Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > GALLERY > Art Critique
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2007, 07:28 PM   #1
KaenLogos
Kinky

Send a message via AIM to KaenLogos Send a message via MSN to KaenLogos
Default Frazetta tribute

Figured what the hell...

So I have been working on this character and storyling for quite some time. I decided to use my boy Volgin here to sculp for my final project in you guessed it...scultping class. Since I like many many others draw alot of inspiration from the man Frank Frazetta himself I styled this peice alot after one of his most famous paintings : http://home.austin.rr.com/deeperblack/death_dealer.jpg

Anyhoo please bear in mind this is just a pencil layout for a sculpt im about to start working on...hence bad composition yada yada yada..

KaenLogos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:49 PM   #2
majoflosa
Karbonite

Daaammmnnn!!! That is just spectacular!
majoflosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:11 PM   #3
ShimmeringSword
KarbideRanger

Very nice work Kaen. It has a lot of appeal.
My only crit would be that the horses legs look a bit short.

Keep this up.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:27 PM   #4
rahurricane18
Lurker Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to rahurricane18 Send a message via Yahoo to rahurricane18

Never ceasing to amaze...good luck on that sculpture...thats something I've never been able to grasp
Old 05-01-2007, 11:31 PM   #5
kweckduck
King of the pond

Send a message via MSN to kweckduck

The hand seems kinda small and wierd because of that fur bracelet thing. The transition between the arm and the hand seems off.

The foot looks a it wierd too, but that might be because of the that fur thing covering the back of it.

Otherwise: awsome
Old 05-02-2007, 01:21 AM   #6
harletron
ink wielder

Send a message via MSN to harletron

ah kaen there is nothing wrong with this i dont care wat anyone says haha this is amazing if only there was an unnecessarily huge weapon, wud have been the icing on the cake for me i think your tribute is justified cya later dude
harletron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:35 AM   #7
KaenLogos
Kinky

Harletron- The original sketch had him weilding a battle axe. Im still fleshing out the character and since he is able to weild rather demonic powers im not entirely sold on giving him a mortal weapon just yet. I think I will give him one in the final sculpt though just for aesthetic purposes.

As for the rest of the pic it has problems out of the ass. I didnt reference enough or plan enough, just felt like cranking it out to get the idea out there.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:16 AM   #8
RedWngBlckBrd
Karbonite

Wow- What are you going to use to sculpt this?

I also think the hands look small.

Some horse crits- you need to study the anatomy of the horse hock (back leg "knee") it is analogous to the heel of the human foot- so it bends the opposite way of a knee and there is a pronounced ball (human heel) on the backside of the joint. Attached to that ball is the massive tendon which gives him his driving power. The ball of the hock extends past the box of the joint- so the tendon can be very pronounced.

http://www.best-horse-photos.com/ima...ion_Horses.jpg
It's VERY exaggerated in this photo of a baby horse- but I think you'll get the idea.

Also- the front of a horse's chest has two big breasty muscles- they originate at a point below the throat and are kind of teardrop shaped wrapping under to the belly inside the front legs. It's a very pretty form as well as a very macho on a beast like this- get that in there.

The reins- you need one on each side of the neck.

The bit- you might consider a "leverage style" bit for a beast like this...
google image search for
curb bit
spade bit
pelham bit (2 sets of reins)

Most war horses wear a leverage type of bit which allows the warrior to use a weapon in one hand and lightly control the horse with the other.

The feet of the rider should be more in a flat standing stance- or an hyperflexed heel down position. Toes down is poor riding form. Also the strap which holds the stirrup- it needs to go to the center of that bar over the foot. I know how totally hard it is to get a rider on the back of a horse- it's a very difficult thing and you have done a really good job! My only comment on that positioning is that his crotch is basicly level with the horses' spine- typical war type saddle gear is going to raise the rider at least 2 inches up off the horses' back, the saddle and pad will be thicker.

Saddle needs to be held on with a girth... many girths are held on with multiple buckles- you can draw some more of your BEAUTIFUL buckles! A very COOL military saddle is the famout US Cavalry mcclellan- http://www.cowboyshowcase.com/images...mcclellan8.jpg

The neck collar straps... would be cooler if it actually DID something. If you connected it to the saddle it would be something which would help stabalize the saddle. Also sometimes there is a strap that runs from the base of the throat between the horses' front legs and connects to the girth. http://www.cowboyshowcase.com/images/gear/bc.jpg

You may find this presentation VERY inspirational.
http://www.imh.org/museum/history.php?pageid=9
RedWngBlckBrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:28 AM   #9
KaenLogos
Kinky

F'n awesome post Red, really helps alot
Old 05-02-2007, 11:11 AM   #10
the real bamph
The God of Disproportion!

Send a message via MSN to the real bamph

briliant shading, that's all i've got to add. The fur texture on the lower part of the horse legs and the dealer's hair came out very nice as well!
Old 05-02-2007, 11:43 AM   #11
RedWngBlckBrd
Karbonite

Well you hit me at three points of caring... sculpture, horses and Frazetta... so how do you plan to sculpt this- with what?
RedWngBlckBrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 12:56 PM   #12
KaenLogos
Kinky

Gonna use good ol super sculpey, mixed with plenty of premo. Not exact on the dimensions but I figure with Volgin mounted on the horse im lookin at about 13'' or so. Ive done one warm up sculpture that ill post when I can get my hands on a good digi camera. I have nothing but an utter love for doing it, insanely fun and relaxing. I plan on doing alot more study sketches before hand, ill probably start the actual sculpt by the end of this week though.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:59 PM   #13
srilyk

Send a message via ICQ to srilyk Send a message via AIM to srilyk Send a message via MSN to srilyk Send a message via Yahoo to srilyk

I can't wait to see the sculpture! RW posted all the crits you could, methinks!
srilyk is offline   Reply With Quote