Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > COMMUNITY > Art & Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2011, 06:26 PM   #1
polyKar123
Karbonite

Default Figure Drawing

I've been practicing for a month now and have been improving slowly. When I say this I mean how I manage to remember how to draw certain shapes that make up the human figure.

My biggest problem happens to be when I want to draw a new pose but I do not know how the muscles look in that new position. Additionally, I have problems with proportions. Should I draw a proportion line and then construct the human figure or do I just draw the line from the side and then construct? Ultimately my overall question is how do I improve in figure drawing so I can draw the human figure and it looks good and I can show my drawing off to people and I can be like "Hey so and so, look at my drawings" and they can be like "damn buddy, they sure looks pretty dang good."

P.S. I am currently reading figure drawing for what it's worth
polyKar123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:45 AM   #2
Phl
Clang-Klang!

Send a message via AIM to Phl Send a message via MSN to Phl Send a message via Skype™ to Phl

Well i'd have to say what's helped me a lot is to draw from reference pictures. Find yourself some model photos or just nice photos with good contrast and go from there. Just draw what you see.

Phl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:53 AM   #3
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: When Hell Freezes Over Contest '11 Boss Battle Contest - Winner: 1st place - Issue reason: Beat the scariest boss into a pulp 1st Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 
Total Awards: 3

Send a message via Skype™ to astrapho

Your goal is completely off. With thinking like that you're gonna miss the entire point of figure drawing. You have to feel the gesture and the mass and the little shade and nuances of the muscles, you have to feel the tension and the sags and the softness and transluscence of the skin. Sensitivity! Do it because it's beautiful and admiration will come naturally. Doing it the other way round makes you a good showman, not an artist.

Of course I know I've no business telling you what your attitude should be, but after all the drawing, this is what I learnt and you're free to take or ignore my suggestion.

Edit: thought i'd drop something actually helpful. For proportion, one of the methods is to mentally take a part of the figure and compare it's length to another part. For example the legs may be 1.2 times the length of the torso. Then you think of the angle. Etc. Etc.

Last edited by astrapho : 06-07-2011 at 09:07 AM.
astrapho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:22 AM   #4
Lamb
christmas squid

Awards Showcase
Boss Battle Contest - 2nd place:  - Issue reason: Had that cute crit glyph 1st Place:  - Issue reason: Hunters Contest '12 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: LEGO Illustration Contest '11 
Total Awards: 4

Send a message via ICQ to Lamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyKar123
"Hey so and so, look at my drawings" and they can be like "damn buddy, they sure looks pretty dang good."
This can be easily achieved. You can do this by copying anime characters off your screen. The real challenge is recognition by the art community itself.

Lately my suggestions all converge into one bottom line: have fun.

http://chronoray.tumblr.com/
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:59 PM   #5
billiegene
Non-Newtonia Goo Monster

Send a message via MSN to billiegene

Quote:
Originally Posted by handipeter
Figure drawing is an exercise in drawing the human body in its various shapes and positions. "Life drawing" is the process of drawing the human figure from observation of a live model. Figure drawing is arguably the most difficult subject an artist commonly encounters, and entire classes are dedicated to the subject.
The human figure is one of the most enduring themes in the visual arts, and figure drawing can be applied to portraiture, cartooning and comic book illustration, sculpture, medical illustration, and other fields that use depictions of the human form. Figure drawing can be done very simply, as in gesture drawing, or in greater detail, using charcoal, pencil or other drawing tools. If pigment is used, the process may be called figure painting.
I was unaware of what figure drawing was, so thank you bot, thank you so much!
My Soundcloud - DJ BillieGene
billiegene is offline   Reply With Quote