Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > GALLERY > Sketchbooks
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2017, 07:24 AM   #601
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

more weekend work and we've made very little progress today. I was stuck trying to sort of the hair for the picture. I was a bit stuck as to which one i liked more.

We saw the original (see above) but i wanted to refine it before i attempted anything.

Pig tails - makes her too young maybe?

More traditional authentic victorian hairstyle a bit boring maybe?

hairstyle 3. Its nice, but too modern? Does it work?

i'll sit on it and maybe think of the color scheme for the figure as well. Thoughts welcome of course. How do i make the right choice? In an ideal world, if she was a main character in a comic, i could argue that she enjoyed different hairstyles and due to an incident later on in the story, she switches to shorter more mature styles.

I suppose it boils down to:

A: Asthetics/ what works (they all work in this case).
b: the type of character/attitude (Not sure. Snooty maybe?)
c: challenge factor (i could probably paint them all...)
d: type of world (steampunk).

"Life is one great journey. Shame about the destination"
johnway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 05:53 PM   #602
Dwee dee(3d)
x, y, z

The trick to this is dropping hints.
-Whatever actual style you decide on, use the lines sort of like how you'd use words to describe a character on paper. For example: If the character is "claustrophobic" add as much of that element to how the character is drawn or how you frame the character in the scenes.
I.E: the flash is drawn in a way that conveys he's fast, poison ivy in a way that she's elegant and dangerous ect.. if you look around, a lot of iconic characters have this about them -look at sonic or mario. No matter the style, just focus on "how" it's drawn more than "what" is drawn.

lol -sorry, I don't have any short answers for this. -below is some fanart for ya.

Spoiler:
Old 02-26-2017, 08:49 PM   #603
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 
Total Awards: 1

To touch on what Dee said, a lot of it is gonna be part of who the character is. If she's the snooty type, then you probably want to go with the second one, as it gives more of an uptight/aristocratic feel to it. Boring, but it gets the point across about who the character is.
Grieverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:04 PM   #604
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Many thanks guys. Plenty of food for thought. Oh and thank you for the 3d figure Dwee dee(3d). Always nice to see fan art.

I think i've probably jumped a few steps on design. Its at this point i would play around with the character design further before moving onto the next step of character or producing the cinematic money making image. Still, part of the problem is that i never have any idea what i do until i do it. hell, what started off as drawing a line and spirals quickly turned into a figure and than a female figure and it sort of snow balled from there.

i was musing again about the corset. I seem to draw a lot of corset characters and only in the last hour or so the corset is looking strangely similar to my swordgal pic that i did last year-

Damn it. Why do i keep going back to her? Is she like my muse or is it something in me that keeps going back to her because i felt that it was the turning point during my digital art actually moved forward? I'll never know.

Note to self: More corsets. More expensive, excellent corset designs. Maybe move away from corsets.

Old 02-27-2017, 05:50 PM   #605
Dwee dee(3d)
x, y, z

could be both. Sometimes revisiting an epiphany's not a bad idea.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:31 PM   #606
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

I felt like doing a bit more on the image from the weekend. I had been thinking about adding a parasol for the picture but her arm doesn't look right and i can't quite figure out how to solve it. Suggestions?

Oh god. Its happening again... first i flesh out the ideas - daring to pushing the bounderies. Than i ruin the composition, Than the idea changes and i'm sunk. its the queen of hearts pic all over again... In fact its happening NOW. We've lost a part of the ribbon around her waist and doesn't read so well now.

I do have a back up plan however, ditch the arm and keep the pose neutral. you can probably see it in the pic... I'll sleep on it and decide tomorrow.

Last edited by johnway : 03-02-2017 at 03:52 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:16 PM   #607
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 1st Place:  - Issue reason: When Hell Freezes Over Contest '11 Boss Battle Contest - Winner: 1st place - Issue reason: Beat the scariest boss into a pulp 
Total Awards: 3

Send a message via Skype™ to astrapho

Hmm I think the main problem why the design isn't unifying is because you're not very clear about what qualities of hers you're trying to emphasize with her clothes. It's very important to think about the fit of a piece of clothing and what quality of hers it enhances. For example, do you want her to look tall? Slim? Broad? Voluptuous or slight? Your design right now is very all over the place when it comes to that because you have lots of things that are ill fitting and it makes her look less elegant than her character would suggest.

I've made a quick lineover with some examples on how clothes were used to emphasize certain qualities, I didn't follow your design strictly to show my point. I'm not saying it's the solution but it's an example for you to see how fashion works to emphasize certain features, a little . you really need to keep this in mind while you're designing.
Spoiler:

This is a book about the victorian style of fashion and important things they considered when designing their clothes. I think it's super useful. Good luck!
astrapho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 04:05 PM   #608
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Hi Astrapho many thanks for link! i did have a look at the corset area and quickly retweaked it a bit, generally my lines are messy and i treat lineart more like rough guidelines whilst the actually overpainting is the refinement processes. I guess its a bit of a waste of time if i do it this way, but on the other hand its the only time i can my art juices flowing.

I didn't do much today as i was thinking of color schemes and getting an idea what i will be doing for the background and more importantly the figure. The plan was to use purple - a regal color and i was quite proud of it until i realised it looked surprisingly similar to Anna from frozen's and frankly i had to drop it like a rock after that:

Going back a bit, i thought about costume design and color psychology and Red is the next color - its a regal color filled with passion, ambition and rage. But i'm so sick of using red these days, it feels cliched and a bit boring. But makes a great contrast to the colder background. But than again, so does purple.

So ok, lets step back a bit further, lets use history: victorian color schemes or something. Came up with the one below, but its not great and i'm starting to clutch at straws.

Than i dialed it back again played with muted purples again.

So... nearly 3 hours wasted doing very little. Oh dear. It was around 2pm now and i needed a break, had hoped brutal doom would clear my mind and give me some inspiration or something.

More tomorrow. i had plans for patterned dresses to make things not so boring or obvious, but i'll sleep on it again and see what i can come up with.

Old 03-06-2017, 11:27 AM   #609
djizomdjinn
night painter

Well... even boring and obvious simple dresses can be rendered very beautifully. I think your color schemes are a bit overly complex, probably because you feel you need the complexity to compensate for rendering capability?

But I think that interesting lighting / posing will do far more for you than extra frills or patterns on her dress. If you're stuck on color, why not try making the values interesting first?

Also re: color schemes. I find it's a lot easier and faster to make interesting color strips, and then draw it in a simple flat doll. If it doesn't work, you'll know it then, if it does work, then you'll have something that might work.

djizomdjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:32 AM   #610
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Apologies for yesterday. I was working on the picture but i appear to have hit a rut.

In attempts to better myself and improve, i decided to look at various styles and i opted to try one of my fav artists: genzoman's . I spent nearly the entire day working on the picture and has proven nothing short of a nightmare.

The new method just doesn't work for me and the girls features have changed for the worse. After some thinking, i'm going to start again. Sod new methods, i'm going with what works for me and see what happens.

But just before i scrap the whole thing and admit that yesterdays 5 hours was a complete waste of time, here is how it looks. Its obviously incomplete, but its time to cut my losses and redouble my efforts next weekend.

Old 03-07-2017, 10:28 AM   #611
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djizomdjinn
Well... even boring and obvious simple dresses can be rendered very beautifully. I think your color schemes are a bit overly complex, probably because you feel you need the complexity to compensate for rendering capability?

But I think that interesting lighting / posing will do far more for you than extra frills or patterns on her dress. If you're stuck on color, why not try making the values interesting first?

Also re: color schemes. I find it's a lot easier and faster to make interesting color strips, and then draw it in a simple flat doll. If it doesn't work, you'll know it then, if it does work, then you'll have something that might work.

Hi djizomdjinn, i pretty much did you said on sunday, where i was sorting out the values and such but it went horribly wrong. part of the problem is lighting the figure using natural outdoor light where although direct sun light is obvious enough, the other stuff is much harder to implement. i might try to fall back on a few other methods and see where it gets me. hell, if it gets too much i'll just walk away from it.

i would do more complex poses if i knew what the hell i was drawing on the day. but i'm just bankrupt when it comes to the idea department these days and i simply just get stuck in, even if the pose is basic. Its more to get started and build up momentium after the basic drawing exercises.

Old 03-11-2017, 10:46 AM   #612
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Weekend work. After throwing out the previous attempts, i took the rest of the week to reflect and come up with a battleplan. I'm usually comfortable painting the face as i have a lot of practice, info and theory on it, so i do that. i haven't quite finished yet, the nose needs a adjusting and the chest area needs to be corrected. But its looking better. Hopefully tomorrow i'll finish the skin and hair.

One of the things that concern me is that it doesn't pop out and feels slightly too flat. Perhaps i haven;t added the highlights or i'm not using a wide enough contract of colors or something.

Old 03-11-2017, 11:13 PM   #613
djizomdjinn
night painter

Face looks good. In terms of popping... there's not that much depth to the composition. Perhaps if you changed the angle of the umbrella so that it draws the eye along the shaft, along the z-axis more? Also I think harder cast shadows and a harder light source would help too.
djizomdjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 07:54 AM   #614
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

More work from yesterday. the skin is pretty much finished. Excluding hard rim lights and maybe some shadows. I was hoping to boost the ambient light/ reflected light but i'll work about that one i get the rest of the figure is done. the head looks more solid after adding the make up and blush that brings her green eyes out. hair is pretty much done. My only concern is perhaps because of the smile lines she looks older than i hoped?

I might make a few attempts at background. At moment i'm planning to make as many layers in the background to add depth. So expect mountains, buildings, water and such.

but is there enough room? hmm... When it comes to portraits i've never been great with backgrounds. I might look at other artists to see how they do it and go from there. Dropdeadcoheed's work is looking especially tasty...

Old 03-19-2017, 08:27 AM   #615
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

More work on picture. With 2 weeks of annual leave i had hoped i would have finished it by now and started a new project. But i'm determined to see this one through out of sheer stubbornness.

the picture is changing and the original idea concept has gone straight to hell. If this was contract work i suspect the person commissioning it would be throttling the life out of me demanding why i didn't follow the brief and no money would exchange hands. Especially how long it has taken to get to this stage, i think they would have had a point.

Anyway, i digress. i checked up some refs and had to tighten my ideas. if i could see the flaws, everyone else could. i think its changed for the better, the corset, and under dress is looking good. But we're still early days. i need to work on the bottom of the dress next and get the creases right before i add the details.

Edit: i also corrected the nose. Less straight greek like, more angled and realistic.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:52 PM   #616
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 
Total Awards: 1

I like where this is going, but watch for the eyes. The current smile seems really forced. A more genuine smile should touch the eyes and make them squint somewhat.
Unless you're going for a forced smile, in which case, you got it.
Really liking the backlighting you did on the hair, there, though I would recommend relying less on individual hair strands, especially when tied in a neat hairstyle like that.
Grieverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:51 AM   #617
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Hi Grieverjoe yeah the plan was to be a sort of fake smile. i intentionally did it to make her look more mischievous in nature. hence the slightly cheesy grin. I wonder if i can improve on it. My only worry is just how much work i put into the face. Its like making a change to a cake once the elaborate icing is all in place...

I was going to go back to the hair area near the end once the figure was complete. One thing i haven't done for the figure is the rim lighting yet. The lower half of the hair might be too expansive and i might reign it in. Her ear is also missing and it could do with a pair of earrings.

today's updates is that i've pretty much done the skirt now. I might add a few more details later on ( for me the best part of any drawing is adding the bells and whistles). i also did some work on the umbrella and its a bit iffy. i'll do more work on it later but i'm not looking forward to it. Part of me wants an open umbrella, the other half wants me to scrap it and have a closed umbrella as well.

the spare arm needs work. It will certainly benefit the picture to add a further level of dimension. The question is what. but thats for tomorrow. i'm going to go play brutal doom.

Old 03-22-2017, 12:26 PM   #618
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

More work on the picture. i finished the hand holding the umbrella but i also started to tackle the spare arm. i felt an opportunity here to take things to the next level and make something really good. i had a think and i felt that perhaps reaching out with an open palm would be nice.

But what if we made it that she was giving an invitation or something? has the idea ruined the picture? have i lost too much detail from the lower skirt that it looks rubbish? I'm going to sleep on it for today and decide next time. Of course your thoughts are welcome on the matter if you can think of a better idea to improve it or give the arm something else to do.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:12 PM   #619
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

More work on this one picture (sigh) today, i spent hours battling on designing the spare hand. i pretty much snapped near the end as i gave up and simply finished the original pose.

but i wasn't satisfied. After tea today i managed to cook up (Another!) foreshotening pose and i think i've nailed it. it solves most of my concerns and the pose is almost correct.

The hand was done over a space of an hour. What.the.bloody.hell. i spent nearly 3 to 4 hours fruitlessly attempting to get something to work and i get the answer just now.

Still open to opinions. is the hand ok? Does it need to be slightly larger etc? i'll sleep on it for now and see tomorrow. i might tweak it again and see where it gets me. If needed, i can always go back to the original pose that i have as a sort of backup.

Old 03-23-2017, 03:36 PM   #620
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 1st Place:  - Issue reason: When Hell Freezes Over Contest '11 Boss Battle Contest - Winner: 1st place - Issue reason: Beat the scariest boss into a pulp 
Total Awards: 3

Send a message via Skype™ to astrapho

I like the rendering on the cloth on her chest The material's believable. I like the small detail on the lace you added as well.

I think the hand works, but you can think about how to hint whatever she's inviting you to with the background, because that's what's interesting about it. The blue in the background is actually fighting a lot with the character, I think it can be fixed if you turn it towards cyan and desaturate it a little. Besides that, I think the face needs the shading to be just a touch darker so the form reads better. Maybe research on victorian umbrella designs so it doesn't look out of era. It's coming along nicely, keep going
astrapho is offline   Reply With Quote