the intensity of hue
Brightness: subtracting of black.
This is where you'd learn about the color wheel. I'll provide a link to the wikipedia entry until i can upload the pdf i have on this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_wheel

Spoiler:

The Principles of Design
After learning the basic of art, it's important to know how to use them.
The first 4 are very important.

Contrast

Creating a stark difference among the elements of art. Creates emphasis. Easiest to see with simple one or two color logo. This can be achieved by varied line width, color, texture, etc.

Spoiler:

Repetition
Recurrence of elements, creates rhythm and movement.
Spoiler:

Alignment

Where the elements are relative to the page. This can create visual movement as well, meaning eyeballs spend more time on your piece (always a good thing).
Spoiler:

Proximity
Where elements are relative to each other. Easily creates visual interest by moving shapes or colors closer or further apart.

Spoiler:

Unity

The visual linking of the elements in a work. This can be obtained by staying consistent with line, choosing monochromatic or complimentary colors, etc.

Spoiler:

Balance
Distribution of visual weight. It's simple to find out if your work has balance, just take your piece and turn it on it's side or upside down. The piece should feel even, and your eye won't be focusing heavily on one side. A large uninteresting shape can be balanced out by a smaller interesting shape. Same with color.
Spoiler:

Emphasis

Where the point focus of the piece lies. You can also create interruption on that central focal point with use of smaller interesting objects.

Spoiler:

Rhythm
Consistency with shape and color to allow eye movement through the piece. Makes a piece seem very active. Think like spiraling red triangles leading your eye into the page.
A very powerful element.

Spoiler:

So there you have it. The elements should be easy enough to remember. There's a little mnemonic device my teachers use to make us remember the principles better, and that is UBERCRAP.

So remember, you're all making art full of
ÜBERCRAP
!

I hope the pics are helpful.

Last edited by afroXcore : 10-03-2009 at 09:11 AM.
afroXcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:17 PM   #2
gold_tangerine
Direct Order to Rock Out

This is most of what I learned in my first semester at the $48,000 place. Thanks for posting. I think this would have more comments if there were visual aids explaining the concepts, which are invaluable as a foundation for professional illustration as well as any sort of put-togetherness in design. Without these, your stuff just looks random. Sometimes you can accidentally make it work, but really you need to keep these in mind if you want to consistently make a pleasing image in 2D-3D visual art.
gold_tangerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:50 AM   #3
srilyk

Send a message via ICQ to srilyk Send a message via AIM to srilyk Send a message via MSN to srilyk Send a message via Yahoo to srilyk

this is excellent, and I, too, call for examples (maybe in spoilers so we imagine before we see)

Sketch Exchanges:
Now with more <InnerShadow>
Over 9000! - with <ssjmvegita>

You want eyes? Get them here!
srilyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:04 AM   #4
afroXcore
Not here, not now.

You're right, i do need examples to drive the point home. I'll get to work on that soon.

edit: I hope i got it now.

Last edited by afroXcore : 10-03-2009 at 09:12 AM.
afroXcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:22 AM   #5
srilyk

Send a message via ICQ to srilyk Send a message via AIM to srilyk Send a message via MSN to srilyk Send a message via Yahoo to srilyk

Excellent update! And several of those gave me a chuckle/smile

Sketch Exchanges:
Now with more <InnerShadow>
Over 9000! - with <ssjmvegita>

You want eyes? Get them here!
srilyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:31 AM   #7
McGarnacle
coins in a wishing well.

you just saved me $48,000
Old 10-13-2009, 03:32 PM   #8
afroXcore
Not here, not now.

wow, already i want to redo those images.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:48 AM   #9
borrows123
Karbonite

This is awesome stuff..
Thank you for telling us about that...