Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > GALLERY > Sketchbooks
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2004, 06:37 AM   #1
waisenkind
I'm a Modest Mouse :D

Send a message via ICQ to waisenkind Send a message via MSN to waisenkind
Default ANIME GAMERS! Your store for Art Supplies!.. Err. Yeah. Sketchbook. [28th Sept. 05]

Linking istead of loading for all the old images.. Thanks for the idea, DN.. the 56Kers will be grateful XD

Hrrm. I've been on a bit now, looking at art, and it made my fingers itch Although my art's nowhere near as good as all the other stuff here.. -sighs- But I only just started drawing, so I'll learn I hope

Okay, so I drew this one in our /very/ boring history lesson.. I know everything about the Habsburgs anyway xD I was just trying out my new inking pens for the first time.. the wannabe shadow under the hair kinda ruined it, and the whole face is a bit (or rather, way) too slim.. But I like the mouth, and the mole Not too happy with eyes, nose and shading.. Man, cross-hatching sure is hard when you do it the first time

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6.../Ladysmall.jpg

Then, an attempt at drawing a torso with Triclone's Beanbag Model. I'm fairly happy with it :/ Meh, but the face doesn't really look good :/ Too flat, looks like a mask.. also drawn in history Also very little shading.. needs a bit of a tweak xD

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...eh/Torso-y.jpg

Then, this one (surprise, surprise.. history class e_e) looks much better on paper -sighs- Just trying to make my normally stiff poses a bit more lively.. Didn't /really/ work, but I'm /slowly/ getting there..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ancersmall.jpg

Then, last and least xD, I finally got myself to try drawing some forshortened body parts and the likes.. I couldn't figure out what to do with the legs.. at first, they were standing, but the way she was standing didn't really match her facial expression xD /Don't/ look at the magic wand xDD Hips aren't broad enough, etc.. But I only wanted to practice folds and foreshortening.. messy face, I know ;_; I apologize But I quite like the wrap-thingie around her waist.. although the torso's not really good, but I like that xD

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...eh/FFsmall.jpg

There's not /really/ a need for you to C&C, unless you want to and can spare the time on my crap drawings.. then that is /very/ much appreciated

Anyway.. thanks for the time if you've read up to here :P

I know.. not only am I redundant and superfluos, no I also tend to use more words than obviously necessary Bear with me xD

Oh, and here's the whole page for those who don't mind a bit of a bigger page.. not all too bad, but still a bit larger :/

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...booksmall1.jpg

Oh, and IGNORE the gay Mech LMAO

Last edited by waisenkind : 09-28-2005 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Additions in the gay Mecha section xDD
waisenkind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 07:04 AM   #2
Kwiix
The Horror

Default R

You posted!

I'll tell you what I really like, that you know what you're doing wrong. For example, the FFsmall one you know you're having problems with the legs. It really is hard to draw things straight from your head. It would be a lot easier with a model or reference (that's what I use...), so don't stress out when it doesn't come out perfect. But you know what I notice most about that drawing? The hands. They came out very good. I suck at hands.

I like how you inked the ladysmall one. That one has a nice style to it that works. There are soooooooo many ways to shade. Don't think that there is just one way to do it. I think she looks very cute. Nice job on that one.

The torso one also came out pretty good. You have everything in the right place. The only real crit I have for that one is that her ear looks like it should be further back on her head.

And last, the mecha! A mecha with a dress gets 5 stars!

Like I said in my thread, the only real way to get better is to practice. Keep drawing and keep posting!!
Old 12-04-2004, 07:16 AM   #3
waisenkind

Thanks for the lengthy reply ^_^

Yea, I always have these great ideas in my head.. I sit in front of the TV, then suddenly it strikes me (last time it did that while I was watching the video of that VERY crappy song 'Call On Me by Eric Prydz' I threw THAT drawing right into the trash, though xDD)

Well, anyway, then I have this great idea and it looks /really/ good in my head, I draw it, and it sucks Then I'm de-motivated for about half an hour, sit down again, try to improve it and a totally different drawing than my initial idea comes out Which isn't necessarily always bad
Anywho, thanks again And I'll post some more as soon as I can :P Glad you liked the 'Mecha' xD

Oh, and you're so right about the ear :o!! That's why her face looked so un-belonging to the body :P Fank j00
Old 12-04-2004, 07:33 AM   #4
Splash
Karbonite

I think you are realy good, but you shouldn't demoralize yourself by writing next to every drawning that we shouldn't pay attention to this, and we shouldn't look at that.

Those look good too, don't worry. And if they don't, we could give you some advise in it.

I hope you know what I mean. All of them look good, even the mecha, in some sort of twisted freaky way :P
Old 12-04-2004, 07:35 AM   #5
waisenkind

Thanks Splash ^_^ Yea, I know what you mean, I tend to be very harsh to myself
Old 12-04-2004, 07:38 AM   #6
Splash
Karbonite

Okay, glad you understand.

I mean, you draw everything straight out of your head.
I use references, and still your drawnings look hella lot better then mine.
Old 12-04-2004, 08:13 AM   #7
waisenkind

I couldn't find any of your work, Splash.. care to give me some linkage ?

Last edited by waisenkind : 12-04-2004 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Question ?_?
Old 12-04-2004, 12:05 PM   #8
waisenkind

Hrrm.. just doodled two sketches, tried to draw a different perspective than just from the front or side But it doesn't really seem right..

Strangly enough, I drew /this/ one before the second one.. there's something that's just off in this whole perspective, I just can't pinpoint it.. I think it might be something with the chest being kinda frontal whereas the rest is from top front.. etc?! SOS Help.. or C&C, whichever one you prefer ^_~

http://home.ripway.com/2004-10/188803/Earthy.jpg

Well, yep, and after seeing something's wrong with the earthy one.. I doodled a quick sketch of how it /should/ look like.. I like that one better, the whole pose seems a bit more authentic, but there's still something wrong ;_; ...

http://home.ripway.com/2004-10/188803/TopSketch.jpg

Thanks in advance for any crits and comments

EDIT: Oh, I just noticed I didn't shade the pants/trousers on the last sketch/quick doodle.. maybe that's why the bottom doesn't seem to 'vanish' into the background as good.. well, just imagine shadows xD

Last edited by waisenkind : 03-19-2005 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Eeek..
Old 12-04-2004, 02:10 PM   #9
waisenkind

Okay.. I'm in an all-time bad sketches drawing time.. I just can't stop ;_; Hrrm.. although I notice nobody's c&c-ing, which might be a sign for me to stop posting them, I'll post anyways Joking..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...asvieh/Bla.jpg

-sighs- Maybe I could crit it myself ^_^

Well.. it's just a sketch, but more shading, tweak it a bit.. blabla

Wow, you're right :P!

EDIT: Made a Photobucket Account.. MUCHO BETTA

Last edited by waisenkind : 03-19-2005 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Red X of Doom O_O;
Old 12-04-2004, 02:44 PM   #10
Hiltz
The #1 Headband

Ah, the link still isn't working for me. I wanna see what you did.

I'll try again later.
Old 12-04-2004, 02:46 PM   #11
waisenkind

Yea, I know.. the stupid Ripway.Com said I've used up my upload amount for a day, so I'll have to wait 24h till I can upload again.. yea right -goes to make photobucket account-
Old 12-04-2004, 03:56 PM   #12
Alucard1515
BANNED? You tell me?

Awards Showcase
2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Video Game Sequential Contest '07 
Total Awards: 1

Send a message via AIM to Alucard1515

I actually like your first drawing there the best. I think I just like drawing with ink pens, though. The crosshatching isn't as bad as you think, and I think you could really make it work for you if you kept at it. The nose is the only thing that bothers me, but that's because I'm not too fond of the anime triangle noses.

The pose is pretty good for the dancer pic. She's missing a head, obviously, but aside from that it's good. I don't know if you're using a blocking method, or a manequin to get the proportions and body worked out, but it seems like it. That's not a bad thing at all, just remember to use it as a base, then build on top of it. Some of the proportions still seem kind of blocked in. Like around the ankles, it should taper down towards her feet, and the heel should bulge out some more.

The picture with the girl sitting with the butterfly is nice. Her feet seem just a little too small, though. Also, it seems like you're making the noses almost flat to the face in the faces. From a front view, that works (because it's foreshortened), but when you do it from a side view, it should stick out further than that.

Still, it's all pretty good. I think if you keep practicing, you'll get even better.

100 sketches in 100 days
Sketchbook
Alucard1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 12:23 AM   #13
waisenkind

Hrrm, alucard, what's a blocking method O_o;? And nope, I don't use a manequin.. I drew that from my head.. in history class (I think ) First I draw a stick figure, then the body around it.. and yep, I agree, she doesn't have a head, I can totally see what you mean :o!

Naw, joking :P I don't like her knees (Christmas Dancer).. but I was only trying to get the proportions alright ^_^

Thanks for the crit

EDIT: I forgot.. well, the nose on the inked lady.. I agree, I had a proper nose drawn, but then I just kind of thought I wouldn't manage with the inking because it'd look a bit to dark/busy O_o;;

And the butterfly girl's nose.. well, that face I'm not too fond of anyway xD The body was more important here.. I really should be praticing faces aswell though O_o I notice they all look a bit crappy, especially noses.. I only go for body, but I'll be doing more face practice today ^_^
Old 12-05-2004, 01:42 AM   #14
Alucard1515
BANNED? You tell me?

Awards Showcase
2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Video Game Sequential Contest '07 
Total Awards: 1

Send a message via AIM to Alucard1515

Quote:
Hrrm, alucard, what's a blocking method O_o;?
I don't know if anyone else calls it that. It's kind of like doing the stick figure, but using blocky body parts, or some sort of shape to get the base of it drawn first. I think blocking is actually something else, it's just the only word I could think of for it.

100 sketches in 100 days
Sketchbook
Alucard1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 01:48 AM   #15
waisenkind

Oh, nope I just draw a stick figure and the (err) body around it.. I never use blocky body parts :P

I know what you mean though.. I should try that, maybe
Old 12-05-2004, 04:39 AM   #16
waisenkind

Okay, so I drew this in about 15 minutes.. Basically, I just wanted to try inking again.. it looks very rushed, and unfinished, and I'm not very happy with it at all.. The toenails are ugly-ish and please note that I don't paint mine, and that I actually cut them O_o;;

C&C or flames very welcome

Old 12-05-2004, 07:14 AM   #17
PhisH
Ninja

haha interesting shot, I might do a variation of the theme if you don't mind ^_^

PhisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 09:40 AM   #18
waisenkind

Ha. I rated my thread I didn't think I could do that with my own one O_o -is back to maths :K-
Old 12-05-2004, 11:23 AM   #19
waisenkind

Sure you can, Fish ! Go ahead, but I want to see it when it's done
Old 12-06-2004, 04:35 AM   #20
Kwiix
The Horror

Default R

Now there's an angle I never thought about drawing. Then again I never take a pencil with me to the toilet, but even if I did I don't think I could sit there that long to finish the drawing.