Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > COMMUNITY > Art & Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2014, 11:34 AM   #1
parlor123456
Karbonite

Default Art careers...

I had a this question lingering for a while and I thought I would ask you guys . Recently I started to think where do I want to go with my art and realised that I don't know an art career that would fit me. So I wanted to know would there be away for a person to make money from art without some specific category. Can I make money from art if I just get really good at it but don't want to become a concept artist or a charecter designer or something like that?
parlor123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:27 PM   #2
Lamb
christmas squid

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Hunters Contest '12 Boss Battle Contest - 2nd place:  - Issue reason: Had that cute crit glyph 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: LEGO Illustration Contest '11 
Total Awards: 4

Send a message via ICQ to Lamb

You can do loads of stuff, and decide for yourself which path is best for you. I am mostly doing just freelance, but I hate webdesign, so that's definitely not something I'd want to do day to day. I am very interested in making comic now, which is different from concept art... in a way. So yes, basically you can make money from doing a bit from everything. But I wouldn't survive if I relied on that as my sole income. But then again, I am not a very good artist to begin with. So if you become really, really good, you can do anything, and the jobs will keep coming. It is rather hard, because virtually no one will hire you to do the widest variety of things, this doesn't mean you cannot switch career paths, but if you get employed, you will most likely be doing one sort of art at a time.

http://chronoray.tumblr.com/
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:56 PM   #3
Dwee dee(3d)
x, y, z

Just learn to code and make some games with your art. Post an app and make some cash :/
Or get real friendly and people will pay you to draw stuff for them. For some reason people love being drawn, and talk about who drew them or their cat. You might want to get into the art scene where you live to get in touch with what people like where you are.
What I'm trying to say is that to make cash in art, you have to be creative in more ways than one. It's not something you do on auto pilot unless you really have what you do figured out and are way ahead of the competition.

My .obj format 3d models for learning blender3d.
Dwee dee(3d) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:50 AM   #4
Meatloaf
Brett

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 1 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Movie Poster Contest '08 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: New Year '07 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: LEGO Illustration Contest '11 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Video Game Sequential Contest '07 
Total Awards: 5

Send a message via MSN to Meatloaf

I feel like that depends on what you mean by "make money". You can freelance small jobs and make some side cash, but I feel like it's inaccurate if you're expecting a substantial amount without it being a "job". Also depends on what you mean by art. If you mean painting/illustration/ect, then that seems less likely (from my experience, anything I've seen while looking for work in Chicago, is mostly graphic or web design). But I know there is a market in commissioned work, some of our veteran members do well for themselves through commissions. You have to get good and really put yourself out there though, be an active presence in whatever community.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:57 PM   #5
Aarpie!
Karbonite

Send a message via Yahoo to Aarpie! Send a message via Skype™ to Aarpie!

You can be an artist and make money. And you might even get good enough to where you're selling your pieces for thousands of dollars. But here's the thing: Art goes in and out of fashion. One day, you're the man. Everyone is screaming for your art and throwing money at you. Next year, this Pablo Picasso guy shows up and you're yesterday's news. The money isn't consistent.

It's the difference between making money and making a living. One of the reasons that so many artists go into game dev or concept design is because it's steady money, it's a weekly paycheck in the bank, guaranteed. There's a reason why the term is "starving artist". It's not an easy career choice. It's also one of the reasons you've got so many basement illustrators like me working a 9 to 5 day job and trying to scrape together time the rest of the day between family stuff and home chores to art and get a decent portfolio together

If you're passionate about it, though, it's worth the effort. But make no mistake: art isn't an easy career choice. At all. It's just rewarding as all get out

Aarpie! Art website
Aarpie! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:45 PM   #6
parlor123456
Karbonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarpie!
You can be an artist and make money. And you might even get good enough to where you're selling your pieces for thousands of dollars. But here's the thing: Art goes in and out of fashion. One day, you're the man. Everyone is screaming for your art and throwing money at you. Next year, this Pablo Picasso guy shows up and you're yesterday's news. The money isn't consistent.

It's the difference between making money and making a living. One of the reasons that so many artists go into game dev or concept design is because it's steady money, it's a weekly paycheck in the bank, guaranteed. There's a reason why the term is "starving artist". It's not an easy career choice. It's also one of the reasons you've got so many basement illustrators like me working a 9 to 5 day job and trying to scrape together time the rest of the day between family stuff and home chores to art and get a decent portfolio together

If you're passionate about it, though, it's worth the effort. But make no mistake: art isn't an easy career choice. At all. It's just rewarding as all get out
Thank you so much for the answer. I agree with everything you have said. Now it is time to get back to drawing !
parlor123456 is offline   Reply With Quote