Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > GALLERY > Sketchbooks
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2015, 01:08 PM   #101
djizomdjinn
night painter

Sketch sketch sketch. Dug through my archives, dredged up some ideas that I had back then that were good but I didn't have the skill to really do anything about.

Last edited by djizomdjinn : 07-08-2015 at 10:58 AM.
djizomdjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 03:36 PM   #102
djizomdjinn
night painter

Mecha. Because despite how I tell myself I'm good at drawing mechanical things, I don't really do much of it.
Old 07-18-2015, 03:09 PM   #103
RobotCat
Best combination ever

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 1 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 2 
Total Awards: 2

The army girl's cloth looks a bit 'stiff' when rendered. Cloth should flow a bit more and not be as 'angular'. I'm not sure if that came across clearly.

Cool mech. Are you going to polish it some more? The flat areas are erally cleanly rendered but the curved surface feel a bit rough, making some parts pop out more than that should and others not as much. Also it kind of looks like it has a really big dong.
RobotCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 08:08 PM   #104
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase
Boss Battle Contest - Winner: 1st place - Issue reason: Beat the scariest boss into a pulp 1st Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 1st Place:  - Issue reason: When Hell Freezes Over Contest '11 
Total Awards: 3

Send a message via Skype™ to astrapho

Arrgh I didn't see the dong until I read that Dx dammit cat...

I agree with cat about the roughness in the curved shapes... You can try clipping masks or rendering within lasso'd out shapes to get those smooth gradients with the clean edges. Planes are nicely organized though. Also for gunslinger girl, watch out for the wrists, yours look like they start too far up the forearm.
astrapho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 03:24 PM   #105
djizomdjinn
night painter

Thanks for the crits, guys! I've been working mainly on sculpting... I find it helps with learning 3D forms.

A month without painting? I'm slipping... oh wait, Lamb SE. Still...

Old 09-08-2015, 08:46 PM   #106
djizomdjinn
night painter

A created likeness study, and a bit of a materials study on the fabrics (I think my leather's horrendous ). I find it a bit sad that the noise helps make the twill look more like twill than the herringbone pattern I made.

Still, I think I like how the silk jacket liner and tie came out.

Look like twill and silk to you guys?
Old 09-08-2015, 11:29 PM   #107
Nmn
yo sup?

Nnnnice! She kinda reminds me of Magdalena Walach a polish actress.
This uniform looks like something from WW2,or a latter period? Something around the fifties maybe?

Oh... looks more like suede than twill to me.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:38 AM   #108
Lamb
christmas squid

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Hunters Contest '12 Boss Battle Contest - 2nd place:  - Issue reason: Had that cute crit glyph 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: LEGO Illustration Contest '11 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 
Total Awards: 4

Send a message via ICQ to Lamb

Definitely more like twill. Your recent paintings have a Valkyria Chronicles vibe to me. Even in the values you choose. Ever played it? It is very good.

The tie looks great.

http://chronoray.tumblr.com/
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:20 AM   #109
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

yep the texture is quite good. was the twill created using a brush? Might have to try it myself.

"Life is one great journey. Shame about the destination"
johnway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 12:13 AM   #110
djizomdjinn
night painter

Nmn, Lamb: Yep! Uniform's for an alternate-WW2 sort of story I've been meaning to write (actually, revisit... it didn't go very far last NaNoWriMo). Valkyria Chronicles inspired, somewhat. I played the second one first, and then got the first one when it came out on PC. Close to endgame... need to think on how to beat Jaeger.

johnway: Light texture overlays, actually. Each one is bent to roughly follow the lines of the clothes, and then trimmed.

The first pattern sets the fabric weave, in this case a herringbone twill pattern. The second noise pattern helps break up the evenness of the fabric for anything rougher-spun, like wool or the outer layer of a jacket. Of course, this noise pattern doesn't need to be bent, just trimmed. The third is a noise pattern stretched vertically, for herringbone twill, there's this odd macro-scale optical illusion of lines running down following the pattern, and so this helps create it. A slightly spotchy base coat with areas of slightly off-color or faded sections also helps the fabric look rougher.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:13 PM   #111
djizomdjinn
night painter

"Like, what if we took a heavy motorcycle engine, mounted it on a single tread, and then put skis on outriggers on the back?"

"You mean like a snowmobile in reverse?"

"No, but you steer with the skis! It's like cross-country skiing, but with a engine dragging you along at 70mph!"

"...that sounds like a horrible idea."

Should do more mechanical stuff. Still working on how I want the main body armor to look like. Also where to put the fuel tank, though actually, if i draw it from the side, I think the gearbox ought to be long enough I can perch it on top there...
Old 09-25-2015, 02:18 AM   #112
Lamb
christmas squid

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Hunters Contest '12 Boss Battle Contest - 2nd place:  - Issue reason: Had that cute crit glyph 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: LEGO Illustration Contest '11 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 
Total Awards: 4

Send a message via ICQ to Lamb

horrible idea. Cool design!

http://chronoray.tumblr.com/
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:17 AM   #113
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 
Total Awards: 1

The idea of the texture on the uniform is awesome. Great design you've got going on.
I second Lamb on the "horrible idea, cool design."
Grieverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:48 AM   #114
djizomdjinn
night painter

Not quite the silhouette in my sketch, but that's because I modeled it in 3d and promptly ran into a bunch of "that's not right" clashes.

Also a couple design issues that needed to be solved. Like how to balance the length of the skis so they don't run into the tread. Or the most glaring omission, the complete lack of a fuel tank. End result being that it's somewhat larger looking and less compact than the sketch.

Anyways, my eyes hurt. I'll work on it later.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:56 AM   #115
djizomdjinn
night painter

Inktober! Except I don't know how to ink all that well.

Also, while it's about game design, I think that this is easily applicable to all creative media, and is a pretty good read. Though most people here will know these principles by heart already.

http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14...ing-criticism/
Old 10-02-2015, 08:00 PM   #116
djizomdjinn
night painter

Loosening up.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:09 AM   #117
djizomdjinn
night painter

Days 3 and 4.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:11 AM   #118
RobotCat
Best combination ever

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 1 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 2 

What's Inktober? I think you're inking style looks pretty good. Maybe consider adding in some thicker pens (sharpie) for some of the weightier lines?
Old 10-07-2015, 06:41 PM   #119
djizomdjinn
night painter

Inktober is basically a draw every day challenge. No real rules, other than draw something in ink every day of October, post it online somewhere, and tag it Inktober.

I've been using a set of Sakura Microns I got a while back.. I don't really know how to ink. At all.

Meeeh.

Better. Breaking out the Copics, haven't used those in years either.

Wat.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:55 PM   #120
RobotCat
Best combination ever

Awards Showcase

Try a ballpoint pen. I think that'll fit the way you're sketching these pics better. Sakura Microns are not my favorite pens. I find they bleed a bit too much for my liking. See if you can get some Copic Multi liners.