Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > COMMUNITY > Member's Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2013, 05:15 PM   #21
falmith
not a kiwi

Awards Showcase
3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Pimp This Sketch Contest '10 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: New Year '07 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Movie Poster Contest '08 
Total Awards: 3

Send a message via MSN to falmith Send a message via Skype™ to falmith

Oh mannnn you've already started on the writing stage......

random:
Quote:
Originally Posted by r@nd0m-lamb
love triangle. Girl, Boy, Gargoyle. Plus birds. A lot of birds and insanity. Mindfuck at the end.
So....hilarity ensues? Sounds promising, I approve of crazies. Also, are we talking about living gargoyles here? This is important.

johnway: I was going to go for a more in depth critique, but it sounds like a large part of it came from another story you read....? Any rate, I agree that the ending seems to be too different from the beginning, but it's because you're suddenly shifting the focus off the main character. If anything, I think it'd work better as a two-part story: part one focusing on the first MC, and the next bit focusing on the grim reaper character (his search for the chess set, learning what he did to beat the other guy, etc). Also keep in mind you need to fit it all in 45 pages max. This sounds like it'd be a lot longer than that, and again, would not recommend using a story that seems so similar to a story that's already been written somewhere (even if it is, as you say, just similar in the beginning/premise). I expect you'll get better feedback if you start your own WIP thread for this, though.

Last edited by falmith : 06-18-2013 at 09:22 PM.
falmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:00 PM   #22
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

I must stress that i am NOT taking part in the compo. My original post was actually highlighting that i had NO talent for this stuff and for some reason i felt i should admit to complete strangers that i day dream to work conjuring bad stories from stuff i watched, read or seen and adding my character into them. Its kinda sad. But it does pass the time effectively to my work.

The story was just an example of my "talents" for this stuff and i thought i mention to hint that the story was no way original. Hell it wasn't even inspired by death note as it was more inspired/ripped from a story i read when i was 13 and in high school. Who knows, once i get better at drawing, i might start drawing a story on it to scratch my creative itch further.

If i did attempt the compo, i would probably have based the story on a theme or a moral. Most of the best movies or stories are based on them. If anyone has read invisible ink, they'll understand what i mean or getting at. Maybe a heart warming story about moving on from loss? Perhaps a cautionary tale on something or a social commentary on the hypocrisy of the world or something. But one thing is certain, writing a good memorable story is tough.

"Life is one great journey. Shame about the destination"
johnway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:49 AM   #23
Lamb
christmas squid

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Hunters Contest '12 Boss Battle Contest - 2nd place:  - Issue reason: Had that cute crit glyph 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: LEGO Illustration Contest '11 
Total Awards: 4

Send a message via ICQ to Lamb

There, there. Looking for reassurance that it's not true.

http://chronoray.tumblr.com/
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:51 PM   #24
RobotCat
Best combination ever

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 1 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 2 
Total Awards: 2

Hmm, anyone know if we're supposed to do a panels left to right or right to left?

Also, maybe we can get a subforum for this?
RobotCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:14 PM   #25
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

I wouldn't think it would matter at the end of the day. i mean, they could just flip the image back to front if needed. Like they did with batman child of dreams. It was initially from right to left and when they released it to the west they flipped it to left to right.

"Life is one great journey. Shame about the destination"
johnway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:51 PM   #26
falmith
not a kiwi

Awards Showcase
3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Pimp This Sketch Contest '10 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: New Year '07 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Movie Poster Contest '08 

o_O...........I automatically assumed it'd be left to right in English, and right to left in Japanese and Chinese........

The more I think about it, right to left makes more sense. (2/3 the readers will assume it's from right to left, and a lot of English-translated manga these days are kept in the original format, so...probably?) I don't see it stated in the rules, though. And yes, it does matter whether the pages get flipped or not; the art sometimes looks more skewed in one direction after the flip, so xion brings up a good point.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:53 PM   #27
RobotCat
Best combination ever

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 1 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 2 

A lot of Chinese manga is left to right actually. Anyways, should probably try to get this clarified ASAP.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:03 PM   #28
falmith
not a kiwi

Awards Showcase

Oh hey, there's a Q&A:
https://mangaaward.shonenjump.com/en/home/contact

"Q. Does submission has to be made from right to left like in Shonen Jump? Or just draw it from left to right and mirror it.

A.You can choose your manga to be bound on the right side or the left side, whichever that suits your manga."

There you go.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:43 PM   #29
RobotCat
Best combination ever

Awards Showcase

I wonder if I should go right to left instead. It might appeal more to the online voter base.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:32 PM   #30
Espresso
best served delicious

From the competition people:
Hello, we are SHONEN JUMP COMPETITION Administrative Office.
Thank you for your inquiry.

The works we are accepting in this competition are works that are not
previously published, and this includes works that are already posted
online. If the published version is still an unfinished version and
the completed version is not posted yet, we will accept it.

Thank you for your cooperation.

So if we do the contest, it must be for unfinished (uninked, dialogless, etc). Possibly should only be the first couple of pages, rather than the entire unfinished thing. This might be good because we can work on REALLY getting the the hook to grab the readers attention within the first few pages...
Old 07-07-2013, 11:36 PM   #31
ShimmeringSword
KarbideRanger

Quote:
So if we do the contest, it must be for unfinished
lol, they mean you're not allowed to enter with anything that was previously completed and published/posted, they only allow fresh content. The extra bit of wording said that you can have old WIP images posted elsewhere and still qualify submitting the completed work. Nowhere does it recommend you submit unfinished work.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:50 AM   #32
Lamb
christmas squid

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Hunters Contest '12 Boss Battle Contest - 2nd place:  - Issue reason: Had that cute crit glyph 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: LEGO Illustration Contest '11 

Espresso was referring to a potential pk contest not the sj contest itself.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:27 PM   #33
ShimmeringSword
KarbideRanger

In that case, I derped. Didn't think that subject would sprout up again after so long. IN any case I wouldn't recommend doing anything like that. Just post WIPs and ask for critique like normal.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:05 PM   #34
RobotCat
Best combination ever

Awards Showcase

So, how's everyone doing?

I'm on the 5th revision of my script now, but it's pretty much finalized so I've started pencilling. Going for 45 pages so it's going to be a marathon until October 1st.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:31 AM   #35
Lamb
christmas squid

Awards Showcase

I'm a pathetic lump of depression right now. But the fact that I'm talking about it on the internet suggests that it's getting better, or worse. Not sure yet.

I want to start a comic soon, but probably not for the contest.

Damn Robot Cat, that's a lot of pages in such a short time. Good luck.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:03 PM   #36
RobotCat
Best combination ever

Awards Showcase

Sorry about your depression, hope you come out of it soon. Have you seen Pacific Rim yet? Maybe that'll help.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:09 PM   #37
RobotCat
Best combination ever

Awards Showcase

So they FINALLY released the finalists. I didn't make it, although judging by the quality of the entries I feel they probably either didn't look at mine (because I glitched it in 2 days late) or because the pacing is just a bit off (something I'll need to fix in future mangas).

https://mangaaward.shonenjump.com/items.php