Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > COMMUNITY > Member's Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2014, 04:56 PM   #1
muzz
karbogasm

Default First solo game released! “Kickball Champion of the World”

It's finally out!

So this is my first game that i have done by myself, It was a hell of a lot of work teaching myself to code. But i feel like it's something i can be proud of and hopefully it will help me get a footing as an indie developer that can do this full time!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/kick...8314?ls=1&mt=8

It's out on iOS right now, but i'll be porting to android when i get enough money from the iOS release to buy some android devices.

Note i don’t recommend getting the game if you only have an iPhone 4 with iOS7. It is smooth enough on iOS5 but 7 just killed performance completely. Running that many physics objects and explosions is pretty taxing on the phones. I’m going to try and sort this out when i get back to australia though.

I plan on adding a ton more animation and supporting this for as long as i get people playing it .

note: i held off on posting v1.0 as it had a screen dimming bug but the new version is currently being propagated through the store.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:00 AM   #2
ShimmeringSword
KarbideRanger

Do you have gameplay footage posted anywhere like youtube? Other than screen caps and the odd animation gif I have no idea how this plays. I don't have an iOS device nor do I play mobile games, but I'd hazard a guess that a better preview might help push sales.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:24 AM   #3
Lamb
christmas squid

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Hunters Contest '12 Boss Battle Contest - 2nd place:  - Issue reason: Had that cute crit glyph 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: LEGO Illustration Contest '11 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 
Total Awards: 4

Send a message via ICQ to Lamb

I don't own Ianything :/ any chance you'd share the sprite sheet for the character with me? I wouldn't use it, just look at it.

Feeling proud is appropriate with something like this. I'm proud of you myself, and I barely know you

//wanted to suggest that footage thing too. I'm curious.

http://chronoray.tumblr.com/
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:29 PM   #4
muzz
karbogasm

Random, just drag the gif into photoshop :P.

I have some footage i just need to edit. And yeah you guys are right. i'm going to make some gifs of some sweet sweet explosions in game :P.

Quote:
odd animation gif
always so passive aggressive shimmy!
Old 03-25-2014, 03:10 PM   #5
ShimmeringSword
KarbideRanger

Haha, odd as in uncommon/few/sparse, rather than weird.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:33 PM   #6
muzz
karbogasm

Old 03-25-2014, 05:11 PM   #7
Aarpie!
Karbonite

Send a message via Yahoo to Aarpie! Send a message via Skype™ to Aarpie!

This is really phenomenal! I've ventured into the game dev realm a couple times myself and never been able to finish. Looks great! Bravo!

Aarpie! Art website
Aarpie! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:09 AM   #8
Jeanox
Hapless Ninny

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Epic Summer Contest '06 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: New Year '07 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Time Lapse Contest '09 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Valentines Contest '06 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Team Battle '06 
Total Awards: 6

Send a message via Skype™ to Jeanox

cool! I like the animations you have so far. I've just been getting into animation so I'm still a derpy little nub at that.

The camera shakes are pretty great. I esp like how when you "lose" it's treated positively. Also, female character that isn't a blatant booty call and kicks some balls. Always a nice touch.

What did you code this in? I've been wanting to get into python then C++. I already know a bit of php (for web based stuff, but still, has some logics).

if you're not prepared to be wrong, you'll never come up with anything original.

Tumblr
Youtube
ArtStation
Twitter
Jeanox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:55 AM   #9
muzz
karbogasm

Thanks!

Yeah the female Character was based on 90's "girls" anime, so Card Captors and Sailor Moon, I'm super happy that girls universally seem to like it!

The camera shake is one part of the code i'm proud of. What i do for it is just have a constant loop that runs every frame, and the shake is just driven by a variable, so when i destroy the block the variable increases by one. the beauty of that is that when 30 blocks are destroyed at once, the shake is 30 times the strength.

I coded this in Lua, using MOAI which is an open source c++... platform i won't call it an engine as it is pretty bare bones. It's pretty powerful, but in hindsight not the best engine choice for someone who was a newbie like me.
I don't know much about python, but i have heard good things. But why python? I would have imagined that c# would have been a better choice for you?
Old 03-27-2014, 12:15 PM   #10
Jeanox
Hapless Ninny

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Epic Summer Contest '06 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: New Year '07 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Time Lapse Contest '09 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Valentines Contest '06 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Team Battle '06 

I have a LOT of coder friends who have opinions about which coding languages are more important/versatile. I've asked a lot of them where they think I should start given my background with PHP and many suggested python because it is relatively simple, but you're able to leverage a lot. It'd be a good way to get some logic under my belt.

...also I have an uncle who travels the world giving lectures on Python and another uncle who's pro at it as well. That has something to do with it too. XD

oh, ALSO, python can be used directly with Maya so there is a big fat perk there.

if you're not prepared to be wrong, you'll never come up with anything original.

Tumblr
Youtube
ArtStation
Twitter
Old 03-27-2014, 12:31 PM   #11
muzz
karbogasm

Good answer .
Old 03-27-2014, 01:22 PM   #12
Jeanox
Hapless Ninny

Awards Showcase

Let's turn this place into an indie gamedev forum, lol. I'm doing 2 indie games atm and all I hear about AAA work makes me want to ragequit the system entirely. So I just sit here. In my room. Doing indie things cause **** the system. My fav part of GDC last year was the IGF space. Sucks I couldn't go this year, apparently my game was displayed right across the aisle from them. Would have been great to observe people playtesting. :B

Tumblr
Youtube
ArtStation
Twitter
Old 03-27-2014, 01:27 PM   #13
muzz
karbogasm

I saw it there! i didn't play it though... because i didn't see you there!

I've been hanging out with the coolest people, i met phil fish, the people that made frog fractions, Rami from Vlambeer, and i was hanging with an ex maxis girl and two of the three man team that made plants vs zombies yesterday!

And haha, i'll keep posting my indie dev stuff here :P.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:33 PM   #14
Jeanox
Hapless Ninny

Awards Showcase

You suck so much, muzz! That was me a year ago. :B The afterparties are the best networking opportunities, imo. I was in a gay bar in my N7 jacket and the lead coder from Bioware Montreal gave me a renegade pin because he thought it suited me. I DIED. Hell, I got a few freelance jobs from chatting with the most awesome people there. Gods. The reason why I decided to not go this year is to save up for a pass to let me into more than just the cruddy expo floor (which has cool people and a shit TON of fake pr people from big companies).

Did you go to fisherman's wharf and nom on some clam chowder? Did you see any fights break out in the Tenderloin? Ahhh...memories.

Tumblr
Youtube
ArtStation
Twitter
Old 03-27-2014, 01:36 PM   #15
muzz
karbogasm

Haha nah i think GDC is big enough everyone has different experiences. I've been staying in Haight, and eating around here, staying with a friend. I'm still here till monday. Then the long ass flight home!
Old 03-27-2014, 02:14 PM   #16
Jeanox
Hapless Ninny

Awards Showcase

That's good to have a place to stay. I bunked in a small hotel room 3 blocks away (I slept under a table, if I recall). Fun times. Annnnyway, how is the exposure for your game fairing?

Tumblr
Youtube
ArtStation
Twitter
Old 03-27-2014, 03:29 PM   #17
muzz
karbogasm

Well i broke 100 sales last night >_< D:
Old 03-27-2014, 03:58 PM   #18
Jeanox
Hapless Ninny

Awards Showcase

Yay!

*is still young in the game dev scene and is used to not being compensated for large chunks for work; at least on personal projects*

Tumblr
Youtube
ArtStation
Twitter
Old 03-27-2014, 04:44 PM   #19
muzz
karbogasm

Haha... i'm used to making bosses rich and getting paid peanuts.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:19 PM   #20
afroXcore
Not here, not now.

Send a message via AIM to afroXcore Send a message via Skype™ to afroXcore

I helped!

I bought a copy as soon as i saw your post on facebook. I'm gonna have to learn all this programming business one day.