Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > GALLERY > Sketchbooks
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2009, 09:45 PM   #41
straussefy
Karbonite

Az, I like a lot of the work I see here in your sketchbook! I don't want to be like that banned asshat but I would like to see you explore outside of that pointed chin concept, and truly develop your own place in the world! Everything I see that extends beyond the traditional and more popular "anime" style seems to flare out a lot!

The mecha piece you have in here is totally awesome, I'm envious!

Don't take this is a heavy criticism, I just think with a little bit of experimentation and work you could take your art to a whole new level, as I see it as a setback rather than a defining element....

Take this for what it is, as I believe you already have some points above some "pros" in some of this artwork.
straussefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:38 AM   #42
vcat2k
Egyptian Prince

Send a message via AIM to vcat2k

I was talking about the poker night coloring page.The shading on the characters just needs a little more fine tuning to complete it The guy in the blue.
Dedicated to Lufia 2 SNES AKA Estpolis in DS
vcat2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:12 PM   #43
Professor Az
TK-85650

straussefy - Right now I'm on an anime kick, as it is very hard to master, compared to some of the other things I've done professionally in the past. Even after ten years or so of drawing it, the overall stylization is very hard to get to look right for me. I'd like to think I have my own style, something that is easily recognizable, but I still think I have a long way to go. Thanks for the input.

vcat2k - I see what you're talking about now, and yes, you are right. The graphic tablet is my nemesis right now. Pen and ink I can handle, but the digital realm is new to me. I wanted his clothes to have a metallic sheen to them, so I went with very thick and round brushes during his coloring. I'm still struggling with it.

Now then, I just did yet another AzTech Road Show, and here are the results...

Lady Smoking a Cigarette - Somebody left a magazine on their seat at the airport, so I doodled away during my layover.

Grade School Writing Contest Winner - There was a newspaper on the seat behind me, and it had some interesting lighting values, so I drew that, too.

Beaver Dam Article - In the same paper, there was an image of a beaver to go along with the article. I read the article, then drew my version of the critter.

Benjamin J. Grimm - I like the way the new series looks, so I drew the Thing on my trip back.

Doodles - Just some random crap that dribbled out of my puny brain while en route back home.

As always, crits are welcome.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:37 PM   #44
Professor Az
TK-85650

Mecha-Killer - Roxx, doing her thing. The mechas are just something I doodled up so there's some sort of background going on.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:06 AM   #45
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 1st Place:  - Issue reason: When Hell Freezes Over Contest '11 Boss Battle Contest - Winner: 1st place - Issue reason: Beat the scariest boss into a pulp 
Total Awards: 3

Send a message via Skype™ to astrapho

Woooo!! Moarr!!!
astrapho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:31 PM   #46
Professor Az
TK-85650

The Dark - Because D&D is better. I came up with this nasty critter back in 1979, and have been playing it in my campaigns at every place I've been stationed. Then, last month, a colleague of mine and I were discussing it, and I decided to draw it up.

Done on printer paper with a regular 0.5mm mechanical pencil. Yes, really.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:12 PM   #47
FlyingChild
Pre-used plaster

It's crazy, I love how it/he/she fades in the forest The only thing that bugs me is the guy's position, it doesn't feel so natural, but beside this, it's amazing. Your art is greeeat!
Old 01-05-2010, 06:18 PM   #48
jeco
Industriously apathetic

That thing is pretty wicked looking. It's face kind of reminds me of those Bomb creatures from Final Fantasy.

So what is its CR? I bet my party could take it.

Sketchbook
jeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:34 PM   #49
Professor Az
TK-85650

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeco
That thing is pretty wicked looking. It's face kind of reminds me of those Bomb creatures from Final Fantasy.

So what is its CR? I bet my party could take it.
It's CR is variable, depending on the level and experience of the party. If you're a DM, I can PM you the stats for 2ed. It's easy enough to upgrade to 4ed, according to my D&D buddies.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:26 PM   #50
jeco
Industriously apathetic

I'm not the DM, and we play 3.5

Ah 2nd edition, just thinking about THAC0 again makes my head hurt

Sketchbook
Old 01-11-2010, 10:40 PM   #51
Professor Az
TK-85650

Xenid Concept - Been drawing this alien species ever since I came up with Roxx, Dina, and the rest of my comic characters. This is an attempt to make them a bit more original. Done up with 0.5mm pencil on printer paper.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:16 AM   #52
jeco
Industriously apathetic

This page really shows your diversity of styles, pretty much every picture is a different one. I love that last one. Did you reference a specific type of fish when designing that? I ask because I think I referenced that same fish in a drawing, they are so damn bizarre they just look alien to begin with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Az
Right now I'm on an anime kick, as it is very hard to master, compared to some of the other things I've done professionally in the past. Even after ten years or so of drawing it, the overall stylization is very hard to get to look right for me.
In all honesty I like it because your not nailing the anime style spot on.

I dislike the typical anime style because a lot of it tends to look the same, generic and trite. On the other hand when an artist lets it influence his style rather than just mimicking it entirely then you can get some cool looking styles out of it.

I think your biggest issue with this style is the way you draw noses. You tend to make them look like they are upturned or being viewed from below when they shouldn't be.

For example-

Sketchbook
Old 01-12-2010, 12:54 AM   #53
asi
I'm Blunt

Quote:
The Dark - Because D&D is better. I came up with this nasty critter back in 1979
you where thinking awesome 9 years before I was born >-<
kinda ruins my chance of catching up
I like getting my share of back pats on DeviantArt
asi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:12 AM   #54
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 1st Place:  - Issue reason: When Hell Freezes Over Contest '11 Boss Battle Contest - Winner: 1st place - Issue reason: Beat the scariest boss into a pulp 
Total Awards: 3

Send a message via Skype™ to astrapho

How much is that anglerfishkomododragoncockroach in the window?

Awesumsauce. Naturally.
astrapho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:02 AM   #55
Professor Az
TK-85650

jeco - Yes, the reference is an Anglerfish, from the deepest parts of the Marianas Trench in the Atlantic. I know about the noses, and yes, I do them that way on purpose, just like the pointy chins someone pointed out earlier. Not because I don't know how to draw noses or chins, but because I like to draw them that way. However, you're right, I need to look at rethinking them when in poses that wouldn't show them upturned. My current "style" if you will, is a culmination of my older Image/Marvel style plus some anime influence thrown in, and no, I have not mastered it yet. Back to the drawing board.

asi - OK, I'll call it. B.S. I've been doing art and drawing my comics for 30 years. Think about that for a second. I've been doing art this long, and will probably never make a living from my comics. You have plenty of time not only to catch up, but to be waaaaayyy better than me. Now get out there and draw, ya lazy bum.

astrapho - They run $39.95 each. At three meters tall, and about 200 kilos each, they will suck out your life force and memories, shape shift to look just like you, and run up all your credit cards. Thanks.

Random Girl #348 - Self crits... her head is too big, and so is her right hand. Once again, I drew her with one of my AzTechian noses, and the ubiquitous pointy chin. Erg... must... stop... doing ... that. The monitor says, "Error... You suck! Have a nice day!", which is a holdover from my programming days.

Beta Two - Another one of my 1980s Artifact characters, done up in blueline on Strathmore 50 lb. sketchbook paper. Remember kiddies, you don't have to have a background in mechanical engineering to draw good mechas, but it don't hurt, neither. I may end up inking a finalized version of this on the Wacom later. Of course I've said that before, haven't I?

Last edited by Professor Az : 01-12-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Professor Az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:54 PM   #56
Billov
Digimonk

Awards Showcase
3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 
Total Awards: 1

Send a message via MSN to Billov Send a message via Skype™ to Billov

Quote:
Spoiler:

These two are sick. Dunno how those updates slipped past me...
Really dig that meloncholy style

I agree about the noses, I much prefer a bit more depth/realism in a nose... but its always hard to balance descriptive drawing and aesthetically pleasing drawing... for instance, its easy to go overboard with detail and you end up with a big ugly nose :S
~MyDevART don't expect frequent updates
~my weird music Latest track: Crayonbreath
Billov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:32 PM   #57
Professor Az
TK-85650

Well, during my initial research when I first tried to draw in the anime/manga style, I found that a lot of times all you got was a shadow for a nose, or a squiggly line that had nothing to do with what a nose looked like period. I mean, just look at the Yoko image in my avatar! That's not a nose, but it doesn't detract from the style of the image, either.

I went back to my classes of drawing Disney type noses, and the Image style that was popular at the time, and came up with how I draw them now: upturned, and minimalized. Hey look, I made a word!

Thanks for the encouraging words, everyone.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:28 PM   #58
Professor Az
TK-85650

Dina and Friend - Doodled up to show size differencial between my aliens and a human sized character...

Crawford WIP - From my sketch exchange thread with 5te and jeco...

Old 01-15-2010, 12:10 AM   #59
Threes
umop episdn

Send a message via AIM to Threes Send a message via MSN to Threes Send a message via Yahoo to Threes

the hair is gorgeous, you must must do more!
Old 01-15-2010, 05:58 PM   #60
FlyingChild
Pre-used plaster

Yuuuuup, awesome hair, and I also love the neck (don't know why). It'll look great in the end.

On the other drawings, I still think the poses don't fully look natural. Some are really working well and some others really look stiff. Good work.