Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > COMMUNITY > Member's Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2014, 05:43 PM   #1
wolfnoom
Karbonite

Default About the community

The comunity here is great, i like this little place, people support each other and its nice but i must confess i would like some kind of activitie or something, i tried to search for a sketch friend posting on the exercise yard but no one appeared.

what im trying to say is that i would like to take something more from this community, spending more time here but i dont see how. what do you guys do outside polykarbon and what keep you here?

Last edited by wolfnoom : 01-29-2014 at 06:23 PM.
wolfnoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:51 AM   #2
RobotCat
Best combination ever

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 1 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 2 
Total Awards: 2

This place used to be a lot more active but people eventually started leaving. It's mostly veterans who drop by once in a while now.
RobotCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:34 AM   #3
Lamb
christmas squid

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Hunters Contest '12 Boss Battle Contest - 2nd place:  - Issue reason: Had that cute crit glyph 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: LEGO Illustration Contest '11 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 
Total Awards: 4

Send a message via ICQ to Lamb

I have no idea why they left though.

I started playing Insurgency today. It's a pretty nice game. Only 15 on Steam.

Other than that, I mostly just cry.

tbh. In the last few days, there were more new faces and active people than in a long time. Or is it just me?

http://chronoray.tumblr.com/
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:47 AM   #4
jeco
Industriously apathetic

Unfortunately, Pat doesn't really update polykarbon.com, which means there really isn't any traffic being generated to the website or forum, so there aren't many new or active members anymore. But hey, he's kept the forum this long regardless, so kudos to him anyway.

The community and few active members have always been cool, but to be honest, the thing that keeps me coming back is mostly my sketch exchange with Alucard. We've kept it going for almost 6 years and I just can't let it die. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfnoom
...i tried to search for a sketch friend posting on the exercise yard but no one appeared.
I could probably do a sketch exchange with you, but be forewarned, my participation is sporadic and I often disappear for long stretches at a time.

On a side note- has everybody changed their screen name since I was gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by r@nd0m-lamb

Other than that, I mostly just cry.
I spend my time being as enthusiastically lazy and listless as possible.

Sketchbook
jeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:51 PM   #5
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

I'm sure a lot of people lurk here. I generally do art on the weekends and do the odd doodle before bed or when i'm bored. I would be interested in getting better absolutely, hence why i do drawings during the weekend and kept a sketch book in the first place.

With work matters, my addiction to computer games and my current skills holds me back and this kills my enthusiasm to draw. Hell, the last few weeks all i seem to be doing is practice with refs rather then break free and draw something awesome with what i learn. Starting a drawing really is difficult for me especially when i usually flip flop on ideas and practice with no real clear idea as to what i want to draw.

But meh, practice makes perfect. If i want to get better i need to put the effort in Which i don't sadly and like most things in my life, disappointing.

"Life is one great journey. Shame about the destination"
johnway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:02 AM   #6
Anyte
The Unsmiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfnoom
what im trying to say is that i would like to take something more from this community, spending more time here but i dont see how. what do you guys do outside polykarbon and what keep you here?
I'm going to assume that I come off like an antagonistic ... something ... which is the way it usually goes if someone can't hear my voice and see my face. That said ....

There's always that feeling that everyone is wanting or waiting for everyone else to make everything happen. Sometimes it just takes one person to get things moving. One person starts and another follows, which causes another to follow.

Most of the original members are busy people. They may be in college or working full-time now. They may have a family and off-line friends.

Pat got married, had at least one child. He has a full-time job (at least last I read he did). I don't think it's that he doesn't care, but rather he has other things on his plate that are more important.

I don't draw that much anymore. Art was never a career option for me; art is too personal for me to create a vision to meet the expectations of someone else. Much of my drawing now is in reference to sketching details for crafts, sketching fashion and quilting designs, and helping my son advance his own artistic talents. I might as well throw in that I have no love of digital art. I can appreciate it, but I have no desire to utilize it. I love the feel of pencil, pen, and pastels moving across the paper. I love working with the texture of different papers. I like to use methods other than drawing to create art.

Though I log on fairly regularly, I don't often post. I don't often have the time to write anything of meaning. I'm ill equipped to advise anyone on using digital methods of creating art, though I do comment and critique when I feel I have something to offer. I love a challenge but I don't have the time or ambition to take part in art exchanges or the like. I like to post and be a part of things but ... I'm old and I babble and ramble and remember too late that I have something I'm supposed to be doing and fail to check my posts for errors.

It's past my lunch time and today is my birthday (nope it doesn't show on the doo-hicky) so I'm not going to check my post for errors and outrages.
Anyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:49 AM   #7
Rue
Karbonite

I'm hoping to contribute to this community as much a possible.
Rue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:54 PM   #8
Jeanox
Hapless Ninny

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Epic Summer Contest '06 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Valentines Contest '06 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Time Lapse Contest '09 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Team Battle '06 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: New Year '07 
Total Awards: 6

Send a message via Skype™ to Jeanox

Honestly, there are a number of things at work.

New people coming into the site has dramatically decreased. Bots hit this place like a plague and are far more numerous than actual participants.

The nature of internet networking has shifted in a fundamental way. People are on tumblr/facebook/twitter far more than forums. Places where the information and content comes to them and can be spread in dynamic ways. Forums are static. They are little lovely holes of community, but their very structure doesn't jive with busy schedules or the way people even think about the internet anymore.

It's not just that this place is suffering--all places are suffering from this. The communities which seem immune are the HUGE ones (conceptart.org cghubs and places like that), where frankly, if you post something the chances of you getting a response aren't that great. Huge communities give a lot of attention to the greats and not so much attention to those hoping to improve. There's a hell of a lot of ass kissing. </rant>

Attempts to spur participation here are often met with underwhelming results. Contests around here were pretty big, along with Fight Clubs. These types of draws have gained fewer and fewer responses.

Tutorials and sharing techniques was also a big reason this place was appealing. Basically since about the time youtube went up, the number of tutorials and resources (many of them professional and totally free) have skyrocketed. Additionally, this place in its hayday served the purpose (at least for me) of helping people be self taught and get pretty honest community feedback. There weren't nearly as many online "schools" or programs at colleges/tech schools to teach you these sorts of skills. In its hayday it was niche and had something really unique to deliver. We've kind of lost that edge a bit (though I totally think the community is potentially as good as it ever was to deliver what it once did).

Also life happens. The old get older. They grow up and decide to bike up mountains and make video games. Time is spent more on production than anything else. Distractions. :S

if you're not prepared to be wrong, you'll never come up with anything original.

Tumblr
Youtube
ArtStation
Twitter
Jeanox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:25 PM   #9
Dwee dee(3d)
x, y, z

What do we do outside the community?
Spoiler:

-I don't know about everyone, but I assume we just go though our lives as best we can. Some are in school, some work, some are filthy rich; who knows? However if you mean other forums or on the internet generally, I'd say, I go around programming sites, 3d sites, stackoverflow, google, news sites just to laugh at the insane comments, youtube. I could go on.

What keeps us here?
Spoiler:

Surprises. You never know what someone might post or who might show up. I've had less and less time to get things done, so I just lurk and gawk at the stuff others churn out. This is one of those places where people just show up to wow others instead of being tied to pop culture and tearing each other apart. It's productive and never a waste of time. Regardless of the number, I can't complain about the quality of what I find on pk. For me personally. I assume we're just here to be among other artists and share work or seek help, or just have fun. (key word: assume)

sidenote:
Spoiler:

Maybe there should be a pk wiki with tutorials and stuff.
@Jeanox: Yes, the internet has changed.

My .obj format 3d models for learning blender3d.
Dwee dee(3d) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:08 PM   #10
Alucard1515
BANNED? You tell me?

Awards Showcase
2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Video Game Sequential Contest '07 
Total Awards: 1

Send a message via AIM to Alucard1515

I've been coming here for nearly half my life (and I'm almost 32), so it's going to take a lot to make me leave at this point. I don't put nearly as much time into this place as I used to, though, for a lot of the reasons everyone else already mentioned.

Quote:
The community and few active members have always been cool, but to be honest, the thing that keeps me coming back is mostly my sketch exchange with Alucard. We've kept it going for almost 6 years and I just can't let it die. :P
Ha!

100 sketches in 100 days
Sketchbook
Alucard1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:59 AM   #11
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 
Total Awards: 1

I'm still here. I show up every day, and I try my hardest to draw every day, but we have a baby now, and she takes up most of our time. I need to post some pictures.
I understand where Wiggz is coming from, with the shift in networking for places like this. Also, this community, small as it is, is pretty tight, which I prefer over having thousands of members that don't really talk to each other.
I'm a member of Crimson Daggers, too, but because the community is so big, every time I would make a post, it would quickly get buried, and go by unnoticed. I assume it's the same for places like ConceptArt. Here, it may take a couple of days, but someone always replies, and it's someone I know.
I see the same people posting over and over, but I know who they are, and frankly, I prefer that. That's not to say I don't look forward to new people, it's just that I've always preferred a smaller, but tighter, community over a big one where it's mostly just noise.
Grieverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:07 PM   #12
Lamb
christmas squid

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Hunters Contest '12 Boss Battle Contest - 2nd place:  - Issue reason: Had that cute crit glyph 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: LEGO Illustration Contest '11 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grieverjoe
but we have a baby now,
I'm my own baby, so I understand how difficult it can be.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:53 PM   #13
afroXcore
Not here, not now.

Send a message via AIM to afroXcore Send a message via Skype™ to afroXcore

I kinda stopped coming here when it started getting slow. I come every once in a while, but I have nothing to post up. I barely contribute to the discussions. I hardly read them as is.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:19 AM   #14
DynastyX
rockin' bodies!

Quote:
It's mostly veterans who drop by once in a while now.
Aww yeah, baby! I remember stealing my dad's scanner for this forum when I was 14! I'm 25 now. Damn, has it been that long? Man I feel the nostalgia rushing just by thinking about it.

I still pop by to check on everyone, but I don't really do art that much anymore. I've moved on to comedy! I still should probably showcase my shitty art, for old times sake.

That Black Nerd
DynastyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:32 AM   #15
Threes
umop episdn

Send a message via AIM to Threes Send a message via MSN to Threes Send a message via Yahoo to Threes

yep, i started here long long ago, and im so old and married now you wouldnt believe...

i hardly do any art anymore, mostly just doodles when the inspiration hits, but im inundated with school work and work work and social life work that I just dont have the time or will to keep it up.

now I just do spitpaints on the facebook group once a month it seems, and i still talk to shimmering sword, prof az, and if deez (oh you're dynastyx on here, i forgot! HI DEEZ!)...... but everyone else, not so much.

such a veteran. battle scarred :P
Old 02-07-2014, 05:59 PM   #16
Meatloaf
Brett

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 1 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Movie Poster Contest '08 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Video Game Sequential Contest '07 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: LEGO Illustration Contest '11 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: New Year '07 
Total Awards: 5

Send a message via MSN to Meatloaf

I was in an art burnout after graduating school last year. Didn't draw for like 6 months while I was unemployed. Got a job, got married. Been getting back into it, and actually starting a series of portraits this weekend :o I do graphic design on the computer fulltime, so I have little to no desire for digital illustration anymore. I think it's a good thing actually, I forgot how magical traditional media can be. Working on a toned paper, putting in the highlights with a white chalk pencil and the whole drawing just pops <3 First time I've been excited for art in awhile.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:36 AM   #17
jeco
Industriously apathetic

So, am I the only one who finds it ironic that wolfnoom basically disappeared and hasn't been on the forum since starting this thread?

Sketchbook
jeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:59 AM   #18
bell

i sent him a PM telling him the truth about you lot, and he heeded the advice.
bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:36 PM   #19
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 Boss Battle Contest - Winner: 1st place - Issue reason: Beat the scariest boss into a pulp 1st Place:  - Issue reason: When Hell Freezes Over Contest '11 
Total Awards: 3

Send a message via Skype™ to astrapho

this thread gives me the sads :(
astrapho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:22 AM   #20
Lamb
christmas squid

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell
i sent him a PM telling him the truth about you lot, and he heeded the advice.
Either that, or I also sent him a PM with a photo of my cock saying *so? are you up for it?*

He's probably just shy.

Does it make you anymore sad Ast?