Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > GALLERY > Sketchbooks
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2013, 09:21 PM   #81
RobotCat
Best combination ever

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 1 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 2 
Total Awards: 2

Hmm, I thought you might learn a bit more if you copied some classical perspective drawings by famous draftsmen. Sometimes it's better to copy and then attempt to understand than to just keep trying by yourself.
RobotCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:51 PM   #82
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

I think i shot myself on the foot partly by choosing to draw churches - having done some research on gothic architecture its not as easy as i thought. But i dunno, i must have felt that i wanted to dive into the deep end and learn something as i have zero idea as to draw a church properly.

The pics i used references on google. Needlessly to say they look nothing like them. I dunno, i need to figure out the technique first and go from there. I've had a think and i'm going to not bother with an initial rough paint and instead get the perspectives done first and start by drawing boxes and mould it from there.

"Life is one great journey. Shame about the destination"
johnway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:02 AM   #83
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

More drawings this weekend. What started off a plan to draw armpits ended with me focusing on one picture to refine the fundamentals and also get my hand on some inking practice.

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

I will probably attempt to color this after i've had a break and have a fresh set of eyes on this pic before painting. If there is anything someone wants to focus on, feel free to let me know. I could do with a fresh perspective

Old 10-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #84
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

A quick picture about 30 minutes before bed. More practice and defining methods.

Todays work. I was watching sycras's vid and how he was drawing randomly shapes and noodling to develop a picutre (using the right side of the brain?) and i thought i'll give it a go and see what comes out of it. No real plan just drew a head and went from there.

I was satisfied with the results with the technique as i was able to sculpt and develop shapes with a clear mind rather getting aggro with perfect shapes and such. Very relaxing stuff.

Of course, it just wouldn't be me without throwing a quick paint job as a bonus on practice and the results speak for themselves really:

i suppose it will only come with practice.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:46 AM   #85
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Just a little practice with using the tablet and using ref pictures.

Hopefully next week, a return to perspective.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #86
Anyte
The Unsmiling

I've always been a little weird; there's something about an unfinished look that I enjoy. On that note I like your figure sketches. Unfortunately, I'm drawn to the guy in the upper right. It looks awkward but maybe only because I can't figure out what it is he's doing.
Anyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:41 AM   #87
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

According to the photo it was a guy lifting his leg up ever so slightly whilst a piece of cloth coiled around it.

The arm is supposed to be foreshotened and a way to balance the shift in weight.

I must admit, i too like a rough look to artwork in some pictures as the noise gives it a different feel to things. But its easier said then done as there seems to be a real challenge to leave it unfinished yet look complete. Sort of thing someone drawing something that takes 3 random strokes as opposed lots of them.

Right now i'm trying anything to get better at my work. Thanks for replying on sketch book!

Old 10-19-2013, 08:51 AM   #88
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Weekend drawing. I recently watched a youtube video on drawing a female face that i found super effective. Namely, control of the jaw and chin area. You can see the work flow.

Its certainly better then the usual stuff. The best part was that i didn't reference the face except the hair. I'll need to play with the process as it creates square jawed characters and also whether it works in different angles. I suspect it will, but again, i'll incorporate it into my drawing and see where it takes me.

Feel free to crit away. I sense i need to learn more about the painting process and the brushes i used was predominately a hard round brush and a once over with the soft brush to smooth everything over.

Old 11-02-2013, 01:03 AM   #89
Chai
Karbonite

What really helps when drawing faces is doing a series of tiny portraits before starting and unreferenced piece. It helps your understanding of thr technique you learned and makes faces look more realistic
Chai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:17 AM   #90
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Apologies for last week. I was practicing on the sketch book and was trying to get my head round shading and thinking how i could improve when i draw figures.

Didn't do much today tbh, I did some sketches for some figures before i decided to practice shading the head from a picture i glanced once or twice.

Below are the results:

This was created with practically no line work. Started off with a black backgound, rendered the shape of the head, added shading to get things going and built it up from there. So compared to my recent work where lines are a must, i'm pleasantly surprised with the results. Even if it isn't quite there.

But did i learn anything? I'm not entirely sure as i went to auto mode and i can't think of any lessons learnt from this.

Maybe i should move onto other body parts or go back to rendering landscapes like i planned originally in the last few weeks. Maybe various materials...

Crits welcome of course

Old 11-03-2013, 08:26 AM   #91
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

I was watching a youtube video of how to paint using photoshop brushes and thought i'll give it a go.

As a first attempt and getting a feel for things its ok. Will have to see how it works once i have anatomy and other considerations put in place to see how it really looks.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:42 AM   #92
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Another weekend, another picture.

This was using a reference. Suffice to say it didn't look anything like the original.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:15 AM   #93
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

A change of tactics this weekend. I was watching youtube videos trying to find answers to why my artwork looked flat and unrefined. I came across someone demonstrating the blocking in method of a face and saw how even at the basic initial levels how damn effective it was, i wanted to try it.

Before i started drawing i just got a photo and tried to figure out the planes and where it needed to go before drawing something without references.

Draw black background, defined outline of persons face, block in the various shapes with colour (mostly just big shapes. Square for the chin and such) and then refinement. Played with the curves, and soft brushes and did this all on a single layer. I have to say there was some success with this method. But i wonder how it worked with other stuff?

Any crits are welcome. Surprised it took so little time to do. Maybe less then 2 hours. But i'll look at it when i'm use to it to see how the painting could be better.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:39 AM   #94
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Oh dear. Looks like i've gone back to my crap ways again.

I think i blended this one way too much and butchered it. Chalking this one as a failure and i didn't finish it as the blocking in method was all but lost in this picture.

I think i won't do the blending part of it next time. I'll probably focus on the nose as well. They're too long and i need to find a way to paint them. Right now i'm too absorbed in the details of the nose. I should just make it a triangle or something.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:55 PM   #95
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 
Total Awards: 1

Simplifying things is something I'm working on as well; I tend to get too caught up in the details.
When doing values, I've been told that it helps if you squint a bit, to help you filter out the details, and focus on the basic marks.
Does that make sense? :/ I'm tired.
Grieverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:36 AM   #96
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

I've heard of that one. But i what inspired me to try it was this chappies video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQON3pyYfhg

Just blows me away. But i'm seeing if it can answer some of my burning questions concerning painting properly using photoshop. Too many gaps and this seemed like a decent solution. But coping him won't get me the answer. I'm hoping by mimicking him i can unlock some hidden skill or knowledge.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:13 AM   #97
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Apologies for last week. wasn't feeling up to drawing or thought there was anything worth showing. So i didn't upload. But i was more pissing about on my tablet more then anything.

damn it. I need to step my up game. I was side tracked all last week drawing heads and trying to master the female form. i managed to get a few personal improvements but its a long way from getting there. Just got to keep at it.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:23 AM   #98
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

another set of drawings. This time something slightly special - A landscape drawing that i half finished. I was testing the perspective tool carapace 1.0 (by unreal team) which generates perspectives and find the perspective vanishing points horizon lines of pictures and saves the fuss of cooking one up.

I had the idea of making the hill a lot, lot higher so the horizon was going to be lot lower. But one of my problems that i've always wanted to solve is where the bloody hell i should the line. Sometimes i do it too low, sometimes too high, never properly. In this case slightly too high. Its also not particulary well done but thats a whole world of problems. Used a chalk brush and a hard round to accomplish. The fav part was the mountains. i was hoping to build depth, but sadly i failed in that (the trees are also uniform and perfect but i was more interested in just getting them down. Didn't have a leaf brush sadly). Should have done just one of 2 in the front and then just hinted at the rest. Perhaps a redo next week?

Next since i had a little time, i wanted to draw another female as i had been doing some studying and trying to refine my style. I was more interested in the head and the chin area in particular as i always made my females look to masculine or the head was too big (this was when i was using the proper measure measurements of rules of thirds and other things).

This took considerably longer. I was more interested in cleaning up the line art the lines themselves were done remarkably quickly. Went against trying to do proper shading as to prevent destroying all my hardwork.

Still,Crits welcome and any advice would be great.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:08 AM   #99
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

just a quick update practice on drawing trees

Old 12-21-2013, 02:51 PM   #100
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Just something i cooked up late this evening.

Crits welcome of course.