Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > GALLERY > Art Critique
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2014, 10:12 PM   #1
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 
Total Awards: 1

Default Rapunzel

First one of the bunch!
Coming from a very strict household, Rapunzel acted out as soon as she was able. She figured, since her hair was one of her more defining features, that she would shave half of her head in order to really get on her mom’s nerves. She went out and got her nose pierced, too! And she’s resorting to vandalism!
She enjoys Punk music, torn stockings, and Vans high tops.

...which one should I do next?

Last edited by Grieverjoe : 05-30-2014 at 08:51 PM.
Grieverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:46 PM   #2
hestercastro
Pre-Karbonite

nice art work..
hestercastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:43 AM   #3
Lamb
christmas squid

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Hunters Contest '12 Boss Battle Contest - 2nd place:  - Issue reason: Had that cute crit glyph 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: LEGO Illustration Contest '11 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 
Total Awards: 4

Send a message via ICQ to Lamb

Joe, this is a really great idea, but why aren't you incorporating what you learned from doing your studies and such? Even though this is cartoony, color theory and volume may still apply.

The sleeves on her forearms particularly break the volume that should be there. The painting becomes flat.

Another issue would be the face. The nose especially seems to be pointing in a different way.

Enough bitching though, I liked your Rapunzel design a lot. Great job on the hair. You managed to capture the essence of the character.

I wanted to look up the design sheet on your deviantart to pick which one you should do next. But then I found this:

It's perfect!

Do the one with the dog, perhaps?

http://chronoray.tumblr.com/
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:50 AM   #4
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 

Hah, man, that's an old one. That one was used as a loading screen in the Ragnarok server I used to play, way back in '08 (I won first prize. )

Two reasons why I didn't employ what I've been learning/studying is:
I tried to keep it very simple, like the official Disney artwork for the character, with the simple color scheme and soft airbrush-like shading. The other reason is I rushed through the coloring. Bad on me, I know. I'm working on it. :| See, I just now realized I left out the eye-shine, and forgot to color in a button on her jacket. Must fix that later.
Definite thanks for the critique, though! My wife's favorite Disney princess is Belle (with the dog, so I may do that one next). I think my daughter is leaning towards Tinkerbell, which I didn't include in this project.

Personally, I prefer Mufasa, but he's not a princess...
Old 06-01-2014, 06:04 AM   #5
Meatloaf
Brett

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 1 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Movie Poster Contest '08 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: New Year '07 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: LEGO Illustration Contest '11 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Video Game Sequential Contest '07 
Total Awards: 5

Send a message via MSN to Meatloaf

The skirt looks off to me- its like you're looking at it from slightly below, but everything else slightly above. I feel like it should be curving down instead of up.

I feel like the shaved part of her head could be less stubbley looking haha. I mean, when people do that its usually just REALLY short. This looks like she took a razor blade and missed a bunch of spots.

Her chest also looks a little concave because that cast shadow of the vest is strong.

I like the idea though, and her facial expression is well done.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:20 PM   #6
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatloaf
The skirt looks off to me- its like you're looking at it from slightly below, but everything else slightly above. I feel like it should be curving down instead of up.

I feel like the shaved part of her head could be less stubbley looking haha. I mean, when people do that its usually just REALLY short. This looks like she took a razor blade and missed a bunch of spots.

Her chest also looks a little concave because that cast shadow of the vest is strong.

I like the idea though, and her facial expression is well done.
Ah, man you are absolutely correct about the skirt and chest. I will fix that.
As far as the patchy shaved head, let's go with "took a razor blade and missed a bunch of spots."
Thanks!
Old 06-02-2014, 05:30 AM   #7
Anyte
The Unsmiling

Quote:
This looks like she took a razor blade and missed a bunch of spots.
She's SO over being a princess.

The skirt looked off to me too but I couldn't quite put my finger on why.

I love it.
Anyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:59 AM   #8
jeco
Industriously apathetic

You should shift the axis of her shoulders opposite to that of her hips. When people stand with their weight mostly supported on one foot it causes that side of the hips to shift upward. If you give the shoulders the opposite axis it makes for a more balanced and natural looking pose. This is called "contrapposto" or counterpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grieverjoe
Ah, man you are absolutely correct about the skirt and chest. I will fix that.
Thanks!
Try to keep a horizon in mind, even when you are just drawing a figure. It will help you establish stuff like that. A plane that is parallel to the ground plane and bellow the horizon will be viewed from above, those that are above the horizon will be viewed from below.

Sketchbook
jeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:34 PM   #9
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase

That's some awesome critique, Jeco, thanks!
I'm currently working on the Belle drawing, and I put a horizon this time. I think that's gonna help me get the perspective right.
I think the pose works. To me, it looks like she's ready to throw the brick in her hand, almost tensing for it. There's no contraposto, since both the shoulders and hips are angled the same.
Thanks again.