Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > GALLERY > Sketchbooks
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2017, 10:24 PM   #681
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 
Total Awards: 1

Yes to the darker background.
Love the character. The smile is very mischievous.
Grieverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:43 AM   #682
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Apologies for the last few weeks. I was doing some art studies mostly on paper and didn't submit last weeks progress until this week as it was a bit basic and a bit naked. its still at the NSFW atm. hence spoiler tags.

Anyway, new piece and originally, it was going to be anatomy study. specifically the female waist and hip area. I spent time looking through videos and comparing artists and how they approach the topic. Sadly no luck on that end. itching to get any work done i went for a generic pose.

I had an idea in mind but it went out of the window pretty quickly. i spent last week on and off reshaping the entire body and arms to get them at an acceptable level. I wanted her to be holding a clipboard but the pose would have looked awkward, i tried books but that wasn't working either. Every ref showed them holding the books too tightly. Played around with the idea and thought maybe holding a tray? composition would have allowed it.

than came clothes and damn it i'm stuck on that as well. i had 2 ideas for the shirts but i can't choose what she would wear undearneath and skirts weren't working. But here's 2 ideas so far:

The first is probably the one i'll use.

Spoiler:

The alternate option
Spoiler:

i still haven't quite settled on hair styles yet, i have 5/6 layers of different ones...

"Life is one great journey. Shame about the destination"
johnway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 03:41 PM   #683
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

just an update during the weekday. I've spent the odd hour testing and trying things to see what would work. I've referenced hot pants, skirts, mini skirts, pants and still struggling to come up with a decent idea. Not to mention hair styles that work with a round face structure.

Well, i'll made some progress. its still very rough. I'm tempted to take things further, address more pull folds, maybe adjust the skirt to be slightly higher/shorter, redo a bit of the shirt and certain address the hair.

i'm all for suggestions and crits at this stage as i think i'm going to need to reink the whole thing anyway.

Old 10-28-2017, 10:31 AM   #684
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

More weekend work didn't do much today just did some final lines for my picture. My concern atm is that we've lost some of the detail especially in the eyes, hair and skirt. i'm thinking that i might consider ditching the lines and working on the roughs to maintain the energy of it.

i dunno, i'll let you guys decide. I might go straight into coloring and see where that takes us.

Old 11-04-2017, 11:55 AM   #685
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Weekend work and we've moving into colors. i decided to scrap the line work for the eyes and mouth and copy the roughs and use that as my lines.

Anyway, we added the flats and added a background. I had hoped for more disco lights/lasers for added composition, but i couldn't implement it properly and shelved it. For now.

i've begun adding the effects layers. Atm i've added the darkest shadows layer and the ambient (purple) lighting. Those are quick and easy to do in one layer and color. but adding the shading and lighting i might dial it back and do it in sections. i can't use a single color to complete all the shading or the lighting. But on the other hand, will the layer modes help to speed things up?

Meh, i'll think about it. Either i find the solution or expect to generate a load of layers for each section. Crits and opinions welcome of course.

Old 11-05-2017, 10:35 AM   #686
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

more work this weekend. i think we've reached a roadblock, with multiple light sources in a darkish environment, its proving trickery and i'm not entirely sure how to go about this.

i spent nearly 2 hours doing just the shirt alone and i'm note entirely satisfied with it. All the usual rules of engagement (mid tones, darker tones, lighter tones, shadows etc) went straight out the window within the first half an hour and working on instinct. Might play around with the color constructor to see what colors we get and what happens.

Edit: i moved the eyes down a bit as it seemed like they were too high after adding the hair.

Last edited by johnway : 11-05-2017 at 10:49 AM.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:44 AM   #687
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Its my A/l so i'll be providing more updates in the following days.

Anyway, we've moved onto the skin coloring. Its far from complete, i've just put in the base tones and ideas. We haven't done the shading yet and certainly not the color.

i've been more mindful to reduce the number of layers i use now as its making my files nearly 1gb in size until i flatten the image. that doesn't happen until the end.

Tomorrow, more skin work (we work on the dreaded hands...) and hopefully the skirt and glasses if i have a chance.

Crits welcome of course.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:33 PM   #688
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 
Total Awards: 1

******* hands, man. What do they even do? A bit of advice to help reduce your number of layers is to flatten them as you no longer need them. So, if you have 2 layer with lineart, for example, once you're happy with it, flatten them. You can always add more layers later.
Grieverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 03:11 AM   #689
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Hi grieverjoe. Normally, i do flatten the layers and that is my main go to solution. But here's the problem, i'm using different layer modes and when i merge them together they all revert back to normal and breaks them and ultimately changing the painting altogether.

its extremely annoying, i can't pinpoint why/where it does this as i merge the layers up sometimes its ok. I think merge visible maintains layer modes and everything is kept in place. the other option is Shift+Ctrl+Alt+E and create a new layer that way maybe. Ultimately, i'm just working on one layer now and making different layers when i'm unsure of certain changes.

Anyway, apologies for yesterday, i was working on skin still. the hands are more or less done, but the skin could do with a bit more work before i finish it, so i'll move on to the rest of the clothing and hair before i work on the skin again.

once thats done we'll add the magical layers and such. I might adjust the background to give it more depth. Somehow.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:39 AM   #690
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Todays efforts. We've added the base stuff for the skirt/bra and worked on the eyes a bit. I had hopes to do slightly more, but i was called out to help my uncle cut some tree branches. So we're here.

Tomorrow, we tackle the hair and it looks like a lot of work involved here... Might have to remove some of the lines and do some basic rendering.

Once done, i'll address the lights and paint them away. although part of me wonders whether to get rid of all of them as it does look good with them.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:00 AM   #691
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

More work from the last 2 days. Some significant progress. We've done the hair, and the tray. We've made some adjustments to the skin and improved on areas.

i'm currently thinking about the skirt, but a part of me wants to just say thats ok and walk away from doing it and work on the spit and shine post effects. namely removing lines and blending stuff together.

Edit: I'm having doubts about those glasses. The bright colors detract from the main focal point of the female. My eyes are drawn to the drinks first and that is probably the wrong thing. I might need to go for something else. perhaps some dark/mute toned drinks or switch to a champayne and a few empty glasses instead?

Last edited by johnway : 11-15-2017 at 07:15 AM.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:17 AM   #692
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

more work and i'm calling it quits. heres the final image. I had hoped to push the color values higher but i lost my nerve and went against it.

now to enjoy the rest of my A/L.