Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > GALLERY > Sketchbooks
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2007, 09:15 AM   #21
mercenary
Psych Ward

Here's another set of sketches, except this time their in color. Just would like to hear what you have to say and what improvements I should make.
Pleasure.

Last edited by mercenary : 10-16-2007 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Update and reword.
mercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 03:38 PM   #22
mercenary
Psych Ward

Sorry for not posting in awhile. Here's a recent sketch. This one is traditional. However, shadow was left out on purpose. Experimenting with trying to shape drawings with just flat colors. Cristism and suggestions are welcome.
Here she is:
Pleasure

Old 12-14-2007, 06:45 AM   #23
mercenary
Psych Ward

I was thrashing out with a pencil to MyChemicalRomance, last night. This is what I came up with. I used some catalogs for references to draw some of the less than perfect faces. One of them is from Texhnolyze, can you tell which one?

Old 12-14-2007, 03:47 PM   #24
Shadow's Edge
Karbonite

All of your practice is really paying off; your faces are starting to look a lot better. The weird thing about drawing faces is that placement is so important and even the slightest shift -- say if a chin is just a touch too short or an eye too inset -- can change a person from looking normal to looking like they're deformed. The bottom right head on the most recent scan has a great stylistic look to it, but there's still an overall sense that something's off. Like someone else mentioned, the jaws and chins are weak. It's not a hard and fast rule, but generally the distance from the bottom of the nose to the bottom of the chin is equal to or greater than the distance from the bottom of the nose to the top of the eyes (variations in this ratio are a big part of what makes people from different races look different, so it's an important one).
I have the same tendency in my own faces, and I have to keep the math in mind to overcome it. Keep at it!
Shadow's Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 07:21 PM   #25
mercenary
Psych Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow's Edge
All of your practice is really paying off; your faces are starting to look a lot better. The weird thing about drawing faces is that placement is so important and even the slightest shift -- say if a chin is just a touch too short or an eye too inset -- can change a person from looking normal to looking like they're deformed. The bottom right head on the most recent scan has a great stylistic look to it, but there's still an overall sense that something's off. Like someone else mentioned, the jaws and chins are weak. It's not a hard and fast rule, but generally the distance from the bottom of the nose to the bottom of the chin is equal to or greater than the distance from the bottom of the nose to the top of the eyes (variations in this ratio are a big part of what makes people from different races look different, so it's an important one).
I have the same tendency in my own faces, and I have to keep the math in mind to overcome it. Keep at it!
Shadow Edge: Thank you for teaching me that rule, I didn't know that nor paid attention to those sort of facial features.

Another set of sketchs. Catalog references and 'Gray's Anatomy'.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:53 PM   #26
Hitokiri
is the man

Looking great, and keeps reminding me that I should be studying anatomy more. Only thing I see (besides the afore mentioned faces) are that the legs on most of your people are a bit short. Usually the legs are a bit longer than the torso and head length (about 1/2-1 head). Keep pumping out the art
Old 12-17-2007, 02:30 PM   #27
mercenary
Psych Ward

Hitokiri: Thank you. I'll pay a bit more attention next time.

I was hit with a burst of energy today, so I poored it into my penicl and made another window out some paper. These sketches are rare coming from me. I'm usually stuck scribbling blinded folded anatomy and reminder sketches. Crits and comments are welcomed.

Thank you.

Old 12-18-2007, 06:23 PM   #28
chain2treechick
a hunter of peace...

great skeletal studies.

are these from life or imagination or combination?

Does the human heart know chasms so abysmal? ~Watchman

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light of meaning in the darkness of mere being. ~C.G. Jung
chain2treechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 07:52 PM   #29
mandelak
Karbonite

Send a message via MSN to mandelak

nice sketches you got going on here, what do you use as your reference guide
mandelak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 01:37 PM   #30
mercenary
Psych Ward

chain2treechick: The skeletal sketches are pure reference. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandelak
nice sketches you got going on here, what do you use as your reference guide
I use clothing catalogs, clothing websites, "Gray's Anatomy", 'How to Draw Manga", and some broken imagination. There are a few others but that's it mostly. Thanks.

Here's some more anatomy sketches from "Gray's Anatomy". Maybe I should start labeling them;.......suggestions? Two are skeletal and the other two are from the articulation section.

Thanks.

Last edited by mercenary : 12-19-2007 at 07:48 PM.
mercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 11:19 AM   #31
mercenary
Psych Ward

Here are some more sketches. I only used a clothing catalog as a reference this time. Sorry for the crappiness.

Thanks.

Old 12-25-2007, 08:39 AM   #32
sketcher
Karbonite

man you've got the poses alright, no doubt about it... do improve more on the head and neck area where they connect... i know its tough to make faces and expression but one thing i would do is hide the face... tilt it or blur it... lets go...
Old 12-25-2007, 11:58 AM   #33
AmourFonce
Karbonite

You have some really nice studies, but I don't see alot of what you studied in your actual drawings. It's really hard to study something and to then apply it to your art, but i think on the easiest ways to do that is to do your studies and then draw from them. That way, you're not only refreshing what you learned in the study in your mind, but you're also applying it in a way that you will use when you're not drawing from reference.
AmourFonce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 04:45 PM   #34
mercenary
Psych Ward

sketcher: I'm trying to fix that defect the best way I can.

AmourFonce: Understood. I'll interject that tip more thoroughly into my practice sessions.

Thanks for the crits. Here are some sketches. The lady in color I posted her before, maybe you remember her? The others, anatomy sketches minus the reference assistance.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:44 PM   #35
mercenary
Psych Ward

Here's another sketch. I added some color and called it finished. Markers this time. For some reason she has become a favorite, but she hasn't told me her name yet.

Old 12-31-2007, 03:02 PM   #36
mercenary
Psych Ward

Here's another sketch, with some colored concept art. Crits and comments, please.
Thanks.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:06 PM   #37
mercenary
Psych Ward

Here are some sketches. The first page consist of a single glance study (green, bottom), ink reference, and referenced concept art. The second, some sketches and non-reference anatomy. The third, a character I posted for a fight club.

Thanks.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:23 AM   #38
mercenary
Psych Ward

The usual here, more sketches. Just thought I post these now, before they become outdated by more recent drawings. Uzi woman returns, minus the uzi, tried drawing a crow, and what could have of been uzi woman having an emotional conflict.
Maybe I should try some illustrative drawings............
I really would like to post a comic, but most of my stories were weak or just too far out there to make any sense. But I have a new one now, I decided to call it or title it 'Robot Coffin'(hopefully it's not already taken).
The story is about a young male who buys a robot, to fight against the injustice in society. It probably sounds silly, but that's all my brain can work with.
Stereotypical I guess you can say, the robot is a woman. Uzi woman is supposed to be the concept design for her. However she supposed to be human based, but then that makes her a cyborg, right? I might decide to switch it around though. Really would like some of your suggestions.

Thanks.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:42 PM   #39
pofo
hopeless situation elder

Awards Showcase
2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Victorian Sci-Fi Contest '08 
Total Awards: 1

You're showing some good improvement. Your faces are getting better, but I think there are still a couple of problems with many of them. For one, they often look a bit flat. Try setting the eyes a little deeper, let the nose poke out a bit more and give more shape to cheeks chin and lips. The other thing is that the eyes are often set quite high on the head, making the forehead low and the nose long.
pofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 04:59 PM   #40
Shadow's Edge
Karbonite

A cyborg is a human with either a partial or fully robotic body (like in Ghost in the Shell). An android or a robot or a droid is a completely artificial lifeform.

No new crits, I'm afraid. Your necks still look too thick and your faces' proportions still seem off. Pofo spelled it out so I won't repeat what he just posted. Keep it up!
Shadow's Edge is offline   Reply With Quote