Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > COMMUNITY > Art & Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2008, 08:47 PM   #1
1mla4e1
[] <-- This is a Box...

Default Drawing Semi realistic people

Hi, I am new around here so I am not sure if this is the right place to post this or not. But I have always loved to draw and I really want to improve my skills and learn to draw people. I have never been able to do that. Are there any good tutorials on anatomy and things like that? I just dont know where to start. My friend and I do a lot of writing and have a few ideas we might turn into a comic but I cant do that unless I can draw people. I like the inked stuff becasue I suck at coloring plus I like that sketchy look. I am trying to stay away from the pure anime look and go towards the semi realistic looking stuff. i wish I had an example. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
1mla4e1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:06 PM   #2
DN
I'm standing behind you.

Hi, and welcome.

I'm moving this to the Art and Technical Questions forum, which is a great place to start reading to answer some of your questions. Make sure you check out the bottom of the screen and see that the section is filtered to only show the last month's worth of threads. You can change that to read back a bit farther and it's likely you'll find lots of information.

You can also start with the Tutorials and Reference link thread here: http://www.polykarbonbbs.com/showthread.php?t=10
Old 04-21-2008, 09:13 PM   #3
1mla4e1
[] <-- This is a Box...

Just thought of an example lol, I like the artwork from final fantasy. Mostly the later games. Only thing is that is how I would like to draw once I learn to color, still cant think of any examples of B&W Inked art.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:26 AM   #4
fshoo`
For sure.

Send a message via MSN to fshoo`

Get a book on anatomy, find yourself tons of reference pictures, and study your arse off. And learning how to draw isn't as easy as you might think it is. Don't you need to draw backgrounds for your comic as well? That requires knowledge in perspective for instance. Don't you want your characters to be dressed? That requires knowledge in folds.
And so there are so many things you need to learn. Drawing people isn't the only thing a comic artist should be able to. I don't want to discourage you, I'm just saying that your comic will take some time if you don't know how to draw people. It's true that I don't know how skilled you are, but I presume that it's not yet very skilled (since you said yourself that you don't know how to draw people). Anyway, good luck ;D

fshoo` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:40 AM   #5
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

study anatomy. Rivenphoenix's structure of man is excellent. Practically tells you everything you need to know about anatomy and how to draw it properly.

"Life is one great journey. Shame about the destination"
johnway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:34 AM   #6
ChrisD
Raging Pineapples o' Doom

My advice: Start a comic now. Not THE comic, but A comic, just to practice. As a simple example, compare the work of one Ian Jones-Quartey in his masterpiece, RPG World Comic, from start to finish:

EARLY = http://rpgworldcomic.com/d/20001009.html

LATER = http://rpgworldcomic.com/d/20050508.html

As you draw, you'll come across stuff you know you did badly, like folds, or anatomy, or whatever. You should, at the same time, gain experience in finding your own ways to draw these things, and also have a chance to practice your techniques in a real setting.

i.e. you learn a cool new effect and immediately think "Woah, I'm so gonna use that in episode 15!!"

You can also look back and see how far you came. I found it really encouraging in my own comics when I was in a slump, to look back at the first few episodes and see how much better I am now than before.

If you delay drawing a comic until you're proficient with anatomy and folds and perspective, you'll never draw that comic. Because even the amazing artists that I know will look at their apparently pixel-perfect paintings and say "Man my foreshortenning is SO off. And that bicep, it just looks really unnatural".

Go, draw us a nice comic with some cool characters, and then see what advice people give after each page. Then, just apply that advice on the next page you draw, and so on.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:01 AM   #7
Meatloaf
Brett

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 1 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Movie Poster Contest '08 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: New Year '07 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: LEGO Illustration Contest '11 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Video Game Sequential Contest '07 
Total Awards: 5

Send a message via MSN to Meatloaf

I don't know if I agree with starting a comic. Drawing the same characters and stuff could be alright, but trying to do a comic brings up multitudes of other problems.

Instead of getting critique on just anatomy, you'd get it on paneling, script, composition, ect, too. My advice would be to focus on basic skills first, one at a time. Trying to manage learning all of them at once, and trying to better all of them at once is a bit overwhelming.

So learn your basic anatomy. Then maybe try some environments. Then some perspective. Just try to draw often, and better your skills individually.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:54 AM   #8
1mla4e1
[] <-- This is a Box...

Well so far this is ALL good advise even starting a comic but I also agree that it could be a bit overwhelming. Skill wise I used to be good with creatures and demons. I never really expanded or tried new things (MISTAKE). My avatar was the last thing I drew (and that was maybe 2 months after I REALLY stopped drawing with my buddy when I was actually pretty good) and that was maybe 3 or 4 months ago and that was it I just stopped. But lately I have been wanting to get back in to drawing (becasue I used to be a special effects artist in training [I did creature makeup, latex masks, prosthetics, etc] but that dream sort of hit a dead end for me) and this forum motivated me to get back into drawing. So I think the best thing for me to start off with is anatomy, that seams to be the number one thing to look at. I'll pick up a book.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:52 AM   #9
Parody Works
It's a state of mind

Send a message via MSN to Parody Works

Good place to start is Burne Hogarth, especially if your having problems with specific body parts, he's probably written a book about it.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:55 AM   #10
1mla4e1
[] <-- This is a Box...

Lol I actually just got his Giant Dynamic Anatomy Book from a friend. It's the "Revised and Expanded" version. It really brakes down a lot of stuff and I just finished my first attempt at male anatomy. It seams really old school like Greek sculptures or something lol but I suppose muscles are muscles and form is form.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:31 PM   #11
ChrisD
Raging Pineapples o' Doom

Also, try and make sure not to over-focus on your problem areas. In other words, while you may practice hands if hands are your weakness, make sure some of those practices are of a whole body too.

When people fail to do this, they tend to see their drawings as lots of little pieces stuck together, rather than a single scene. So they draw a delicate, perfect hand or face... but it doesn't fit the body.

I'm a staunch advocate of, when practicing, drawing the area AROUND the area you're studying. Simply because everything is connected to everything else, it's not really possible to accurately practice a body part in complete isolation.

I still do find that a comic is a great way to practice, even if you don't upload it for crits. Just because it gives you such a huge variety of situations to work with, and as you become more competent, this also fuels your story.

Like when I developed a simplified way of drawing a muscular back, it gave me the inspiration for The Ex-Terminator, a robot paid to hunt down and kill ex-boyfriends and girlfriends. He had quite a cool intro too - crashed into a granny on a moped and said "Stop! ... I need your boots... your clothes... and your motorcycle". A robotified killer with granny clothes, a tartan skirt and a moped! Classic!

Old 04-22-2008, 06:41 PM   #12
1mla4e1
[] <-- This is a Box...

Haha yeah, I am actually focusing on not focusing lol. I tend to practice one thing and then it wont fit the rest just like you said. I always drew the shoulders up so the rest of the body (when I try to draw the res) looks like crap. But maybe once I get a little more comfortable I will start on a screw around comic just to see what I may encounter.

-- M A T T
Old 04-22-2008, 06:45 PM   #13
RobotCat
Best combination ever

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 1 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 2 
Total Awards: 2

Take a figure drawing class at your local community college.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:10 PM   #14
1mla4e1
[] <-- This is a Box...

I was actually thinking about taking some classes I am just not sure If I will have the time.

-- M A T T
Old 04-23-2008, 06:13 AM   #15
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

the best thing to do is to study art books like burne hogarth absorb all the relevant details and practice it every so often or when you feel like it. Make sure to use rivenphoenix's vids for measurements to tighten up drawing.

Incidently i've never ever attended art classes when i had the choice to choose it as a subject in my high school.

"Life is one great journey. Shame about the destination"
johnway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:49 AM   #16
1mla4e1
[] <-- This is a Box...

Yeah, I never took art back in highschool becasue first of all 80% of high school art teachers dont know art for crap, and secondly they want you to do it their way to make them feel like they know art. I wanted the freedom to explore and do what I wanted to do becasue well you know, thast art. But thanks, I have already got one of Hogarth's books and I have already got started with my practicing, I just hope I can stick to it lol.

-- M A T T