Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > COMMUNITY > Member's Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2015, 04:13 PM   #1
king of bandits

Default Jupiter Ascending

Yes it's a dumb movie, I can't in all honesty recommend going to see it. IT BLOWS, however it's stupidly well made. Like to the point where I actually want to see concept art from it. Everything about that movie was well designed aside from whatever you wanna call a semblance of narrative that I ended up watching was. I can honestly say though there wasn't a point in that movie that was visually dull. Anyone else end up seeing it? I still wanna go see The seventh son, so I might just be a glutton for punishment.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:54 PM   #2
afroXcore
Not here, not now.

Send a message via AIM to afroXcore Send a message via Skype™ to afroXcore

That sounds like such a waste of talent.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:12 PM   #3
Jeanox
Hapless Ninny

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Epic Summer Contest '06 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Team Battle '06 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: New Year '07 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Time Lapse Contest '09 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Valentines Contest '06 
Total Awards: 6

Send a message via Skype™ to Jeanox

^^^most of hollywood is.

if you're not prepared to be wrong, you'll never come up with anything original.

Tumblr
Youtube
ArtStation
Twitter
Jeanox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:10 AM   #4
Anyte
The Unsmiling

These days I spend more effort on thinking about seeing movies than actually seeing them. I've gotten real selective when it comes to Hollywood movies, makers of movies, and actors. I've come to the conclusion that nearly everything that has a pretty and exciting trailer is not worth my time; it won't have enough substance to keep me awake and watching.

I watch a lot of imports - I haven't seen enough of them to be annoyed by the redundancies yet; plus I'm still into movies with crazy violence.

I wonder if Kingsman will be good or not. Red was great, the sequel made me sad.

A Child of God made me very sad and tragically disappointed. Just saying. It was not the movie that it appeared to be in the trailer ... not even close.
Anyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:24 AM   #5
afroXcore
Not here, not now.

I find, and this is mostly true of streaming options with me, that the less I know about a movie, the more inclined i'll be to see it.
It's just more fun to jump in and not know what you're getting sometimes. I might not get blown away, but I could enjoy myself.

As for jupiter ascending, i'll just wait until it's on netflix to check it out.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:17 AM   #6
Jeanox
Hapless Ninny

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Epic Summer Contest '06 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Team Battle '06 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: New Year '07 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Time Lapse Contest '09 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Valentines Contest '06 
Total Awards: 6

Send a message via Skype™ to Jeanox

Most hollywood movies would be infinitely more interesting to me if, instead of some young hot dude doing most of the stuff while the chicks sit and watch, mix it up a bit. Like, keep the exact same formula, but have it be about lesbians. Young hot-headed chick does things while some other chick watches or acts as support and in the end, they get together. I've seen the dullest plots pulled off by just doing this. I won't deny, I'm hella biased here.

if you're not prepared to be wrong, you'll never come up with anything original.

Tumblr
Youtube
ArtStation
Twitter
Jeanox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 11:43 AM   #7
Anyte
The Unsmiling

Noooo. No more young and hot.

I've come to believe that most of the big contenders of the 60's 70's and 80's wouldn't stand a chance in the biz today; many of them didn't meet today's standard of young and hot.

How about just convincing for the role like Gina whatsherface from MMA fame? I've seen her in a couple of movies and I love her! She's convincing cuz she's got the goods to back-up the roles she's been in.

I was never a big Donnie Yen fan but the more he mixes up the way he does things the more I like him. He doesn't stick to a tired old formulaic character that comes across like a personification of himself. He's not my favorite action star though ... I don't think I have a favorite.

Ooo ... and no more OLD guys playing like they ain't 60 to 80 years old. Tired of it. It's bad enough that all the key players in soaps (which I don't watch) are making out like they are forty but they were thirty when I was 20 so they gotta be at least 60 now.

And movies that look like they're pretty should have a little substance to go with all that pretty.
Anyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:53 AM   #8
afroXcore
Not here, not now.

I'm getting the sense that a lot of people aren't breaking into acting roles, either because the old guard's agents scoop up any roles like jealous mothers, or people just aren't trying out (unlikely). But more than any of that, producers are being TOO safe with casting, so you get the same old names because no one wants to take a risk on an actor no one's heard of on a really big role.

Look at Liam Neeson. Ever since Taken came out, he's been playing that same role over and over again. Either it's that their making the same movie over and over for him, or their throwing him onto the same movies anyway. I've heard a suggestion that he would've been better for a Naked Gun remake than Ed Helms, which would shake off that super serious tone he brings to films. And Ed Helms is eh to me. Funny, but not a leading man, like how I always felt about Will Ferrell (even after Anchorman).
Old 03-06-2015, 09:59 AM   #9
clin
BANNED

Default Jupiter Ascending

Wasnt Kingsman supposed to be out months ago? I remember the previews looking like a misbegotten comedy about a delinquent being recruited and trained by a mystery spy organization...then it never came out, and some six months later Im seeing previews for what looks like a completely different, serious action-adventure movie. What the hell happened with it? Did the original cut prescreen that badly that they pulled the release and re-cut it? I havent read many reviews of Jupiter Ascending, but what I have seen were some of the most amusingly bad reviews Ive seen since Showgirls.
clin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 07:12 PM   #10
king of bandits

It was bad clin, like hilariously bad. It's weird that I still see it up in theatres. Kingsmen was pretty dope though. I can say you should go give that spin, but just stay away from jupiter ascending unless you want to see the amazeballs beautiful scifi stuff. You are however going to have to turn your brain off for like 2 hrs.