karbogasm

Cheers bros!
Old 04-01-2014, 04:12 PM   #23
X Chris
Untitled Document

Send a message via ICQ to X Chris Send a message via AIM to X Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz
It is smooth enough on iOS5 but 7 just killed performance completely. Running that many physics objects and explosions is pretty taxing on the phones.
I jumped on "smooth enough on iOS5", but not "is pretty taxing" until my freshly-rebooted (and reformatted) iPad 1 couldn't make it past the first loading screen (++reasons_to_upgrade; sigh...).

From what you've posted, the animations are great! You've really captured the best of hows 90s arcade animations worked. The camera shakes look fantastic.

MOAI looks interesting. If you don't mind getting more post-mortemy, I'm curious what specific pros/cons you experienced while working with it. How hard do you think it would be to compile for both iOS and Android?
Old 04-03-2014, 12:27 AM   #24
muzz
karbogasm

Crud! I just fond the largest bottleneck for the older phones... i'm pretty confident i should be able to get ip4 with ios7 up to 60fps. Requires a fair bit of coding to get it to happen though.

I'm going to borrow an iPad and make it universal for the next release. So hopefully i'll have that fixed soon.

I'll post a post mortem of moai when i get a bit more time .
Old 04-03-2014, 03:04 PM   #25
fshoo`
For sure.

Send a message via MSN to fshoo`

Sick! That's so cool man, congrats Love your style has been going too by the way.

fshoo` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:56 PM   #26
DN
I'm standing behind you.

Consider disabling a few of the taxing animations for earlier versions of the os. Or, you could make them options which a user can disable if things are a bit slow. Progressive enhancement (enabling stuff based on os version) is a good idea and I would imagine Lua has a way for you to check os version or device. I haven't messed with it too much. If you're doing it in Objective-C and wrapping the code up that way, you can do the checks there and setup some variables too.

If you like C#, you can check out Xamarin. https://xamarin.com/

I don't think there's a way to do Python to iOS directly (if that's your goal). There is Pythonista, but I don't think you can release games with it (maybe).

Lua is cool though. I've been wanting to check out Moai myself to play around. I'm pretty comfortable with plain objective-c though, so grabbing something like Cocos2d works for me.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:05 PM   #27
muzz
karbogasm

I worked out my bottle necks in the performance was making box2d objects at runtime. Killing that and doing object pooling at the start gave me my performance back.

but i'm making so little money on the game right now i can hardly afford to put the time in to getting the update out.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:24 PM   #28
afroXcore
Not here, not now.

Send a message via AIM to afroXcore Send a message via Skype™ to afroXcore

why not make an ad run game then?
Old 04-12-2014, 01:58 AM   #29
X Chris
Untitled Document

Send a message via ICQ to X Chris Send a message via AIM to X Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz
i can hardly afford to put the time in to getting the update out.
If I'm understanding this correctly: Compared to the time it already took you to profile and update the app, the real time sink will be in publishing the update?

That doesn't say much for working with the iTunes store. Is their submission process really complicated or something? Until now, I'd assumed it was just an upload and a few forms.

BTW, MOAI is looking more interesting all the time. The developers released 1.5 a few weeks ago, and now they have an online editor and player called MOAI fiddle. It works like JS Fiddle, so you can use it to share and run example code. Pretty neat.

I see what you mean about MOAI being bare bones. Bottlenecks aside, what do you think of its performance once it's compiled down to iOS?
Old 04-14-2014, 07:34 AM   #30
muzz
karbogasm

It's just a matter of i'm out of cash and i owe people money. Any time spent on things that don't help out my situation aren't wise.

I'm not going to completly abandon it, but as it stands it isn't a project that warrant my attention anymore. I'm trying to get out a playable fun build of the new project asap because i am planning on trying to generate buzz early... but again i can't afford that much time.

And yeah i do really like MOAI still, i'm using it for the next game.

Performance wise, for a scripting based game engine is great, i think you would be hard pushed to find something else better. But of course it pales in comparison to native code.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:42 PM   #31
Anyte
The Unsmiling

Looks great. I'm not equipped for app'ing but my son wishes I were. He wants the game.
Anyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:21 PM   #32
Professor Az
TK-85650

I don't own any iDevices, but I'm digging the animations, you bet. Best of luck with this, and if you ever do get it ported over to an Android system, give me a holler.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:36 PM   #33
DN
I'm standing behind you.

Anyone ever worked with Unity? I've always shied away from the big engines you have to pay for since I'm more of an open source kind of guy. I might be getting the opportunity to do a game soon with some people and they're talking about it.

Unity looks fun though so long as someone else is buying me the license for it.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:22 PM   #34
Dwee dee(3d)
x, y, z

I have. It's pretty fun to play with actually. In 3d, importing is easy, scripting is also easy (javascript, c#, boo) You can do some extremely tricky things with c# if you're up there. Also, you can just do everything from the interface. More game, less code, and tons of tutorials on youtube from a huge user base for all levels.

My .obj format 3d models for learning blender3d.
Dwee dee(3d) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:20 AM   #35
Lamb
christmas squid

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Hunters Contest '12 Boss Battle Contest - 2nd place:  - Issue reason: Had that cute crit glyph 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: LEGO Illustration Contest '11 
Total Awards: 4

Send a message via ICQ to Lamb

I downloaded Unity a while ago and it is amazing. Some say that it robs you of some of the freedom since stuff is locked and it works with plugins (of which there is a ton, however). But this may improve with the paid-for version that allows you to do much more stuff.

So go for it. It is a great choice.

http://chronoray.tumblr.com/
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:20 PM   #36
mandelak
Karbonite

Send a message via MSN to mandelak

This looks amazing. def purchasing it mate!!

Been working on a game myself with 4 mates it's been challenging but we are nearing the end of the road. can't wait lol
mandelak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:43 PM   #37
RobotCat
Best combination ever

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 1 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 2 
Total Awards: 2

Wow! Totally awesome. Do you have an android version coming? I don't have an iDevice =/
RobotCat is offline   Reply With Quote