Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > COMMUNITY > Member's Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2012, 11:11 PM   #1
Nefastus
Lucky Enough

Send a message via AIM to Nefastus Send a message via Yahoo to Nefastus
Default ADD or ADHD

So a psychiatric major and friend of mine supposes I have ADHD. Recommended I set an appointment with a doctor to figure that out. Anyone on here medicate for ADHD? Does it make life better?

Last edited by Nefastus : 09-22-2012 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Apparently I
Nefastus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:09 AM   #2
Lamb
christmas squid

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Hunters Contest '12 Boss Battle Contest - 2nd place:  - Issue reason: Had that cute crit glyph 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: LEGO Illustration Contest '11 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 
Total Awards: 4

Send a message via ICQ to Lamb

It's a good excuse for underachieving for a start.

http://chronoray.tumblr.com/
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:10 AM   #3
Meatloaf
Brett

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 1 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Movie Poster Contest '08 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Video Game Sequential Contest '07 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: LEGO Illustration Contest '11 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: New Year '07 
Total Awards: 5

Send a message via MSN to Meatloaf

...I'm sorry, what?

Just kidding :p How old are you? Is this effecting your life in such a negative way that it you are having a problem functioning? If not, then I wouldn't medicate. If you simply cannot function in everyday life, then maybe go see the doctor.

Why do they think you have it? Some of the WebMD symptoms: Procrastination, easily getting distracted, unorganization, difficulty starting tasks...Sounds like most people :P
If you have these problems (and again, if they are affecting your life in that bad of a way), I'd start off with self discipline. Try to make yourself focused. Use lists, use a timer for tasks or something. Ask your psychologist friends for methods maybe, because I'm just listing shit I've done to be more organized and focused
Old 09-22-2012, 09:38 AM   #4
Manamaraya
A candy van!!?

Awards Showcase
2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Halloween Sprite Contest '10 
Total Awards: 1

I've been clinically diagnosed with severe ADD, and it's something that *can* be over come without medication if you follow certain exercises. What those exercises are might vary and your professional should help you figure out what works best for you. I don't think ADD is a disorder so much as it's just a different way of thinking and behaving--so if you shape your day to day routine, and organize your house/workplace/etc to accommodate your quirks (forgetfulness, short focus span, disorganization, inability to sit and do something that's not 100% riveting, etc) you'll be able to function fine.

Another factor of ADD that most people with ADD don't even realize until it's pointed out is that they have a 'thrill seeking' addiction--not in an 'adrenaline junky' kind of manner (though it could be), but the ADD brain will actively seek out emotional stimulation. Often that comes in the form of being argumentative, getting into fights, or self-talking oneself into severely negative emotions (depression, or extreme frustration/anger over virtually nothing). For example, I'd get so angry at people that I wouldn't speak to them for weeks and weeks, despite the fact that they often didn't even do anything to warrant it. And I liked it--it felt like I was scratching some kind of itch and it was satisfying in an unfortunate kind of way. When I learned that it was likely an 'ADD' game my mind played in effort to restore a balance in chemicals (something to do with low dopamine levels), I've since changed to make sure I focus on positive things to get excited over. Like, I'll plan exciting dates or promise myself a particularly delicious meal or something if I ever feel the need to get all worked up over something haha. I've been a lot more chill with people and things since discovering why I'd always get so mean about stuff.

If you do have ADD medicating might work, but not always in a desirable manner. I had vouched to avoid medicating because I had heard that it does a bad number to people in creative fields. I don't know how much of that is bullshit, but I don't know why I'd be willing to even play around with that when this is completely manageable without. It just takes hard work, close and objective observation, and due diligence. I mean sure I'm not 100%, but at least I'm well functional now and always improving :]
On that note, if you *don't* have ADD and still manage to get yourself medicated via misdiagnosis, the medication will send you through the roof.

Annnd this should go without saying BUT, what ever you do, don't let the potential of having AD/HD be an excuse for not doing things, or for being a shabby person, etc. Because it's not.

Last edited by Manamaraya : 09-22-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Manamaraya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:38 AM   #5
RetiredOldie
Biggu Bosu

Manamaraya doesn't have ADD, she just says so to get attention from people.

Want to know how i know this? She wrote a post the size of A4.

First part of your description fits all the notes of being tween and teen and second part describes you outgrowing the problem shows simple state of transition from a child into adulthood.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:42 AM   #6
Manamaraya
A candy van!!?

Awards Showcase

Shh! no one's going to give me the attention I crave if you keep pointing it out! >:(
I guess I'm gonna have to go and fake depression now or something. Thanks, I was trying to avoid that.

Second part might be true, except I was diagnosed two years ago and "grew up" over the course of two weeks haha! Knowing and understanding the way your brain works can do wonders * U*
Old 09-22-2012, 12:17 PM   #7
RetiredOldie
Biggu Bosu

It's all about your own understanding of where you stand at this moment and how you can improve on it. Diagnosis was just the catalyst for changing your own image and approach to friend, family and personal ethics.

Your description of ADD fits majority of people in the western world with a lot of time and choices on how to spend it. The lack of living difficulties comparable to the less fortune ones provide more time to have civil discourse and lament over own issues. We are also group and individualistic creatures so it's natural for us to garner attention from others. These are not symptoms but natural conduct on each and every ones part.

I would not dare to go against medically established consensus but from your description it could be just as much of core personality of an individual as it is a symptom. I stand pretty high against medically treating people who don't click in perfectly into cogs of society.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:08 PM   #8
Manamaraya
A candy van!!?

Awards Showcase

Haha, RO, I don't think we are disagreeing. Perhaps you missed the part where I pointed out that ADD was not so much a disorder but rather a certain way of thinking and behaving.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:31 PM   #9
Nefastus
Lucky Enough

Send a message via AIM to Nefastus Send a message via Yahoo to Nefastus

I'm 25 years old. My phone is my life planner. I also have a pocket book to help with reminders and plans. I don't function right without at least one of them. I plan my days in advance. I allot times for tasks in a schedule on my phone with a timer and follow it. Still can't stop my mind from getting off task or running background things. It is like there are tracks in my mind and they keep pumping in irrelevant information constantly.

So maybe it isn't the same thing that ADD manamaraya described, I don't get angry at people without reason. I rarely get angry at all. Most of my negative thoughts are after I've realized how long it took me to complete a thought.

This took me 25 minute+ to type out. I didn't have any other tabs open in my browser or anything else to distract me except the constant noise in my brain. It isn't even relevant or line of thought noise. Just endless amounts of ideas. Honestly have no idea how long it took me to do this part.

Last edited by Nefastus : 09-22-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Nefastus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:17 PM   #10
RetiredOldie
Biggu Bosu

Quote:
I don't get angry at people without reason. I rarely get angry at all.
Well, you would. If you had "that" time of the month.

Mana i'm not disagreeing with you. Just find it a bit ridiculous how broad the definition of ADD actually is.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:42 PM   #11
Manamaraya
A candy van!!?

Awards Showcase

It is very broad, and I think it's silly that it's treated as a "disorder"/something that is *wrong* with an individual when really it's not something wrong, it's just something a bit 'different'. It's a description, not a disease. It pretty well describes anyone who doesn't have "typical" behavior. It was something like 5% of the western population is diagnosed with AD/HD and while that doesn't sound like a lot of folks, it *is* a lot of folks.

Dopamine is the key chemical that's implicated with ADD and folks with ADD simply have lower Dopamine activity that they 'typical' human being (hence the 'thrill seeking' explained in my previous post [which is not restricted to 'getting really mad'], as well it explains why mild stimulants like Adderall will help and ADDer focus while it'll make someone with 'typical' dopamine activity vibrate on the spot). It's not anything to write home about in terms of crippling disorders haha. Just keep exercised, try to put yourself in exciting and novel situations, allow yourself healthy amounts of "you" stress, and provide rewards for yourself to look forward to and that'll help with low dopamine. And any tricks you have to keep yourself from forgetting stuff that helps you get through your day to day routine without disaster, definitely keep on that.

Consulting a professional, as an adult specifically, doesn't do any harm. They can tell you your not crazy, that there are exercises you can do, and if you have a *good* professional dishing out this information, they'll present medication as an option but urge you to try going without. I don't like the idea of diagnosing children or teenagers with ADD and then medicating them at all simply because...their brain is just so underdeveloped, it's ludicrous to me.