Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > GALLERY > Sketchbooks
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2016, 09:10 AM   #1
JAMF
JAMF JAMF JAMF JAMF JAMF

Default JAMF's Book 2.0

Hi everybody!

Let me start by stating I'm aware I already have a sketchbook but, since it was uploaded and updated many moons ago, all but two of the pictures are dead links. (If any mods would kindly like to delete the old thread that would be most appreciated! It can be found at

http://www.polykarbonbbs.com/showthread.php?t=26758 )

I'd also like to treat this new sketchbook as a clean slate upon which to base my progress. My last thread definitely saw an improvement across my drawing but it's time to get to the next level. and it starts here!

And so, after maybe a year or two of not picking up the pencil, I have returned! I'd say I've pretty much picked up where I left off really, using negative space to avoid "symbol drawing" but never really sticking with one sketch long enough to call it complete. Speaking honestly, it's mainly because I often draw something, say, a figure or something using negative space and relationships between points and think to myself "hey, this is actually turning out pretty well!" but then I stop for fear of spoiling what I've done so far. So I move on to the next sketch until I reach the point where more work would spoil it and the cycle continues.

[EDIT] There were a couple of pencil sketches here, but I don't think they were really necessary so I've deleted them. My old thread was made up primarily of pencil sketches and I'd like to fill this one with plenty of complete or semi complete art.

Last edited by JAMF : 06-06-2016 at 07:51 AM.
JAMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:07 AM   #2
JAMF
JAMF JAMF JAMF JAMF JAMF

Here's something I started but never really got anywhere. I stopped before I went mad with self deprecating "this is just going rubbish"-ness!

Being my first proper attempt at digital painting in many years I changed a lot of this throughout painting it like the brush type, pressure options for my tablet and number of shades to use!

I started out only using opaque brushes with an acryllic type brush (hence the fuzziness) then I started using circular brush with pressure sensitive opaqueness.

It's pretty bad, but at this stage it's all I can manage! More practice needed! :-)

Old 06-03-2016, 10:40 AM   #3
JAMF
JAMF JAMF JAMF JAMF JAMF

Here's an image I sketched on paper. I will admit that once I scanned it in I tidies it up over a semi opaque layer of the photo. Apart from scaling it, only the eyes, nose and hands were out. (But they were way out!) I got the general composition right and to scale. Just still relying on symbol drawing for eyes and noses! :-(

I'm aware I've missed a lot of detail, but I didn't have enough time!

Old 06-05-2016, 02:19 PM   #4
JAMF
JAMF JAMF JAMF JAMF JAMF

OK here's a repaint of that one. I'm not sure what I learned by doing this? But I think it looks cleaner.

I'm still practising seeing in values.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:48 AM   #5
JAMF
JAMF JAMF JAMF JAMF JAMF

Here's another paint job over a sketch I did last night.

My biggest changes of metheod;

- Using hard brushes, but pressure sensitive opaqueness
- Colouring mid tones first then squinting at the ref photo to see values and adding accordingly
- Colour-picking overlapping colours to blend

I think I'm heading in the right direction, but still a long way to go. I'm going to lurk at the exercise yard to get some idea as to how to improve!

Crits welcome! (and sorely needed!)

Last edited by JAMF : 06-06-2016 at 08:09 AM.
JAMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 05:03 AM   #6
JAMF
JAMF JAMF JAMF JAMF JAMF

Here is a paint I did using a tutorial I found online.

The process consisted mainly of "dotting" the paint down really roughly then a series of stages of decreasing the opacity and blending colours.

Old 06-09-2016, 05:06 AM   #7
JAMF
JAMF JAMF JAMF JAMF JAMF

And here is a nude I did using the same process.

I admit I traced the original image and painted over the lines. However, I see this as OK because I'm practising painting. I am also seperately practising sketching and line drawing on pencil and paper...

I'm happy with these two paints and think I'm making progress. Especially when I look at my first paint in this thread!

Old 06-09-2016, 06:23 PM   #8
muzz
karbogasm

Nothing wrong with tracing man. people have a bad stigma about it, but honestly, it teaches you a lot of really important things. Keep going !
Old 06-11-2016, 05:41 AM   #9
JAMF
JAMF JAMF JAMF JAMF JAMF

Here's my first landscape. I just jumped straight in with no idea really.

Not quite sure where I was going with it so I called it a day. I felt like there may be some painting techniques I've not yet learned that would get it much more real looking.

Any tips!?

Old 06-11-2016, 06:05 AM   #10
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

I too struggle with landscapes and have yet to come up with a fool proof method of cooking up compelling ones. The challenges with drawing landscapes is different to drawing people. As a first attempt its not bad, there's a sense of depth because the lighting and some attempt at perspective.

i think one of the fastest methods of enriching a landscape is atomsphereic perspective. that is, the further away something is, the more blue or lost within a haze at a distance. See http://www.arthints.com/what-is-atmo...c-perspective/ for what its about. generally my strategy to go about it is to use more blue. So bluer mountains, a a small amount of blue for distant leaves etc and as i get closer and closer i use warmer colors. Like mixing a bit of red/ yellow with my greens.

The next tip i remember is using detail to lead the eye. i'm guilty of this as i have little grasp of composition but a landscape should have a focal area and to reinforce that area make it more detailed compared to everything else . Play around with it. One of my fav ways recently of increasing the foreground details is to blur the background and lighten opacity so its almost faded out and the sharp forground edges contrast with the background.

lastly as a bit of cheat, use premade brushes or photos. Drawing every leave is a nightmare so some artists use photos, manipulate them in photoshop and you won;t know the difference or the photo is used as a base to create effective noise whilst they add a few extra bits. In photoshop you'll find plenty of free leaf, grass, cloud, mountain, rock textures etc. hell, i use them alot for landscapes and if you look hard enough you'll find many artists using the same brushes sometimes.

Is it cheating? probably. but its good for knocking out a quick background and the results are better than anything i can knock out. But i do hope to move away from them or try to use them more skillfully. Sometimes when i do draw a landscape just stamping down bits and pieces it feels very unrewarding.

"Life is one great journey. Shame about the destination"
johnway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 12:23 PM   #11
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 
Total Awards: 1

For a landscape with no previous idea, I'd say that looks pretty good for a quick sketch.
I like your figure study using the dotting technique. Gives it a nice texture and makes it feel almost traditional, like impasto.
Grieverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 01:29 PM   #12
JAMF
JAMF JAMF JAMF JAMF JAMF

Thanks both for the contributions!
I opened up the landscape again and started to add more detail. More grass effects, smaller brushes with the same dotting technique etc. Is this process called rendering?

(Johnway, I tried adding some blue to the further trees to add depth. The link you provided is really useful and I'll study it further on my next landscape attempt. This was very much an "add it last minute" kind of thing!)

Old 06-15-2016, 02:59 PM   #13
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Quote:
(Johnway, I tried adding some blue to the further trees to add depth. The link you provided is really useful and I'll study it further on my next landscape attempt. This was very much an "add it last minute" kind of thing!)
i would advise looking at John magne Lisondra landscapes. He implements the distant atmospheric perspective pretty well and i try to emulate him if possible.You don't need to look through all of it, as he does most of the blue mountains/trees stuff at the start. I think the key to success is to use blue as the actual base and add green afterwards. mix it right and it looks like a blueish greygreen. I think throughout the entire process, you may want to add blue (in varying amounts) to pretty much everything for the background and mid ground. Only near the foreground/midground do we see warmer, darker colors.

linky

Note to self: need to do more landscapes. Its been too long since i've done landscapes and i fear my skills have deteriorated.

"Life is one great journey. Shame about the destination"
johnway is offline   Reply With Quote