Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > GALLERY > Art Critique
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2014, 03:30 PM   #1
Noir Proxy
My jinx is occupied!

Send a message via MSN to Noir Proxy Send a message via Skype™ to Noir Proxy
Default Hill Feel WIP

I have had this image stuck in my head for years but only now got round to trying it out.

Currently I am figuring out if I want to tweak her 'poncho' to make it more ponchoey, or give it sleeves and maybe a messenger bag. I may change the hat to be one of those cut monster/ creature hats with the big bits of string on the side but for now it will do.

I just started on the boots too but the colours and overall simplicity is something I really wanted to share.

Thoughts?
Old 08-12-2014, 11:16 AM   #2
black300
hopefully talented xD

I really like your style, and i was greatly influenced by it, i really like the simplicity you mention on this one. I would maybe add some more detail on the poncho, but simple details ofc

Really looking forward seeing next iteration of this
Old 08-12-2014, 02:07 PM   #3
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

for some reason when i stare at her face i keep thinking that her nose is her mouth and that bottom line is some sort of second chin. But when i refocus and look at the bottom line and keep things in perspective i can see it all fits and works.

Is there something you could to address this? Maybe thicken the lip and lighten or thin the nose line (perhaps swap the thickness between the 2 features?).

Regarding messenger bag, i wonder whether a school bag or satchel bag would work?

Otherwise its good.

"Life is one great journey. Shame about the destination"
johnway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:37 PM   #4
Espresso
best served delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnway
for some reason when i stare at her face i keep thinking that her nose is her mouth and that bottom line is some sort of second chin.
oh no, what have you done...

Good work. Something about the feet though. Maybe add some overlap with the lineart?
Old 08-13-2014, 10:46 AM   #5
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 1st Place:  - Issue reason: When Hell Freezes Over Contest '11 Boss Battle Contest - Winner: 1st place - Issue reason: Beat the scariest boss into a pulp 
Total Awards: 3

Send a message via Skype™ to astrapho

Hm, agreed with Johnway about the nose looking like the mouth, I think you should thicken the mouth line instead of the nose maybe. The legs need to be shifted right a bit, she looks sliightly unbalanced. Also suggest drawing the folds through for the scarf to fit with the style of the rest of the clothes. Would also suggest some simple block shading in the hair. I think the sleeves and the bag aren't necessary, unless you have something character related to say with the bag and the sleeves I'd say leave it. It's a really cute piece love the face.
astrapho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:39 AM   #6
Anyte
The Unsmiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espresso
oh no, what have you done...
It was all good until I read Johnway's comment. The nose was a nose and the mouth a mouth. Now it's all messed up in my head. I wonder if making the cheeks a little rosier would fix that as it was the cheeks that made the difference for me to begin with.
Anyte is offline   Reply With Quote