Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > GALLERY > Sketchbooks
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2017, 05:58 AM   #661
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Time for more weekend work. having come back from my business trip in poland, the first i wanted to do in my mind was do another character sketch. But i resisted those urges and went back to doing landscapes as i still have a few on my desktop. i limited myself to only a couple of hours as opposed to the days i invest in drawing something.

This was Valbergsveien 866-868, 8370 Leknes, Norway

"Life is one great journey. Shame about the destination"
johnway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 02:14 AM   #662
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

a bit of weekend work. Its incomplete. Wasn't feeling it (especially since i was working from 7.30am to 10pm on friday) and was itching to do more painting figures.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:14 PM   #663
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 
Total Awards: 1

You're making some awesome progress here, my dude.
One suggestion would be to make the shadows on the left have more of a blue tint to it, since they'd be reflecting light from the sky.
Grieverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 02:00 PM   #664
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

More weekend work. I was feeling excited to do another figure pic and i thought things were going ok with a low perspective approach. but after spending a day rendering it, i'm not entirely sure whether i want to continue with this.

i might just continue just to complete it and for sake of practice, but i don't feel anything for this pic and i haven;t sorted out the lighting/color/backgound yet.

i had thought to perhaps be a promotional poster for the imperial army in valkyria chronicles or perhaps an image of of a special forces unit in the game, but meh, guess i wasn't trying hard enough. Its probably why i don't make fan art at all. Its surprisingly difficult.

Old 07-16-2017, 06:28 AM   #665
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

more weekend work. I'm continuing with the picture from yesterday. to hell with canon, i'm doing my own thing now.

Its still incomplete, i haven't got all the details down for the armor (its going to be ornate and/or damaged with scratches and pock marked with bullet holes and such).

Lighting not done as i intend to do it all in one go using lasso/cell shading methods. Will probably stay black and white but its going to be a tough road ahead methinks.

Old 07-22-2017, 05:28 AM   #666
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Weekend work and we finish the picture i was working on last week. Since i'm pressed for time (i need to pack my bags for my business trip to poland again) i didn't have time to change things extensively.

If i had more time, i would have expanded the canvas to get more of the battlefield/carnage/figures and such plus get composition to work out slightly better. This is probably where thumbnails come in handy but i just can't work small scale. In most cases my stuff is sort of spontaneous as opposed to planned.

i had hoped not go so comic book sketch like, i should have done more on the damage than leaving it basic scratches and pockmarked. But meh, it works and it conveys the idea well enough.

Old 07-29-2017, 07:04 AM   #667
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

weekend work. I'm back from poland and didn't feel like doing much. Before i left for poland, i was practicing a technique to draw tree leaves. I turned to a few pros and with a bit of thought came up with a plan.

When i came back i wanted to practice it some more so that i would remember. i drew some shapes and began work. its certainly an improvement and an encouraging result. Perhaps the blobby look isn't going to cut it.

i broke the whole thing down into circular bits applying big, medium and small bits in a random way (sortof) shaded each section and than applied more paint here and there to finish it off.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:07 AM   #668
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Ok nothing special. I saw another quick weekly compo concerning Robots and/or Summer. Since i was running short of time, i cooked something up very quickly.

Old 08-06-2017, 01:47 AM   #669
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

i did some weekend work for another challenge angel + construction but after fighting this idea for a day, i'm calling it quits. the picture isn't up to scratch and well below standards i can tolerate anymore. So its unfinished and calling it quits.

next week, i'm off to Poland again so i'm spending my day packing and flying off sunday afternoon don't expect any uploads sadly. hopefully a few days away will allow me to redouble me efforts.

Old 08-19-2017, 08:05 AM   #670
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Weekend work and coming back from poland business trip i didn't have much time to spare doing picture work. Regardless, i made time and took part in the weekly challenge with the words Fighting and Horror.

below was what i cooked up below. I was watching a few of marco bucci's videos on improving drawing. i simplified the areas (anders sorn style) and tried to work contrast, direction, focal point to get the message across. I like to think that i captured the point of a man shooting a monster in the face well enough.

Old 08-26-2017, 07:27 AM   #671
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

More weekend work. Since i'm on A/l i could get stuck in with a bigger picture, but first, some weekend exercise for a discord weekly challenge. this time it was western+romance.

easy enough. I went for the classic cowboy falling in love with a woman. I decided to enhance the idea/story by making the female a native indian as it kinda made the story/message stronger.

normally, stuff like this takes days for me and this took around 3/4 hours. Sure, i could done more bells and whistles polish the areas and such, but i'll do that with my main picture this week. For the colors i color picked from a photo. yeah, i cheated.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:58 AM   #672
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Warning mega post!

Since i'm on A/l i've been doing a bigger piece. unfortuantely, things aren't going quite to plan. mostly because of how indecisive i can get when it comes to pictures. When you paint for yourself, you want to paint everything.

I did have an idea in my head, but unfortunately it kept changing namely i like an idea and work around it. I did do thumbnails but most of them were too vague and i never get an idea that works from them.

in the end i did get something down.

Spoiler:

I cleaned up the figure lines, but problems really begin when i want to settle on a background. At first it was going to be a simple portrait picture with the girl sitting indoors and there would be only a few items around. A convenient excuse to not put so much effort in a background and also work in some contrast that would help composition (the figure would have been the most colorful thing in the room)

But than my brain begins working. How about a coffee shop by a street corner? Couldn't capture the image right so i might have to increase canvas size to get all the elements i wanted, like pedestrians, the other tables, the shop front etc. But beign a cop out i couldn't get it to work. The more i increased the canvas the more that the message might get lost.

how about a garden? She was going to wear purple and sitting around in the green it might work to get a focal point. I wanted to add some depth to the picture so i thought it was a garden with ruins and a review. A treee would provide shade that would redirect attention to the female.

But neither idea is working! i'm havign a horrible feeling that i might have to bin this or refocus on just having a figure dominating the picture. bah, this sucks.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Now the more i think about it the more i want to draw a grand background. Like a balcony overlooking a city/valley during the late afternoon with dusk slowly creeping in. only problem is exceuting it and its proving a nightmare. Ambition outstripping skill it would seem.

Old 09-03-2017, 07:43 AM   #673
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

I had hoped that i would get more of my current project finished by now, but i've been pretty busy during my time off dealing with a lot of stress atm.

Anyway, after several days of sulking as to why everything was going wrong and spending time playing games, i got a flash of inspiration to study some expert painters for composition on friday. In my case, it was Alponese mucha and it appears to have worked.

Below is a work in progress after studying the great man himself. Its not completely set in stone, but i have a rough idea what i want to do and also i can crack on with the figure (so more variety and options).

i think i'm doing alright. the flow is looking good but i can add more. Part of the problem with mucha's work is that he uses a lot of women with long hair, robes and/or outlandish props. I don't have the luxary of any of that, so i'm resorting to the background, patterns and accessories.

Old 09-09-2017, 07:09 AM   #674
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

More weekend work and we're just working on the background of my current pic. The background is coming together nicely, so hopefully i can move on with the figure now.

The background isn't perfect, but i'm learning about alponese mucha, composition and general rendering practice. I had hoped the background would sit better for the pic but alas i might have lost that battle.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:09 PM   #675
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 
Total Awards: 1

I'm a huge fan of Mucha's work, so it makes me happy to see you give the man some love.
Although I'm liking where this is headed, I'd say to use sharper color transitions, since he seldom used soft gradients.
Also, the perspective on the cup could use some work: it looks a bit like it's tilting towards us
Grieverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 11:59 PM   #676
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

there was an update on sunday but i haen't had time to upload it recently. After some time away from the picture the gold trim was a bit too much. It did my eyes in, so i decided to delete it and do something slightly less garish. i've started on painting the figure as that sorely needed attention. yes the cup indeed is wrong, the lip of the cup should be much higher but i can work on that during the over painting.

Old 09-15-2017, 03:19 PM   #677
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

i had hoped to do some work on saturday before i flew out from Poland but disaster strikes: my flight has been cancelled. So now i'm flying out saturday morning (hopefully. the taxi i booked will arrive at 10am in the morning) rather than sunday afternoon.

So i'll leave my last update here.

Note how i've ditched the garish gold emblem thing. I've changed it to something more toned down and felt a minimist look is more effective. lets face it, i'm not going to be make an alponese mucha masterpiece so lets work with what we can do.

I've made some work on the skin, but theres still room for more work. i think the nose could be reshaped. i had hoped to address the huge eyes and the psychotic grin (i've already redone it twice now). I'll get refs and go from there.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:10 AM   #678
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Now that i'm back from my trip i was itching to get stuck into some painting.

The good news is that there's light at the end of the tunnel, its almost complete and the main areas i really wanted to address was the face and skirt are done and just needs the lights sorted. I made a change to the dress, i didn't think showing the open cleavage added anything and frankly it wasn't working. So i opted to simplfiy and just make it a proper shirt with a ribbon.

the skirt did have another pattern but i felt that it looked muddy as opposed to a pattern and i didn't like it. Anyway, enough for this weekend. Next week i'll sort out the hands, hat and finishing touches.

Old 10-01-2017, 10:55 AM   #679
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Ok weekend work this time we put the finishing touches for the picture i've been working on for over a month. Most of it was because i was away in poland so we lost several days and hence delayed for several weeks. Plus i spent so much time second guessing myself.

I changed the hand as it was too much work and i wasn't getting anywhere with the complex pose so i opted simple hand positions.

For lighting, i chose a dynamic lighting scheme so One large Softlight and a small hardlight from another direction. I will need to study other artists to speed up my processes, i used nearly 50+ layers redoing areas or making minor tweaks and shading.

Old 10-01-2017, 11:03 AM   #680
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Hmm... a thought has occured, would a darker background look better to help it pop out? Hmmm...