Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > GALLERY > Sketchbooks
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2016, 02:20 PM   #61
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

mmmm... love the rendering. The ball of light is nice, I struggled to do bright lights or coloured lighting in my paintings, not sure where to begin. My strategy generally involves getting the lighting done as if there was no colored light and than adding it at the very end.

"Life is one great journey. Shame about the destination"
johnway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 11:44 PM   #62
PariahJack
Karbonite

Im pretty much doing it the same way, since im mmostly painting in grayscale and adding the color at the very end via various layer effects.
PariahJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 01:38 AM   #63
PariahJack
Karbonite

Another quick sketch just to test my limits in posing and such. same character firing his signature move towards someone or something (hence the X)
Old 09-25-2016, 04:13 AM   #64
PariahJack
Karbonite

Playing around with some shit.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:33 AM   #65
PariahJack
Karbonite

Another quick sketch. Trying to get myself to work faster and get the idea on canvas as quick as possible.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:07 AM   #66
PariahJack
Karbonite

Here we go again. Trying to get the environment a little bit involved... Also i feel as if the colors were to oppressing so ill leave it black'n'white for now. Id be really glad if any who see this could tell me what kind of impact it has on you. Hows the character feel (disregard the pictures above) etc.
Old 10-12-2016, 02:07 PM   #67
PariahJack
Karbonite

Aight. so i did this:

And today i decided to rework himi into this: (original-lvl1-lvl2-lvl3)

Old 10-12-2016, 02:23 PM   #68
djizomdjinn
night painter

The light is nice, but compositionally.... it feels very unbalanced. There's nothing waiting in the mist to balance out, etc. I barely saw the dark energy ball hovering over his hand, the light gradient and his gaze all point to the bottom left of the canvas where there's nothing waiting.

Your level up concept is cool, but the hooded cloak is a very sudden silhouette change that also seems to change the concept of the character; I got this feral beserker vibe from the first three and then it changes to a sinister, subtler vibe all of a sudden. I also feel the horn should have been more involved in the transformation; whether he has two to start with and one breaks off later, or it grows, or... something.

Rendering is good, I'd say work on composition and concepting more.
djizomdjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:10 PM   #69
PariahJack
Karbonite

Thanks for the great feedback djizomdjinn! Ill definately try to get more into composition with my next pieces!
The reason for the hood is more clear withhin his story. Hes basically starting off as a "feral berserker" as you called him and then joins a dark deity to receive strong magical powers, hence the villainous air in the last piece. Alas the horn is part of his race and is kind of his trademark, hence i plan on keeping it the same =( Ill think off something though, maybe i can find a compromise.

Thanks again anyway, i highly appreciate the crits!
Old 10-17-2016, 04:51 PM   #70
PariahJack
Karbonite

Still unsure what to do with the horn, but i tried making the transformation a little bit more... appealing maybe?
Old 10-18-2016, 01:14 AM   #71
RobotCat
Best combination ever

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 1 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 2 
Total Awards: 2

I really like the hooded version. As for compsition, maybe shift the entire pic so that he isn't as centered? With the importance of the horn you probably want to have that be more of a focus. I did a quick paintover, although you can probably even move him even more over and give more precedence to the horn:

If he went into demonic magic then maybe the horn could be warped, to signify the changes in the dark magic that he's using. Although I might have gone a bit overboard on the dark energies lol...