Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > ACTIVITIES > Exercise Yard
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2014, 01:14 AM   #1
king of bandits

Default KOB v. Joe

I fell asleep for like 5 hours woke up and did this, well more like I did part of this went to sleep then tried to tie it all together

Old 11-23-2014, 09:44 PM   #2
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 
Total Awards: 1

he ded
Grieverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:16 PM   #3
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 

Like most young artists, I started drawing with a heavy focus on anime. As time went on, I ditched the anime look and started dabbing heavily into realism.
Since Iíve been on a Monster Hunter kick lately, I decided to revisit my anime roots with a drawing of my wifeís character, Laele (Gobul X/switch axe user, what what!).
Having been away from anime for a while, this took me longer than it should have. :|
Done in Painter.

Your assignment is to draw something anime.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:47 AM   #4
Lamb
christmas squid

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Hunters Contest '12 Boss Battle Contest - 2nd place:  - Issue reason: Had that cute crit glyph 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: LEGO Illustration Contest '11 
Total Awards: 4

Send a message via ICQ to Lamb

ah, the fabled chain brush.

You are relying too little on what you learned from realism when drawing anime characters. Those are not two separate things. The real problem with starting artists is not that they are drawing anime, but that they are drawing wrong. The suggestion that they better draw realism is due to the fact that it is less abstract and thus progress and advice are more straightforward. There is no reason why you shouldn't use that knowledge in the anime style as well. Anime, when done well, is not lazy.

It is pretty much like translating from one language into another (or accent). You may watch the contrast and color choice. Her facial features should make the same sense as a realistic portrait. The image just feels that you are using tokens (admittedly it is ok to sometimes use said tokens, but that is a wholly different matter - they are also used to communicate a message, rather than just filling up space).

http://chronoray.tumblr.com/
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:42 AM   #5
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamb
ah, the fabled chain brush.

You are relying too little on what you learned from realism when drawing anime characters. Those are not two separate things. The real problem with starting artists is not that they are drawing anime, but that they are drawing wrong. The suggestion that they better draw realism is due to the fact that it is less abstract and thus progress and advice are more straightforward. There is no reason why you shouldn't use that knowledge in the anime style as well. Anime, when done well, is not lazy.

It is pretty much like translating from one language into another (or accent). You may watch the contrast and color choice. Her facial features should make the same sense as a realistic portrait. The image just feels that you are using tokens (admittedly it is ok to sometimes use said tokens, but that is a wholly different matter - they are also used to communicate a message, rather than just filling up space).
You're right, Lamb. I let myself get lazy on this one. My excuse was, "it's just anime."
I found that chain brush in a PS set, so I imported it to Painter (read: lazy, above.) I'm working on something else that won't allow me to be lazy, so stay tuned.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:25 PM   #6
king of bandits

ayyyeeee I'm hella late and just saw this today. The new season of anime started too. I'm on it!
Old 01-14-2015, 09:29 PM   #7
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase

No worries, brother. Whenever you can.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:50 AM   #8
king of bandits

Did I anime right? hahaha. I wanted to try to get over my thing about fanart, but then I started doodling and this came out.