Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > COMMUNITY > Member Created Tutorials
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2009, 11:11 AM   #1
srilyk

Send a message via ICQ to srilyk Send a message via AIM to srilyk Send a message via MSN to srilyk Send a message via Yahoo to srilyk
Default How to Recieve Crits

Hi, I've noticed that some folks have problems with receiving crits, so I thought I'd write a bit of a tutorial to help (everyone) deal with the topic of getting and responding to critiques.

Step 1:

Draw(or write) something. Put at least *some* effort into it. If you draw a circle and a few sticks and ask for a crit, you probably won't get a great response. If you type a few sentences like this
Quote:
The girl walked into the bar. A man shot her.
you probably won't get a great response. If that's the best you can do don't expect a lot of good critiques.

Step 2:

Post it. It's really difficult for us to offer good critiques on something we cannot see. Most likely no one will bother to respond. Really a no brainer, but I'm nothing if not thorough.

Step 3:

If there is a specific problem that you're having, mention it. If there is a specific area (eyes, fingers, legs, hips) that you're having trouble with, call our attention to it. Sometimes we only have a few minutes, and an indication of what you would like to see helps direct our comments.

Step 4:

Remove self disparaging remarks. Saying "I know I suck at this" doesn't help us and it doesn't help you. Trust me - if you really suck, someone will probably tell you

Step 5:

Leave your attitude at the door. Unless it's a nice one
Some people will give you harsh crits. Some will crit on things you haven't seen. Some people will probably crit on things you don't really care about. If you respond to people in an immature fashion, people will be less likely to give you future critiques, and less likely to listen to crits you offer to others.

Step 6:

Offer other people crits. There are plenty of threads to choose from. A good rule of thumb would be offer two crits each time you want a piece of yours critiqued. And few (if any) would be upset if you gave up two crits for each one you receive. Including the bad ones. Make those crits count. Find at least one or two things you like about someone else's piece and one thing you think could use some work. When you help out, people are more likely to help you out.

Step 7:

Say thank you. This is a perfect time to ask for clarification, too. Don't be afraid to plead ignorance. If someone says, "Learn anatomy!", don't just discard that because everyone says it, or because you're already trying. If you don't know what they mean, ask for specifics. For example: "Learn anatomy!" "I'm working on it. I've been reading <insert book/site>. I've also been watching <insert video>. Where would you recommend I focus? What should I study? Thanks for all the help!"

People like to know their efforts are appreciated.

Step 8:

This could be two steps but I'll keep it as one. USE the advice and don't be afraid to forget bad habits. If someone tells you to do a study of hands, create some plan for you that works. Maybe you'll draw two hands a day. Maybe you'll draw 50 hands. Maybe you'll do a study of a hand and then draw a hand how you want. Or maybe some other drawing that you enjoy. It's important to reward work with play. Just don't get it out of balance.

Step 9:

Show your work/results. If you've developed as an artist/writer/whatever because of advice we gave, we'd love to see it. Most of us are here because we not only enjoy making beautiful art/writing, but we enjoy the "consumption" of said art/writing.

If you follow these steps, you're very likely to improve as an artist, have a great time on Polykarbon, and heck, you'll probably be a better human being, too

If anyone has any crits of *this*... let 'em fly

Sketch Exchanges:
Now with more <InnerShadow>
Over 9000! - with <ssjmvegita>

You want eyes? Get them here!
srilyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:42 PM   #2
Alphaf
Karbophile

Send a message via MSN to Alphaf

I think this is absolutely great. I think you covered pretty much everything, I would only add not to grovel and beg for crits, that gets annoying. Furthermore I believe this should be Stickied somewhere so everyone reads it.
I hope you dont mind Srilyk, but I would like to add the counterpart to this, GIVING crits.

Critiquing is the reason for a forum to exist, a crit can be an informed opinion, a suggestion, a correction an observation, so on and so forth. However I've noticed that a lot of people aren't really doing this in a way that will actually help as much as it could. So here are a few guidelines to compliment Srilyk's tut on receiving them.

Step 1. "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothin at all"
There is an abysmal difference between being harsh or thorough and being an ass about it. Some people have a very blunt way of saying thins, others are really sweet, regardless they are usually trying to help. If you're priority is putting the person down, making them feel bad, and/or dissing their work, just refrain from posting at all. If you meant no harm with your post and it came off as mean, clarify and just apologize, its not a hard thing to do.

Step 2. Be specific
Lately I have seen too much of the "study anatomy" post. Although this is always good advice, and it probably has a lot of truth to it, it is really not very helpful. Most people know they need to work on anatomy, what they are generally looking for is a specific aspect in which you could provide advice. You dont need to cover the entirety of the problems, just pick a few that stand out at you. Say something like "so a lot of your anatomy needs work, but I especially notice the arm muscles are wrong because blablablablabla...." You dont need to make a speech out of the crit, it can be a couple of sentences, but using one liner posts to say "Your anatomy is off, do some studies" is SPAM. Remember, the more oyu specify the more helpful the crit.

Step 3. Be Encouraging
You dont need to be all candy-coated-sugar-baby when you post, but just pointing out the negative (especially when in large doses) can be a bit of a downer, so try to say something encouraging. Something simple like "Keep at it, I like the concept" should suffice.

Step 4. Red Lining and Draw Overs
This is probably one of the most helpful things you can do. Because drawing is very visual, and somethings are hard to describe (or understand) with words, redlining and draw overs are usually stronger.Red-lining is when you 'trace' over the person's drawing with red to point out how to improve, draw-overs or redraws are your version of another person's drawing, this can help by giving the person another view of their drawing besides creating a reference. Now, 2 things about these aspects of a crit, A) Be careful no to mislead the person, try to make them as correct as possible B) Make sure you accompany the drawing with an explanation.

Step 5. DO NOT DIG UP OLD THREADS!!
I have seen this one too many times! Dont go into page 16 of the forum section and critique something. A good rule of thumb is anything beyond page 2, or older than 2 months that has not been touched, leave it alone.

Step 6. Just Do it!
Self explanatory this one. Go in and give crits as much as possible.

Hopefully I got everything. If not just slap it on here.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:50 PM   #3
KitsuneSefam
Karbonite

Send a message via AIM to KitsuneSefam Send a message via MSN to KitsuneSefam

Thanks srilyk, this is surely tons of stuff I could apply and some damn helpful tutorial. I've been kind of a douchebag lately about stuff I've been told .
KitsuneSefam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:00 PM   #4
gold_tangerine
Direct Order to Rock Out

I wish there had been something like this here when I was a n00b. I'm still embarrassed at the way I received crits x_X n00bs, don't make the same mistake!
gold_tangerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:56 AM   #5
McGarnacle
coins in a wishing well.

i before e except after c
Old 02-21-2009, 07:26 AM   #6
aido179
Karbonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGarnacle
i before e except after c
or when sounded as "a" as in neighbour and weigh...

good tut. i should get back to regular criting
Old 02-21-2009, 08:29 AM   #7
Downy
lolwut?

Send a message via MSN to Downy

This should be stickied and part of the FAQ

Also, this is a great tut, both for you and Alphaf, and I think that I will start to do more critiquing and less "good stuff".

Thanks guys
Old 02-23-2009, 01:17 PM   #8
fshoo`
For sure.

Send a message via MSN to fshoo`

\o/

Sticky please, and if possible, in every art section, so it'll be read at the place it is needed most.

fshoo` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:15 AM   #9
Fiona
Taken By Trees

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: When Hell Freezes Over Contest '11 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Time Lapse Contest '09 
Total Awards: 2

Yeah, crits are hard for me to recieve sometimes, but they have that ability to bring you back to reality with my art. Sometimes I'll finish something, and I think "it's perfect!" and errrr, that's pretty much never true... I don't care about everything people crit me on, because some things just don't work for me. But a lot of times people will point out things I didn't even think about, and I go back and realize they're right.

After all these years, crits are still hard to take sometimes, but that's because I have to much emotionally invested in my work. I think sometimes I invest my self worth into my art, and the excellence of my art becomes a definiton of my own internal self worth. As time passes, I think I get better and better at defining myself as something a whole lot more then the work I have created.

Recieving honest, positive crits is something that has helped me time and time again improve my work, and my connection to my work. I still take things personally sometimes, but not nearly as much as I did when I started.

You need them, it's how things go. If you don't recieve crits and take some things seriously, you'll never get to the place you want to be.
Fiona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:17 AM   #10
srilyk

Send a message via ICQ to srilyk Send a message via AIM to srilyk Send a message via MSN to srilyk Send a message via Yahoo to srilyk

Great compliment to my post, Alpha

Yeah, I had been browsing around (I've been uber busy lately) and noticed that some people had been responding to some crits in a rather negative way, so I thought I'd write this up... I even searched to see if I could find a similar thread already created and was fairly surprised there wasn't (that I could find).

Thanks for all the input guys & gals ^_^

Sketch Exchanges:
Now with more <InnerShadow>
Over 9000! - with <ssjmvegita>

You want eyes? Get them here!
srilyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:31 PM   #11
ultagod
Inside Joke

CRIT you say... ROLL A PERFECT 20!!!

I find the better and more effort put in, the easier it is to isolate an actual problem with the art (my own at least). If ya don't call attention to it, it can't be corrected. Good points. I will try to keep these in mind.
ultagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:21 PM   #12
Rankao
Karbonite

Send a message via AIM to Rankao Send a message via MSN to Rankao

Man I LOVE getting negative crits. Crits for me are like experience points, every time I get a critic I feel closer to gaining a new level. However Positive critcs are like light blues, they don't give you as much experience points as an epic Red.

GENERATION 23:
The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Rankao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:34 PM   #13
Fiona
Taken By Trees

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: When Hell Freezes Over Contest '11 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Time Lapse Contest '09 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rankao
Man I LOVE getting negative crits. Crits for me are like experience points, every time I get a critic I feel closer to gaining a new level. However Positive critcs are like light blues, they don't give you as much experience points as an epic Red.

Do you really? Your work SUCKS!

Did that help at all?
Old 02-24-2009, 10:06 PM   #14
Threes
umop episdn

Send a message via AIM to Threes Send a message via MSN to Threes Send a message via Yahoo to Threes

I have to agree with Fiona when she mentioned investing so much time and effort into a painting. I get so attached to some things i do that it is difficult to receive critique on it. Its so difficult to take criticism when you feel like - despite the flaws - the painting or drawing is perfect. When receiving crits, you need to remember that you are drawing for yourself, but you also need to have an open enough mind to view it with an unbiased eye. Such a difficult balance to obtain....

I can't say that i particularly "enjoy" critique, but i do find it to be one of the most helpful ways to improve, right below practice. It is especially a welcome sight when you KNOW something is wrong in a piece and you can't place it. The endless fawning that sites like dA give is particularly annoying when you are trying to improve.

.... I don't know where this post is going. Just a critique rant i guess
Old 02-25-2009, 11:24 AM   #15
Valcron
Titan

Send a message via MSN to Valcron

What I find difficult is finding the people who will criticize your work. All to often do I see many many threads (Or even my own) go days without comments, or much more than one. I try to post in those (When I can), because there's nothing more disheartening than posting your art your proud in only to have it be largely ignored by the masses.

Disclaimer: Views are not C&C (Comments And Criticism), even if you have 1000 views, without comments it's nothing. Means no one could find a reason to say your art was good and/or bad, and personally I find that a tad insulting. I'd rather have someone come be a jack-hole to me than ignore me completely (This saying, I'd rather them not be a jack-hole, but a jack-hole is better than nothing).

Now sorry for the mini-rant; back on subject. I agree with this thread being stickied, everyone should know how to properly receive criticism. It's a part of life :O. Now we need a guide to giving crits and have IT stickied so people are reminded that there's more to a thread than just viewing it, and thinking 'Mmm that looks nice', and not saying anything in return.

/me thoughts
Valcron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:28 PM   #16
Cruiser18
The Sharpest Pencil

Awards Showcase
3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Halloween Sprite Contest '10 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Do you really? Your work SUCKS!

Did that help at all?
That's not crits. That's called trolling.
Cruiser18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 04:00 AM   #17
pofo
hopeless situation elder

Awards Showcase
2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Victorian Sci-Fi Contest '08 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valcron
there's nothing more disheartening than posting your art your proud in only to have it be largely ignored by the masses.
I call it a lesson in humility.
pofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:10 AM   #18
Valcron
Titan

Send a message via MSN to Valcron

Quote:
Originally Posted by pofo
I call it a lesson in humility.
Hmm, perhaps proud was the wrong choice of words? My bad, same point though but without the proud part.

EDIT: And yeah, I'd agree it would be a lesson in humility I suppose.
Valcron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:08 AM   #19
Fiona
Taken By Trees

Awards Showcase

Two days ago some one on devi art told me my work was "poor to average." I could hardly believe it, I wanted to say F-U bitch, but after I really wanted to draw even more, and work 10x harder to show them they were oh so wrong. Poor to average? I'm not amazing, but I deserve a LOT more then that! Who says that kind of thing????