Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > ACTIVITIES > Exercise Yard
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2005, 01:55 PM   #1
dfacto
Death by misadventure

Send a message via MSN to dfacto

Seeing as both cgtalk.com and conceptart.org have a daily forum sketch topic (and probably other forums as well) I was thinking that we could start some type of regular activity here on PK as well.

It would give people a chance to practice on set topics, plus have fun, Sort of like a focused speedpaint thread. Aside from that, it's a good motivation to draw.

I was thinking that a weekly activity would be best for PK, as there aren't as many of us as at the major forums, and posting probably wouldn't be enough in a day to fill a topic thread with more than 3 posts. A week gives people enough time to do a good job, plus it allows for time to finish it in case someone who wants to participate is too busy on a certain day.

Topics would be drawn from a list of member submitted ideas, and posted up every monday, either by a mod, or by an appointed member.

If we want, it could also be done more like the Creature of the Week, at CA.org, where a vote is conducted at the end for the forum goers to choose their favorite design, and elect a winner. Winner can get a special recognition thingy added under their avatar.

Anyone else think this would be fun?

Last edited by DN : 05-13-2005 at 12:54 PM.
dfacto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 01:58 PM   #2
SilverFox
Banned.

Send a message via AIM to SilverFox

I've been thinking about this too. Eatpoo has a weekly format that I really like, actually. I support any iteration of this idea.
SilverFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 02:01 PM   #3
unstable monki
Karbonite

sounds cool
unstable monki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 02:03 PM   #4
Protius404
TOHO 1954

It would nice to have around when you lack any ideas of your own. It could sure help get people out of a slump too. The only other idea thread we had was in the exercise yard. The Anime 100 I think it was. Sadly it didn't last long. So I totally support this idea. It would be great to have around.
Old 04-23-2005, 02:23 PM   #5
Zabur
Prince of Treachery

Send a message via ICQ to Zabur Send a message via AIM to Zabur Send a message via MSN to Zabur Send a message via Yahoo to Zabur

Yup, I really hope this happens. It would be a great way to practice when ur in a slump.

My Space Page.
Zabur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 04:06 PM   #6
the shining
you inner frat boy

this would have been better for me 2 days ago. I had a mental block sooo bad I couldn't even do a good stick figure. but Yeah I think this would be cool and it would give us some practice with stuff we're not used to.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:11 PM   #7
Jeanox
Hapless Ninny

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Epic Summer Contest '06 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Team Battle '06 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: New Year '07 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Time Lapse Contest '09 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Valentines Contest '06 
Total Awards: 6

Send a message via Skype™ to Jeanox

I've actually been skulking over at CA.org and have thought about this a lot. I'd participate for sure if we set some daily/weekly thing up.

if you're not prepared to be wrong, you'll never come up with anything original.

Tumblr
Youtube
ArtStation
Twitter
Jeanox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 05:13 PM   #8
Evil Iori

Send a message via MSN to Evil Iori

Sounds good.
Evil Iori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 05:39 PM   #9
FigureFour
Arachnid Israel

Send a message via MSN to FigureFour

You know the best way to impliment this? It would be to create a topic in the Art Activities section with the first weeks idea.
Then next week, you can put up another one.

It's not like you need the mods to make it official, start drawing allready.

-Spider Jerusalem, on police brutality.
FigureFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 05:49 PM   #10
dfacto
Death by misadventure

Send a message via MSN to dfacto

1) You need to bring attention to it. It isn't as if the Art Activities section is the most visited one on PK. If I start a thread there, it will get little attention. Or maybe not, but why bother taking a chance?

2) You need to see if people are even interested in an idea before you try it. Seems like everyone is on board, AND now they know that it could happen, so it is more likely that a thread like that would be popular.

3) Who knows, the mods may be nice and grant it an individual section, or somethin' somethin'. Doubtful, but shit happens.

4) New and interesting ideas tend to come up when people get together and discuss a topic. Why waste that.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:55 PM   #11
FigureFour
Arachnid Israel

1) It's got attention now.

2) Everyone is interested

3) If so, they will move the thread into the section.

4) Because if we keep discussing we'll never actually do it. If the first one sucks, there will be a second that we can discuss more.

The best way to get it going is to start while people are interested.
Why not just say you'll put up a new idea every Saturday. If people want to suggest ideas, they can suggest the next one.

Old 04-23-2005, 06:03 PM   #12
Shou
licensed to ill

you can try it in the activity forum at any time, if it becomes popular we could make a new forum for it
Old 04-23-2005, 06:13 PM   #13
FigureFour
Arachnid Israel

In that case I nominate "Ninjas?" as our first topic.

If that's too simple, something with ninjas in it.

Old 04-23-2005, 06:41 PM   #14
noah of the howards
Sand Garden Zen Mastah

Send a message via AIM to noah of the howards Send a message via MSN to noah of the howards Send a message via Yahoo to noah of the howards Send a message via Skype™ to noah of the howards

It's a great idea to me. My biggest problem in graphics is creativity. It'd be good.

There is nothing more difficult to carry out, nor more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to handle, than to initiate a new order of things. For the reformer has enemies in all those who profit by the old order, and only lukewarm defenders in all those who would profit by the new...
Niccolo Macchiavelli, The Prince

Go n-ithe an cat thu is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat.
noah of the howards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 07:16 PM   #15
Zabur
Prince of Treachery

Send a message via ICQ to Zabur Send a message via AIM to Zabur Send a message via MSN to Zabur Send a message via Yahoo to Zabur

Who will be incharge of changing the topic every week?

Also, will it be a weekly ordeal, or a daily one, or maybie both?

My Space Page.
Old 04-23-2005, 07:21 PM   #16
Snowfox
Karbonaught

How about a list of people that want to be involved, and each week the next person down gets to pick?
Old 04-23-2005, 07:25 PM   #17
DN
I'm standing behind you.

I saw you're post over at CA.org where you suggested some topics a few days ago, dfacto. I thought a lot of those were good. If you want to start it off, go ahead. I've considered jumping in on the dailies over there at some point, so doing weeklies might work out better for my schedule.

I'm with Shou. We have the exercise yard here for group activities, so feel free to test out your idea and see how it goes. Maybe try to contain it in one thread for now, and if enough people actually participate, we could look into making it a separate forum.
DN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 08:27 PM   #18
Zabur
Prince of Treachery

I believe that is permission or something..(like we needed it, hehe)

At lest this will give me a reason to visit another section of the forum besides ML and VG section, heh.

My Space Page.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:00 PM   #19
gmpilot
Go Rice, TUCK FEXAS!

I am soooo in. I've been wanting to have something like this for ages. The other thing I've been wanting to have I saw on some board, but I don't remember which one...it was where I post a character, then another person draws that character doing something, then posts another character, and the next person does the same.

-Check out my OUTDATED lineart. Seriously, I have drawn way more stuff since then.
gmpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 09:34 PM   #20
Natezero
Explode! Yay!

Send a message via MSN to Natezero Send a message via Yahoo to Natezero

sooo..when do we start?
Natezero is offline   Reply With Quote