Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > GALLERY > Sketchbooks
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2017, 12:32 PM   #221
djizomdjinn
night painter

And now... something more depressing. Also possibly disturbing.

(graphic violence / blood)
Spoiler:

...I never said this was a happy story.

Work in progress still (honestly I went into detail and FX way too fast, but I knew that and they're all on separate layers above the walls / floor. Google Sketchup is wonderful.
djizomdjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:21 AM   #222
djizomdjinn
night painter

My hand at modern comic / graphic novel style. It's... not bad for something quick I suppose. But I hate being this reliant on dodge / burn / airbrush.

Futuretank. Amusing how many lighting and color revisions it went through, the only thing I really had at the comp stage was the tank and that was it.

Last edited by djizomdjinn : 06-03-2017 at 07:36 AM.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:06 AM   #223
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 
Total Awards: 1

I like your comic attempt. It's very pleasing.
As far as the burn/dodge reliance, have you tried... not using it? You seem like you have a good understanding of color and light, so why not experiment with straight up color? Or maybe do grayscale and color on top.
I know habits are hard to break, because I still catch myself relying a lot on line, even when doing painterly pieces. Give it a shot, though!

I love seeing progression pieces. Your tank is no exception. Though I would personally make the explosion a lot brighter, because I feel it gets lost in the colors as it is.
Grieverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:38 AM   #224
djizomdjinn
night painter

Sorry, I wasn't clear, I used dodge/burn/airbrush for the comic style only. I don't normally use it in any of my paintings except for slight adjustments, this was just a style exploration sort of thing.

I can see why comic colorists like using those tools, because it's fast and it generally looks alright, but I don't think it's very good for taking pieces further in that sort of graphic novel / comic style. For something on the level of say, Carbon Grey, I think I'd just rather paint it the way I usually do.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:42 PM   #225
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 
Total Awards: 1

I see what you mean.
I stole a really neat technique of Matt Rhodes, since his style is very cartoony. He lays down the base colors, then he copies those layers and makes level adjustments (darker for shadow, lighter for light, obvs).
After the levels, he makes some color adjustments to change the colors. This way, you get consistent values across the board.
Here's what I'm talking about!
Grieverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 02:13 AM   #226
djizomdjinn
night painter

Firearms guide (see sig) has been eating my time alive. But I've managed to squeeze out a few sketches here and there.

Yvette in a nice dress, because when my mind goes blank on what to draw, it defaults to one of my characters in a nice dress.

A D&D-inspired thought I had about law enforcement golems made up half of plate armor, half of marble busts of blind Justice.

Space WW1, inspired by a colorized photo I saw of some Senegalese soldiers.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:07 AM   #227
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 1st Place:  - Issue reason: When Hell Freezes Over Contest '11 Boss Battle Contest - Winner: 1st place - Issue reason: Beat the scariest boss into a pulp 
Total Awards: 3

Send a message via Skype™ to astrapho

love that DnD character design for the space ww1 pic, considering the perspective of the planes i think we need a more extreme upshot of the guy for it to gel.

you should introduce us to your ocs one day x) it looks like youve got a cool story for them
astrapho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 04:02 AM   #228
djizomdjinn
night painter

Man, the Artstation challenge is kicking my butt. https://www.artstation.com/contests/...missions/19031

ast: They're actually split over two IPs, which I may or may not decide to link. Currently playing around with the idea of one being the past of the other.

St. Sophia's Finest: A group of high school girl cadets fights for survival in WW2. Actually wrote some of it down in a crappy NaNoWriMo a few years back. You can look for it in the writing section if you want. (It's amazingly terrible, I wouldn't advise it.) Would be an RTS game if I had my way.
Yvette: Freshman when this all happens, gets put through hell. She's hunted from a very young age, and thus is an excellent marksman. Also is haunted by a helpful ghost, who cranks her marksmanship from "amazing" to "that shot shouldn't even be possible."

Sophie: Senior, shoo-in for valedictorian, if the school year hadn't been interrupted. Ends up in de-facto command of the girls. In a quiet relationship with Charlotte.

Charlotte: Easy-going, laid-back. Also nobility, though not very high. Commands the sole armored vehicle they have, a prototype command variant of an assault gun that was rejected and palmed off to the girls' military academy.

Jeanne: Sophie's best friend. Still working on her face, which is why no pic. Relaxed. Also badass. Wields a belt-fed machine gun that she fires from the hip, and leads the assault company consisting mostly of seniors.

Astrid: Tall, dark, serious. Leads the defense company, consisting mostly of juniors.

Aurora: In the future, the world as we know it has ended, not only by nuclear war, but also by rogue military robots. A crew of a mobile repair vessel try to put the world back together.
Deuce: An old, grizzled veteran way too old for this crap. Navy SEAL benched for gross insubordination, only got called up out of reserves because they ran out of warm bodies to feed into the grinder.

Seryl: A girl who was living in a village until it got lit up by a drone gunship. Now lives on the ship, and starts the whole "put the world back together" thing in motion in the first place. Serves as ship's trade liason. Also is haunted by her great-grandmother... Yvette. Also the first character I've ever made, though basically nothing has stayed the same since then other than maybe that she's an Asian girl with short messy hair.

Paige: A woman in late-middle age. Sniper, another Navy SEAL. The second character I've ever made. Also my personal middle finger to sexy female sniper characters. Especially Starcraft's Nova.

Junks: A Special Forces demolitions and explosives expert, which is helpful when the things you're fighting are all built out of metal. But also a tinkerer and a mechanic.

Junko: Young drone warfare operator, which is an incredibly unpopular profession in a post-drone apocalypse world. Also the youngest and only non-SF member of the ship's away team, meaning she's the team rookie.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:22 AM   #229
djizomdjinn
night painter

Been playing around with 360 pano painting with PanoPainter.

It's really, really trippy. And fun. I miss fun in art, haven't had it in a little while.