Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > COMMUNITY > Member's Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2014, 05:19 PM   #1
Maat22
Karbonite

Default Where is the Paper art?

So.... I never caught on to the whole illustrator computer art scene. Partially because im kinda inept when it comes to computers, mostly because i started drawing with a pencil and paper and im resistant to change.

I am venturing into color but still doing it on paper.

So my question is why does everyone seem to be using digital art?

PS Another question is how the hell can i post pics on a thread? I looked at the FAQ but didn't really understand. I tried to do it as an attachment but that did not work. the pics aren't huge but, they aren't small either. can Anybody spell it out for a noobie?
Old 07-17-2014, 12:02 PM   #2
X Chris
Untitled Document

Send a message via ICQ to X Chris Send a message via AIM to X Chris

Traditional (physical) art is posted here from time to time. For instance, fshoo` will paint | on | anything, and I occasionally drag smudgy pencils across thin strips of paper.

I think you see a lot more digital art around because it's quicker and cleaner for most people to make and post online. I sketch offline quite a bit, but I will never bother to scan/photograph+clean+upload a fraction of it.

Also: digital painting has an "undo" command.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:00 PM   #3
srilyk

Send a message via ICQ to srilyk Send a message via AIM to srilyk Send a message via MSN to srilyk Send a message via Yahoo to srilyk

Work flow. I can draw on my tablet, and only about 15 clicks have posted my exact image. On the other hand for paper I have to scan or take a picture which is only an approximation. It's more effort.

For some people they value either the physical art they create more, or those they're producing it for do. I'm guessing most of us do some kind of physical art, bit we just don't care enough to post it. So you see more digital art, unless you wanna be that creeper who looks in folks windows at night

Sketch Exchanges:
Now with more <InnerShadow>
Over 9000! - with <ssjmvegita>

You want eyes? Get them here!
srilyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 01:33 PM   #4
Professor Az
TK-85650

srilyk - That was you?

Some of us draw on paper, scan the lineart into the computer, then work on touching up the lineart or making pretty colors in digital format.

Not very often for me mind you, but it can be done.

As for posting up your art, can you please be more specific? What part of the FAQ is giving you problems? Maybe we can help.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:56 PM   #5
Espresso
best served delicious

The undo button needs a bug-report filed for working with real paper. That's why I tend to use digital art programs.

If you like the idea of working on paper and finishing up digitally, there are LOTs of great tutorials and techniques for that. Here is a decent one by one of the krita developers which will walk you through a couple of free (open source) digital art tools: tutorial-pencil-to-digital-painting.

Or just take a photo of it and post it here!

If it is already online: [IMG ]http://www.Maat22.com/no_space_before_that_second_square_bracket.png[/IMG]
search online for image hosting sites if you need. deviantart.com , imgur.com , etc are some I can think of there is a bucket-something one too.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:30 AM   #6
Lamb
christmas squid

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Hunters Contest '12 Boss Battle Contest - 2nd place:  - Issue reason: Had that cute crit glyph 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: LEGO Illustration Contest '11 
Total Awards: 4

Send a message via ICQ to Lamb

Traditional media is also awfully messy. I draw with a pencil when doing studies, or when i am on top of a hill or something. I posted up a response for your image posting problem in the introduction thread. Did it not help?

http://chronoray.tumblr.com/

Last edited by Lamb : 07-19-2014 at 10:30 AM.
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:50 AM   #7
Meatloaf
Brett

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 1 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Movie Poster Contest '08 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: New Year '07 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: LEGO Illustration Contest '11 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Video Game Sequential Contest '07 
Total Awards: 5

Send a message via MSN to Meatloaf

I value both equally. After doing a lot of digital art in the past years, I'm leaning back toward paper. For me, the pros of digital art are the flexibility and the application in my job as a graphic designer. I can draw/paint in a ton of different styles with the use of digital. I also think being able to illustrate well has helped me in graphic design and allowed me to do some interesting work because of it.

Although, more often I find digital art to be disconnected and sterile. Not in the finished product really, but in the process. I like getting messy some times. I like being able to feel the pencil and paper. I like not staring at a screen all day. It's more exciting for me.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:43 AM   #8
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 
Total Awards: 1

As others have said, I too work traditionally, but prefer digital because it's faster and cleaner. Plus, lately I've been trying to focus more on values and color, rather than line, and I think digital accomplishes that beautifully, since I have an unlimited number of supplies.
I have a small sketchbook that I take with me when I go to work in the morning, and I doodle and sketch when I get a chance, but since the spine is so stiff, it's pretty difficult for me to scan it, so I have to resort to photographing it (you can see my attempt here).
As for posting pictures, if you use Firefox, you can do a right click on the image, then select "Copy image location". You can then post the link directly, or if you want to embed it, you put it between tags.
Like so:
http://th07.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/...oe-d7n4kgz.jpg

or

[img]*http://th07.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2014/170/3/9/monkquat_by_grieverjoe-d7n4kgz.jpg*[/img]
You would remove the *
Grieverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:17 PM   #9
Dwee dee(3d)
x, y, z

Default How to post pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maat22
Spoiler:
It's easier to change things and undo mistakes. Easier to experiment without worrying about cleaning up. Not everyone does it, but there are advantages and disadvantages.
Quote:
PS Another question is how the hell can i post pics on a thread? I looked at the FAQ but didn't really understand. I tried to do it as an attachment but that did not work. the pics aren't huge but, they aren't small either. can Anybody spell it out for a noobie?
Spoiler:
Step 1: get a place to host your images. (go to imageshack or photobucket and make an account. Post your images there and copy the link you get. Paste that link in your post (either by clicking the image icon on advance post edit and entering it there or by using bb code. You want to just use the image icon. that's it.

My .obj format 3d models for learning blender3d.
Dwee dee(3d) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:11 AM   #10
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

I'm switching to digital art over traditional mediums for several (flawed) reasons:

1. I don't have a scanner and its easier to just draw it on my pc and upload it. I do have one at work and i have to run the gauntlet of using it for non work related stuff.

2. Imaginefx has shown that Digital art is every bit as traditional mediums...

3... Its cheaper for me to practice on digitally. No need to buy paint, no need to buy a canvas and with the undo button helps me with mistakes. Make a mistake in traditional methods and it can get expensive.

Ok, most of the way you paint digitally uses traditional methods, i still practice using scrap paper and pencils, but since i want to do well on a tablet i need to practice with it.

"Life is one great journey. Shame about the destination"
johnway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:40 AM   #11
Anyte
The Unsmiling

Quote:
I can't answer the "why", but I assure you that not everyone has gone digital. I am still strictly a paper artist but I am often busy with other projects and I rarely use paper smaller than 14x17". I am good at photographing flowers, trees, and birds, but not pieces of paper that I have scribbled on.
Anyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:34 PM   #12
muzz
karbogasm

Having to scan work and then process it isn't practical when making a game.

However i want to get a full traditional animation setup going so there is that.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:46 PM   #13
Maat22
Karbonite

yeah guys i hear you! i can definitely see how digital art has some serous advantages of traditional stuff especially in the work place and online.

as for my questions about posting they have been cleared up and yes lamb that post in the intro thread helped. I now understand. Professor Az: It was not that the faq was complicated per se, its just that i didn't really try hard enough to get it figured out.

Thanks to everyone who posted I appreciate it!
Old 07-25-2014, 07:45 PM   #14
muzz
karbogasm

Also welcome to the forums!