Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > GALLERY > Art Critique
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2016, 02:41 AM   #1
Nmn
yo sup?

Color and B&W Let's talk about Ink, baby

Hello thar.

I'd like to learn of your opinions, dear sisters and brothers in arms of the art craft.
Lately I've been messing around with Ink. I'd like to learn your opinions on each technique and, hopefully, learn a thing or two, get to know your techniques.

Here's a pic of Alta Killa:

It presents 4 different inking methods I've tried thus far. Allow me to ellaborate - everyone knows that when you ink a sketch it tends to loose some of its energy, certain lines become simplified and they lose their vividness. This is why some people prefer to color their sketches rather than to ink them.

I personally prefer dirty but more vivid sketches over the clean, but seemingly mechanical ink-tracing of the original which retains only a portion of its initial loose expressive power, but then ofcourse a pretty, clean lineart beats everything unclean, it just looks more professional. Perhaps there exists a way to get best of both?

Now to talk about these techniques:
- Quick (top-left) - quick swipes of lines using a transparent brush. This is very rapid and for some reason the transparen lines contribute to the general cleaniness of the piece. They will usually be colored as the piece progresses.

- Traditional (top-middle) - what we all probably have seen on YT. It's line - no - ctrl+z - line - no - ctrl+z type of inking until we hit the good line. Because more emphasize is put on the clean and elegant lines most original lines get simplified and become stiffer than the original sketch.

- Mechanical (top-right) - like w/ traditional, except no size-variation in the brush, so the inker has more control over the weights. This has a mechanical appearance, but is faster than the traditional method.

- "Slow-Ink" (bottom-left) - this, I believe, is my custom method which I've used the last summer vacation, I haven't seen anyone ink like this. Basically you build the lines in a slow manner one after another. This gives semingly total control over the curvature of the lines, and is more like a cleaning up of the sketch rather than inking in its sense, however, it is no as CRISP as the traditonal method, imperfections and jaggy stuff happen here and there and will happen no matter what.

- Sketch (bottom-right) - for comparison.

Ofcourse I never claimed to be a good inker, quite the opposite, that's why I'm really into others' input on the manner. Which do you percieve as the cleaniest, most expressive and so on?

Plz don't mind the pixalization of the sketch - it was enlarged from a thumb.

I'll probably return later with another character inked.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:51 AM   #2
Lamb
christmas squid

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Hunters Contest '12 Boss Battle Contest - 2nd place:  - Issue reason: Had that cute crit glyph 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: LEGO Illustration Contest '11 
Total Awards: 4

Send a message via ICQ to Lamb

zoom in into this painting and check what the lines look like. http://cdn2.gamefront.com/wp-content...ster_Final.jpg

See how loose they are but they still produce a pleasant result.

So I'd suggest you go for whatever works best.

I like the result of 2 and 3 in your sheet.

http://chronoray.tumblr.com/
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:09 AM   #3
Nmn
yo sup?

Good point there
Old 04-01-2016, 09:11 AM   #4
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 
Total Awards: 1

I like the quick and traditional ones.
Lamb, that is an awesome picture, with an awesome example. Sometimes I tend to get caught up in making sure each line is perfect, even if you can't quite see it in the finished product. That picture is an eye-opener.
Grieverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 02:26 PM   #5
Campside
Karbonite

This is a great post on inking and lighting by Jesse Hamm you may find useful:
https://www.patreon.com/posts/4906254

My favorite of your inking examples is your sketch. I feel like perfectly clean and calculated lines lack character. I like it when the style of the linework reflects the nature of what it's describing.

The post I linked describes a particular style of inking used by many of the best comic-book artists such as David Mazzucchelli, Frank Miller, Alex Toth, Mike Mignola, etc. The basic idea is that you eliminate unnecessary detail by either casting it in shadow or overpowering it with light. It's minimalism guided by the lighting of the scene.

I'd be interested in seeing how you're work would look if you tried that inking style.
Campside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:14 AM   #6
Nmn
yo sup?

Thanks for the tip mah'man. I read a lot of Sin City, but frankly speaking I don't like the hard contrast black shadows type of inking, because they loose the cartoonish simplification I stride for in my works. I will definitely try spotting blacks now or then since the idea's been sitting at the back of my head for a while now.

I know allright that the sketch is by far the most vivid and energetic that the clean lines and stuff take the energy away from a drawing, that's what annoys me the most about inking - I'd just stick with a skech without inking it (plus manufacturing pieces'd be a lot quicker

Unfortunately it looks jaggedy and dirty and that'd annoy me. I want cleaniness, whilst keeping the energy of the sketch ), thus the entire dilemma.

EDIT:
Ok, posting some new stuff

Here I tried the various inking methods on another character. In "Contro" it was more of a controlled, steady line. Normally I would slash lines quickly, tends to look more clean, these feel more natural but they end up more dirty.

Here I tried various methods, I think that by numbers 4 and 5 my hand was pumped enough to make stuff clean, thus they are my prefers, but they still lack what I'm looking for. Damn Sir Rettel's right leg sucks.

I'm in the process of coloring the last piece, will post it in my sketchbook later.

Last edited by Nmn : 04-09-2016 at 09:42 AM.
Nmn is offline   Reply With Quote