Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > COMMUNITY > Art & Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2015, 06:38 PM   #1
Ninja-J
Karbonite

Default Examples of Illustration concept art for a video game?

Does anyone know any good examples on illustration concept art for a video game? Like let's say you're planning a story for a video game. You have to plan out concept art work showing what is the game is about. Like scenes with certain characters going on an adventure and highlighting the important parts of the story. Stuff like that.

It's difficult to find some because I keep coming across Zelda or Mario concept art fanart.

I hope it's not too confusing.

Last edited by Ninja-J : 02-11-2015 at 08:35 PM.
Ninja-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:39 PM   #2
Ninja-J
Karbonite

Let me explain this a bit further.

My teacher told me that I need to have the meaning behind the digital illustrations that I'm doing for the Senior Project (I already picked out the theme of the project). Like how do the images linked together and what is the story behind it? What is the images going to be used for? Is the illustrations is for a video game, comic books, movies, etc.?
Old 02-12-2015, 05:04 AM   #3
afroXcore
Not here, not now.

Send a message via AIM to afroXcore Send a message via Skype™ to afroXcore

From what I've seen of concept art, much of it is a tool to really help realize the game, setting down some goal posts for the other artists to work towards, or to help producers and such.

Settings, characters and their interactions with each other are fleshed out here. I'm in a similar predicament for designing characters and a setting for my graphic novel class, where I take my written descriptions and sketch out something (or sketch out something and THEN make a written description), and make serious consideration for the setting and everything.

In a sense, they're blueprints you follow as you get to building your setting and story. Let's start you off by looking for some recent big name projects and their concept art. Like, look for any from the Book of Life, Guardians of the Galaxy, or videogames like Assassins Creed or Destiny or something big budget with a fictional setting. It shouldn't be so hard to find once you narrow your focus.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:20 AM   #4
jeco
Industriously apathetic

Well "illustration" and "concept art" are generally two different things. An illustration generally has story or meaning in the content and is concerned with aesthetic qualities and appealing directly to the "consumer". Whereas, concept art isn't really about the artistic aspects but rather, is a visual tool to show the design of a thing to other members of your team.

What you need sounds more like illustrative work, or even story board type stuff. Your best bet might be to look for artists and studios who do illustration and concept art and just go through their portfolios. Here are a few to get you started:
Feng Zhu Design; his Blog; his youtube series; his school's galleries;
Massive Black ...apparently I have link to their older site too (your browser may try to redirect you)
Concept Art House
Sons of the Storm
Creative Uncut has concept art from almost every game you can think of :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja-J
It's difficult to find some because I keep coming across Zelda or Mario concept art fanart.
I guess it all depends on where you search and what terms you use lol
http://www.deviantart.com/tag/concept
http://www.deviantart.com/tag/conceptart
http://www.deviantart.com/tag/illustration

Hopefully some of that will be of use to you.

Sketchbook
jeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:09 PM   #5
djizomdjinn
night painter

Yep, keep in mind that even a lot of "concept art" published in game or movie artbooks is polished more than the majority of concept art actually used during production.

A lot of this is because concept art almost by definition has a tight timetable attached to it; someone else is waiting on your art, and your art never makes it into the final product anyways, so all the emphasis is on 'fast' and 'good enough' instead of 'perfect'.

This is the quick and dirty side of concept art that doesn't make it into the artbooks.
http://skul4aface.blogspot.com/2013/...ess-giffs.html
djizomdjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:36 PM   #6
afroXcore
Not here, not now.

Until we finally get an animated gif into print form. The technology is almost there man.

That right there is a perfect example of concept art. Anything that's made for conceptualization will have this rushed, ragged look that I frankly love. It's only function is to flesh out the world and give the 3D, set design, costume design, director, etc an idea of what their moving toward.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:22 PM   #7
Ninja-J
Karbonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by afroXcore
Until we finally get an animated gif into print form. The technology is almost there man.

That right there is a perfect example of concept art. Anything that's made for conceptualization will have this rushed, ragged look that I frankly love. It's only function is to flesh out the world and give the 3D, set design, costume design, director, etc an idea of what their moving toward.
I see. So it's just not digital painting only. Something more like photo manipulation and 3D?
Old 02-12-2015, 02:23 PM   #8
Ninja-J
Karbonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeco
Well "illustration" and "concept art" are generally two different things. An illustration generally has story or meaning in the content and is concerned with aesthetic qualities and appealing directly to the "consumer". Whereas, concept art isn't really about the artistic aspects but rather, is a visual tool to show the design of a thing to other members of your team.

What you need sounds more like illustrative work, or even story board type stuff. Your best bet might be to look for artists and studios who do illustration and concept art and just go through their portfolios. Here are a few to get you started:
Feng Zhu Design; his Blog; his youtube series; his school's galleries;
Massive Black ...apparently I have link to their older site too (your browser may try to redirect you)
Concept Art House
Sons of the Storm
Creative Uncut has concept art from almost every game you can think of :P

I guess it all depends on where you search and what terms you use lol
http://www.deviantart.com/tag/concept
http://www.deviantart.com/tag/conceptart
http://www.deviantart.com/tag/illustration

Hopefully some of that will be of use to you.
These sources sounds really helpful. I'm going to look into it right now!

Thank you so much! :-)
Old 02-12-2015, 04:11 PM   #9
djizomdjinn
night painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja-J
I see. So it's just not digital painting only. Something more like photo manipulation and 3D?
Whatever it takes to get the idea onto a screen / page in the least amount of time. I can't say how common it is in the industry, but some of these pieces have a deadline of only a day or even a few hours.

Remember, it's not cheating if it looks good (except for plagiarism of course).
djizomdjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 04:33 PM   #10
afroXcore
Not here, not now.

it's a sketchbook, really.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:55 PM   #11
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 
Total Awards: 1

I'm not a member of Pinterest, but you might find this useful
https://www.pinterest.com/characterdesigh/
It's a huge database when it comes to character design (which is what I'm interested in.)
Grieverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 05:08 AM   #12
jeco
Industriously apathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grieverjoe
It's a huge database when it comes to character design (which is what I'm interested in.)
Is there a way to browse that site without the "sign up or log in" nag screen? The site is a great source for images but annoys the hell out of me. Maybe I should just sign up, but the whole intrusive nagging puts me off.

Sketchbook
jeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:32 AM   #13
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeco
Is there a way to browse that site without the "sign up or log in" nag screen? The site is a great source for images but annoys the hell out of me. Maybe I should just sign up, but the whole intrusive nagging puts me off.
I honestly don't know. I use my wife's account, but I agree with you, it is pretty annoying. It might be worth creating an account simply to browse. I thought about doing that, but then my wife said I could just use hers.
Grieverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 05:49 PM   #14
afroXcore
Not here, not now.

i broke down a while ago and just linked it to my facebook acct. I'm using it less and less any.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:12 AM   #15
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: When Hell Freezes Over Contest '11 Boss Battle Contest - Winner: 1st place - Issue reason: Beat the scariest boss into a pulp 1st Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 
Total Awards: 3

Send a message via Skype™ to astrapho

Quote:
Any technique that gets it down fast is acceptable and abused the hell right out of . Idk how common it is for other studios, but my studio definitely encourages photobashing and quick dirty sketches when it comes to concept. There's really no point in wasting time making concept art look like fine art or painting the texture here when you can just put a photo on it and use a blending mode to get the effect in like 10 seconds. As I understand it basically the main goals are 1. get the rough idea 2. get the essence 3. get the feel.

Pinterest is not so bad... saves tons of time when you just want to get a rough idea at the start. Nitty gritty research is still necessary though haha.
astrapho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 04:11 PM   #16
Ninja-J
Karbonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrapho
Any technique that gets it down fast is acceptable and abused the hell right out of . Idk how common it is for other studios, but my studio definitely encourages photobashing and quick dirty sketches when it comes to concept. There's really no point in wasting time making concept art look like fine art or painting the texture here when you can just put a photo on it and use a blending mode to get the effect in like 10 seconds. As I understand it basically the main goals are 1. get the rough idea 2. get the essence 3. get the feel.

Pinterest is not so bad... saves tons of time when you just want to get a rough idea at the start. Nitty gritty research is still necessary though haha.
Damn, I have really learn something new today when it comes down to concept art! I'm not going to lie, but I always thought they have to do speed paintings to get down the concept.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:13 PM   #17
Ninja-J
Karbonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grieverjoe
I'm going to bookmark this. There's a lot of cool stuff on Pinterest. Thank you for the heads up, Grieverjoe!