Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > COMMUNITY > Member's Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2014, 06:32 PM   #1
Anyte
The Unsmiling

Default Your personal update

What? I get super busy and everyone runs for the hills? I'm flattered.

I've been bogged down with multiple sewing projects, helping my son finish out the school year, and boring personal junk that I can't even fully recall. Oh, I've come up with about a dozen new recipes for my book and I've been slogging through them trying to get them as good as possible.

I had pulled out a sketchbook and some pencils but I'm more committed to my sewing projects. I have a couple that should have been completed by now but I had hurt my hand and wasn't able to do much of anything. I slept most of the first week away for lack of anything meaningful to do.

What are you doing? Where are you? What's going on?

Now that I have that out of my system I have to go lay in front of the television and wait for bedtime to roll around. I had a very long day with too many errands and tasks and I'm just done. Done!
Anyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:14 PM   #2
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 
Total Awards: 1

Busy, like you.
Working all day, coming home and helping wife with baby, then getting an hour or two for drawing time before bed. Sometimes, drawing time is replaced with videogame time (Dragon's Dogma, currently!)
Other than that, not a lot. Haven't hung out with any friends lately, and my wife's parents came to visit this past weekend. We did some gardening and landscaping.
That's about it. I'm boring.
Grieverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:41 AM   #3
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

I've been looking for work after i ended my rolling contract with another company. I've spent the time looking for work and doing some drawing practice. Specifically the female figure using scrap paper and i've been trying to study other things. Yesterday it was clothing folds and is was the usual generic ones. I did have my hands on color theory and some exercises but it doesn't appear that blending color works the same way as it normally would (or i'm missing the point somewhere). You can see some of my stuff online here that i recently uploaded. Should try more tablet exercises rather then paper ones.

Got an interview today and if it goes well i might have less time to study art. A bit of a shame as i was enjoying myself drawing and ignoring my current problem. I would probably be spending time studying IT instead.

Oh and the evenings i'm playing computer games as usual.

With everything going on, i'm Feeling slightly despondent at the moment.

"Life is one great journey. Shame about the destination"
johnway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:07 AM   #4
Lamb
christmas squid

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Hunters Contest '12 Boss Battle Contest - 2nd place:  - Issue reason: Had that cute crit glyph 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: LEGO Illustration Contest '11 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 
Total Awards: 4

Send a message via ICQ to Lamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyte
Oh, I've come up with about a dozen new recipes for my book and I've been slogging through them trying to get them as good as possible.
Turkey upper thigh chopped into cubes. Cut up some champignon mushrooms as well (fresh are best), you may also add garlic and bacon (Chopped, I love chopped stuff) and throw this all onto a frying pan. The magic about turkey is that it takes a bit longer than chicken so you can start frying it along with the mushrooms which would otherwise need some more time.

I usually do this with rice. Parboiled with a bit of salt. After it is cooked, mix some sour cream into it. Then put that into a bowl together with the meat and mushrooms and mix those up as well.

This basic recipe can be improved by things. It is very simple and very tasty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnway
Specifically the female figure
Ah, the thorough research I put into studying the female figure.

Other than that, I'm super sad. At least I think so. I was doing a test asset for a game company around here and apparently they were amazed by how good it was (A few friends work there, I hope they didn't lie to make me feel better - but they probably weren't because the art director took my stuff and showed it to the actual designers to show them how it's done (lol)) They called me in for an interview and it went good. Except that I have a 2 month cancellation at my current job (which I don't like) and they couldn't wait for so long and hired someone else. This sucks so much TT__TT

http://chronoray.tumblr.com/
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:56 PM   #5
Alucard1515
BANNED? You tell me?

Awards Showcase
2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Video Game Sequential Contest '07 

Send a message via AIM to Alucard1515

I dunno, always busy.

I'm drawing/inking/coloring/lettering a project, and just coloring a bunch of others. Like... 12 or something? Some are large, some not so much, but a lot all together. Got a few coloring jobs with bigger publishers this year. I had already done some work with Dynamite and Zenescope (blech), now I've had some work published through IDW and Boom, and just recently, Dark Horse. Maybe Image soon? Not sure where a couple of these projects are going to end up.

Work is most of what I do. Starting dating someone a couple months ago, too, so that accounts for the rest of my time. :P

100 sketches in 100 days
Sketchbook
Alucard1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 04:34 PM   #6
Jeanox
Hapless Ninny

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Epic Summer Contest '06 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Valentines Contest '06 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Team Battle '06 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Time Lapse Contest '09 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: New Year '07 
Total Awards: 6

Send a message via Skype™ to Jeanox

Finishing up a game I've been working on for 18 months with my little indie company. Doing animations for another local indie project. Trying desperately to remember how to relax and take time for myself.

Cooking when I can, hiking every week, working out every day. Mountain biking too. Working out so much I got runners knee, which means I need to stop doing that too and that makes me sad. I kinda refuse to give in, so I'll transition to yoga or something.

Going to Pax Prime later this summer with my dev team. Trying to stop my bank account from hemorrhaging while I make my games. One pays 15/hour, the other nothing (cause...well...trying to get a business off the ground is a special process. Gotta get cashflow established).

I want to do more personal painting. It's a great relief when I can find the time. I'd like to experiment with turning my enviros into some ambient loopable animations (clouds moving, wind blowing, that kinda thing). Also wanting to get into 3d pipelines (2d has been my thing for the most part).

Also also, dealing with some of the fallout of growing up in an abusive home (some of you may remember Wiggle's Crazy Mom posts from days of yore). The going there is tough, but getting slowly better. Contemplating divorcing my parents entirely. In any case, reading a lot and really questioning the way I frame myself/others in the world and trying not to keep reliving in abusive patterns.

if you're not prepared to be wrong, you'll never come up with anything original.

Tumblr
Youtube
ArtStation
Twitter
Jeanox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:16 AM   #7
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 

Good luck, Wigz!
Grieverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:19 PM   #8
Anyte
The Unsmiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanox
Also also, dealing with some of the fallout of growing up in an abusive home (some of you may remember Wiggle's Crazy Mom posts from days of yore). The going there is tough, but getting slowly better. Contemplating divorcing my parents entirely. In any case, reading a lot and really questioning the way I frame myself/others in the world and trying not to keep reliving in abusive patterns.
I don't recall reading about your experiences. I wasn't around or I don't remember.

I "divorced" my family about 10 years ago now. It was the best thing I ever did for myself. I am stable, healthy, and I have flourished - especially in the past 6 years.

I was far too much a mess when I originally came to PK (and other boards) and was an active member. I don't think I ever really shared what I've experienced in my life (before my daughter) and I certainly couldn't have framed the lasting effects of those experiences (I can now).

Love yourself and follow that path that allows you to nurture you (with or without your parents). Of course that is easy to say from this vantage point.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:28 PM   #9
Anyte
The Unsmiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by r@nd0m-lamb
Turkey upper thigh chopped into cubes. Cut up some champignon mushrooms as well (fresh are best), you may also add garlic and bacon (Chopped, I love chopped stuff) and throw this all onto a frying pan. The magic about turkey is that it takes a bit longer than chicken so you can start frying it along with the mushrooms which would otherwise need some more time.

I usually do this with rice. Parboiled with a bit of salt. After it is cooked, mix some sour cream into it. Then put that into a bowl together with the meat and mushrooms and mix those up as well.

This basic recipe can be improved by things. It is very simple and very tasty.
10 years ago or more I would have been all over it. Now I'm committed to eating farm fresh and organics as much as possible. I try to do as much local food as well; fresh and minimally processed. I'm off of bacon. It breaks my heart but it's too salty and isn't as kind to me as it once was. It's ok though. I still eat cheeseburgers, sloppy joe's, bean and cheese burritos, and cookies, amongst other things. Nope, nothing is made with tofu or other weirdish ingredients. I do like tofu for some things though, but never for pudding or as a meat patty.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:40 PM   #10
Jeanox
Hapless Ninny

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Epic Summer Contest '06 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Valentines Contest '06 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Team Battle '06 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Time Lapse Contest '09 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: New Year '07 
Total Awards: 6

Send a message via Skype™ to Jeanox

Yeah, I posted about it a lot. I needed to vent. This and KTFOT were the only places I felt safe to talk about what was happening. I recently crawled through the Wayback machine to see old posts and...well...wow. One of them, my mom broke a stick over my siblings' backs and threatened my bro with homelessness when he ran into the backyard (to get away from the stick). She even threatened to call the cops on him running to escape her. Reason? She wanted us to watch a show on the History channel that we happened to already be watching. :b It was all so matter of fact back then, but rereading that stuff, holy shit. I mean, that was one of the tame/happens all the time kind of episodes.

Anyway...everyone seems to have some shit on their plate of some kind. I haven't divorced my parents entirely, but I feel like I really want to. The expectation of going "home" for holidays, being expected to take care of the people who abused me as they get older....the fact they deny what they did and haven't changed at all...yeah. I want to move the **** out of here and start clean slate.

if you're not prepared to be wrong, you'll never come up with anything original.

Tumblr
Youtube
ArtStation
Twitter
Jeanox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:04 PM   #11
Alucard1515
BANNED? You tell me?

Awards Showcase
2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Video Game Sequential Contest '07 

Send a message via AIM to Alucard1515

I remember. I'm just glad that you realize what they were doing was ****** up now. What you talked about was bad enough, but the way you talked about it back then it was clear you saw it as normal, and that was pretty scary.

100 sketches in 100 days
Sketchbook
Alucard1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:44 AM   #12
Lamb
christmas squid

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Hunters Contest '12 Boss Battle Contest - 2nd place:  - Issue reason: Had that cute crit glyph 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: LEGO Illustration Contest '11 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 

We are quite the mopey board

Old 05-27-2014, 10:03 AM   #13
Anyte
The Unsmiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanox
I haven't divorced my parents entirely, but I feel like I really want to. The expectation of going "home" for holidays, being expected to take care of the people who abused me as they get older....the fact they deny what they did and haven't changed at all...yeah. I want to move the **** out of here and start clean slate.
There's a million and one things I could say but you must make your own decision. Know this, it never changes. Abusers are abusers. There is no change you can or will make in your life that will end it short of walking away. Any other changes only causes the abuser to shift how they deal out the abuse.

My sons are the only family I have now. I have no regrets, shame, or guilt. Blood does not make family nor necessitate familial obligation (at least not in my mind).

No. Walking away wasn't easy. It was difficult, horrifying, and depressing, but it was well beyond being worth it a million times over.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:40 AM   #14
RobotCat
Best combination ever

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 1 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 2 
Total Awards: 2

Working as usual. Going to try to do a cosplay for this year's Anime Expo. First time I've worn anything costume-esque since Junior High.

Also working on a YA novel.
RobotCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:50 PM   #15
Professor Az
TK-85650

Work, work, work. Then there's the work at home after work at work is over. Plus, some travel for work. I haven't picked up a pencil or pen to draw with in months.

Then again, it's better than the alternative, so.... win?
Old 05-29-2014, 05:29 PM   #16
Dharc
Terrestris Veritas

Send a message via MSN to Dharc Send a message via Skype™ to Dharc

I just graduated from college, so I can now focus all my energies into getting a better job and spending more of my time doing more than just mindlessly cramming for tests and the like. I'm focusing on improving my programming skills, since I didn't learn very much in school outside of what was required of me. Hopefully by the time I start applying to grad school I'll have a nicer skill set.

Other than that I'm just trying to get a hang of all this adult stuff. Renting a house is fun, but confronting your roommates when they're behind on rent and leaving messes isn't.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:29 PM   #17
afroXcore
Not here, not now.

Send a message via AIM to afroXcore Send a message via Skype™ to afroXcore

I took up photography when I went back to school. It's been a primary focus since, but I'm avoiding burning myself out, and I haven't picked up a pencil because of how busy I've been.

So I've been freer than I have been for the last 2 weeks because of finals and everything, but I'll be volunteering for darkroom work during the summer session. I really should be looking for a job to make ends meet while I'm at college. I've meet some wonderful people this year, but they all graduated today. I had to have a review of my portfolio to be considered for the BFA program here, but it went well.

In other news, I was playing in a band, it broke up, i joined a friend's band, then my first band tried again, it didn't work out.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:08 PM   #18
Anyte
The Unsmiling

Being a grown-up is fun. Win? or whine? I'm calling mine whine but it's ok, I'm still funny as heck in person even when I'm whining.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:29 PM   #19
Lamb
christmas squid

Awards Showcase

the saddest people are often the funniest :/

Old 05-31-2014, 12:22 AM   #20
djizomdjinn
night painter

Just graduated! Later a shiny piece of paper will arrive in the mail showing to everyone that I have worth in the world.

...yeah, no real idea what to do now.
djizomdjinn is offline   Reply With Quote