Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > GALLERY > Sketchbooks
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2016, 01:39 AM   #201
RobotCat
Best combination ever

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 1 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 2 
Total Awards: 2

Wow Lamb, those are excellent. Are you working with a studio now? They look pretty professional.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:00 AM   #202
Lamb
christmas squid

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Hunters Contest '12 Boss Battle Contest - 2nd place:  - Issue reason: Had that cute crit glyph 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: LEGO Illustration Contest '11 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 
Total Awards: 4

Send a message via ICQ to Lamb

Thank you Joe. Still a lot of things to learn. The perspective drill was fun, but also very taxing on concentration. I mus do more of these.

Robotcat: Wow, thanks dude! I can't believe someone thinks that my stuff look professional I work freelance for a small studio. We are working on a side scroller rpg. It's fine for now I guess

http://chronoray.tumblr.com/
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:12 AM   #203
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: When Hell Freezes Over Contest '11 Boss Battle Contest - Winner: 1st place - Issue reason: Beat the scariest boss into a pulp 1st Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 
Total Awards: 3

Send a message via Skype™ to astrapho

Loving the progress lamb, your style is really getting stronger. Perspective pieces look really good too. Looking forward to more
astrapho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 03:25 AM   #204
Lamb
christmas squid

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Hunters Contest '12 Boss Battle Contest - 2nd place:  - Issue reason: Had that cute crit glyph 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: LEGO Illustration Contest '11 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 

Hello Guys,

Been to a gamejam from Thursday to Saturday. So here are some tilesheets I made. Our game actually won first place. The theme was "Transition" and we made this isometric game about a fox that has to activate those magical ponds to regrow the greenery.

I have also been working on faces

Old 11-20-2016, 04:55 AM   #205
RobotCat
Best combination ever

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 1 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 2 
Total Awards: 2

Wow these are looking great. The tiles that are sitting on top of the grass tiles look weird, since they're overriding the top of the grass below them it looks like they're floating above the grass tiles...

That last study is amazing o_O
Old 11-20-2016, 12:37 PM   #206
Lamb
christmas squid

Awards Showcase

Haha thank you!

Yeah making the tiles seamless for the props would take up too much time, which we didn't have. But thank you.

Old 11-24-2016, 04:38 PM   #207
Campside
Karbonite

Your work is inspiring as usual man. I'm really impressed by how you were able to group the values of those portraits while retaining so much detail.

Last edited by Campside : 11-25-2016 at 08:34 PM.
Campside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:01 AM   #208
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 
Total Awards: 1

Those faces look awesome, dude. I love how accurately they read, even with the minimal values.
The last values study is also pretty awesome.
Congratulations on winning first place, brother!
Grieverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 06:38 AM   #209
Nmn
yo sup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotCat
That last study is amazing o_O
Agreed.
Like woah is not the word.
Nmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 02:02 PM   #210
Lamb
christmas squid

Awards Showcase

Thanks Dudes! Have a demoness.

Old 12-07-2016, 11:45 PM   #211
djizomdjinn
night painter

How very strange, I just named my newest edition to my character roster Astrid...

It's pretty (and clean too. How do you get your stuff so clean-edged?), but you have major silhouette problems with her left plated metal arm disappearing into the plated metal monster's body. It's also not helped by the stark white background which makes the whole piece dark by comparison, making it difficult to see the details on the arm that'd let us separate out the two.

I don't have much else to say though. Maybe work on the stone rendering a bit? Looks awfully shiny for something just yanked out of the floor. Nice job!
djizomdjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:25 PM   #212
Lamb
christmas squid

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by djizomdjinn
How very strange, I just named my newest edition to my character roster Astrid...

It's pretty (and clean too. How do you get your stuff so clean-edged?), but you have major silhouette problems with her left plated metal arm disappearing into the plated metal monster's body. It's also not helped by the stark white background which makes the whole piece dark by comparison, making it difficult to see the details on the arm that'd let us separate out the two.

I don't have much else to say though. Maybe work on the stone rendering a bit? Looks awfully shiny for something just yanked out of the floor. Nice job!
heh. I just derived the closest cool name from Astaroth/Ishtar on whom thi character is based. I am pretty sure that hey use the same proto indo european root of -sta for star.

There are several things to getting nice edges. First is controlling your shadows and volume. This goes before you start properly rendering anything. I do that in greyscale. I also used separate layers on the shape of the torso, on skin etc. I got rid of that division pretty early on, but it helped to keep it together (I painted the pauldrons over the more-or less finished piece and they still look crisp, because the foundations were there). A lot depends on the values. So if you are struggling with it, even though you meticulously try to keep your edges sharp, maybe some of the other stuff is wrong. Try to work as efficiently as possible. Too many uncontrolled brushstrokes can ruin the sharpest edge. Also feel free to use the lasso tool. I don't think I used it in this piece, but it is a great way to make crips cuts. I always kept a layer of each larger shape under the painting itself so I can create a selection any time and work on a particular bit without having to worry about my strokes messing up the rest.

Old 12-08-2016, 04:26 PM   #213
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: When Hell Freezes Over Contest '11 Boss Battle Contest - Winner: 1st place - Issue reason: Beat the scariest boss into a pulp 1st Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 
Total Awards: 3

Send a message via Skype™ to astrapho

Very exciting to see your improvement lamb Really sweet work on that game too. Any chance we could have a go at it? x)
astrapho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:00 AM   #214
Lamb
christmas squid

Awards Showcase

yeah sure. I hope this works. If you have no controller, just use left shift to dash, instead.