Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > GALLERY > Sketchbooks
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2016, 10:11 AM   #581
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Hi guys apologies for the late reply thought i might get more of the pic done before i posted replies.

Well, when i say more, its barely anything as time constraints and the challenge of the background has reduced the process to a crawl and sapped all the enthusiasm to finish this pic.

below is the image atm. The background has far too many tangents for me to draw the background properly. I did entertain on the idea to make my own background but i was a bit stumped and thus didn't. I think this image has run its course as i don't think i can get any more out of this.

Ok. Now to replies.

Quote:
I've noticed that in some of your work, when you stop thinking in paint (light volumes) and start thinking in line, you switch to pure white and pure black outlines and highlights, which are often too harsh for the image. Try having a dedicated dark color that isn't black in order to lessen the outline effect, and only use black as a conscious choice to draw the eye.

Metal reflections look lovely by the way.
I think it usually happens when i'm rendering and make a mess of it. i usually whip out the lines to gain some control. I do use the black lines especially for metal plates and such to show they overlapped and use white to show reflection on the edges of the object. I think its something i picked up in the early stages of my drawings. Especially when i draw scratches and such.

"Life is one great journey. Shame about the destination"

Last edited by johnway : 12-21-2016 at 11:41 AM.
johnway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 04:46 PM   #582
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 
Total Awards: 1

How about using a dark gray, or even a dark red/brown/blue when doing sketches? It'll help get you out of the habit of using pure black.
This last study looks really nice, man. You're improving nicely. Keep it up.
Grieverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 02:48 PM   #583
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Hi guys, hope you had a wonderful christmas. I spent most of it doing the most christian thing possible: replaying doom3 and saving both Super Earth in Helldivers and plain old Earth in Xcom2.

But i digress, i promised that i would sink my teeth into something large art wise and so far i'm struggling. I did do some sketches over christmas day and boxing day but frankly they were crap. In the last few days, i've being trying to draw something original and making little progress. I blame it being creatively bankrupt.

I've tried to just push through it by sketching and hoping inspiration would hit. In reality i've been flip flopping over ideas such as poses:

In most cases, i just did the body and played with the arms:

Old 12-29-2016, 02:53 PM   #584
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Ok, so nothing exciting and i wanted to do something more interesting more dynamic. But i seem to be struggling to find idea for dynamic poses and such. In the end all i could come up with were these 2. (No prizes which one i was more interested with...)

With so few ideas i have little choice but to get stuck in with what i've got. I'm not going to get stuck into them yet. After October's debacle, i might finalise my designs first before getting stuck into a big picture like this.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:01 PM   #585
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 
Total Awards: 1

When getting stuck in ruts like this one, doing thumbnails helps a lot. You sketch out the idea at a smaller scale, without committing to a big piece and without wasting too much time.
As far as being creatively-drained, there's nothing wrong with taking a break to recharge your batteries. I like playing videogames, reading books, and watching movies. Going out with friends helps, too, as they can sometimes give you a much-needed shot of inspiration.
That being said, I think every one of these sketches you've posted has promise, but I especially like the last one.
Grieverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 02:59 AM   #586
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Hi Grieverjoe Hope you had a good christmas! Part of the problem is that i don't have ideas to even come up with thumbnails. Admittedly, these aren't technically thumbnails as i was doing some practice at the same time. But i was drawing poses to see what inspiration would hit. Looking at other peoples artwork (especially good ones) Does NOT inspire me. In fact i get immensely jealous, demotivated and give up. I appreciate the artwork, just that the artwork taunts me like: "This is great right? Too bad you will never get this good in your life time!". Unless of course i can purchase it on gumroad and harness their artistic powers...

i thought about drawing fan art, but that's asking for trouble IMO.

Old 12-31-2016, 06:33 AM   #587
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Some more work this weekend. haven't started drawing as i'm coming up with ideas for the character (should right a text document of my thoughts and ideas tbh.) and was coming up with ideas for clothing.

Since i had no ideas and i read somewhere in imaginefx that they used Alchemy for clothing designs, i thought i might take a stab at that. Did produce some interesting ideas:

hmm... nice dress ideas. I could have played around with it more with some more features, but unfortunately there's no undo button and i don't understand how the bloody save feature works in alchemy. Everytime i press save nothing works and it saves to pdfs?!. In the end i had to use the snipping tool and stick them here.

Now can i try and make some boots and other stuff? Maybe a staff would be nice...

Old 01-07-2017, 06:51 AM   #588
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

More weekend work. We're nearly got the lines sorted and design almost complete. I've hit a dilemma concerning pouches for the character. Below is the realistic one.

I feel that somehow its missing the well travelled look and had hoped to give the user a ruck sack but the big problem is her cape. i wanted to use this one but it just isn't plausible to use. For backpacks to work the straps would have to go through the cape itself.

Of course i could explain this away by either:

A) There are holes in the cape to facilitate backpacks! Except that would make it a crap cape and we can't see it anyway so visually it looks odd.

b) The front straps is how the backpack and belt is holstered together, But this is impractical and uncomfortable. Most rucksacks straps are joined at both ends

c) "**** it. I don't care." it looks cool. But if i notice it, someone else will call me out on it and it simply won't wash.

Incidentally, below is the seams/dress design.

i could discuss more about the placement of the sword (also subject to change). I kept with the position as i felt it helped with composition of the figure. I opted for a slashing blade as thrusting/chopping weapons would require more strength. Something i doubt a wizard would have opted. the staff doubles as a magic and physical weapon so she can defend herself when casting or keeping people at bay.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:24 PM   #589
djizomdjinn
night painter

Instead of holes, you could have slits in the cape that'd also let it billow more.

Or instead of a pack, you could have a satchel / messenger bag. Not awfully realistic, but it fulfills the visual purpose of "traveler's bag".
djizomdjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:30 PM   #590
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Hi Djizomdjinn. I believe I have drawn a satchel in both of these pics. I did entertain on the notion of having slits or odd shaped cape but i didn't go with it in the end. I might have a look at it again as currently i'm stuck trying to figure out painting technique and yesterday's exercise hadn't worked out as i had hoped.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:45 AM   #591
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Time for a mid week special. apologies for sunday. No updates because i was practicing some painting techniques and they hadn't worked out.

Anyway, i was cleaning my room and getting it ready for my new pc. I came across 2 pics that i drew back when i was in year 9 (so 2000?). i drew them for a show and tell thing that would influence grades and of course i chose drawing because that was something i could talk about that might have been interesting.

the influences at the time were RTS games and Games workshop. Normally i never got to finish my drawings because my dad would simply write all over my pictures doing maths or writing notes. Generally, he blamed me for the issues because if i really cared about the pic, i would have stashed it somewhere safe.

Generally this was the skill level for much of my time before i had the internet. I was quite content to be at this skill level as i was better than my friends and mastery of drawing was still looked like some black art.

Apologies if they're a bit big.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Hopefully sunday, we can do some actual painting. Although i doubt i'll finish it before my pc arrives. Which is next wednesday.

Old 01-15-2017, 05:10 AM   #592
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

more weekend work. I had hopes to start on the figure today but i think i needed a background first. Its not complete, still need to add details and such.

A greater concern i can't seem to make a start on the figure. I don't know why. I can't get going on the shading nor lighting. i might switch to greyscale and than go over via overlay. But whatever it is, its crushed my enthusiasm for this pic. i don't know if i can even bother to continue with this tbh.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:01 AM   #593
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

weekend and more work. I had hoped to carry on my previous picture, but no matter how much i tried to work on the figure, the results were terrible and i had to concede defeat and that annoyed me no end.

So i've started another one in the hopes to regain some motivation and at least complete something for the start of 2017.

Its still wip, but i have no idea where this is going background wise and thats subject to change. I just hope that i can come up with a decent process and take my art work to the next level.

Old 01-28-2017, 07:07 AM   #594
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

more work on last weekends pic. this time its the face and a bit of tidying up. i spent nearly 3 hours on just the face alone as i worked on getting it done. Its still not done, i need to make adjustments to the face shape a bit more.

After painting over the lines, the face has widened significantly and we've lost some of the character from the line art. Perhaps i need to go through the line art again with a finer line before painting it?

Anyway, more tomorrow. hopefully we can finish the character and maybe start on a background.

After that we'll generally add some lighting and a few other bits and pieces. until the background and light sources are in place, i won't be able to develop the character further.

Old 01-28-2017, 05:14 PM   #595
Steasaurus
rawr

Is this one for anything in particular or just a personal challenge?
Old 01-29-2017, 12:45 AM   #596
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

hi Steasaurus nah this is for my personal amusement atm. I never really do anything for commission as i don't feel like my skills are up to scratch at this point. i think theres a curse where i do ok one week (or one piece i draw) and in the next week it goes horribly wrong.

i sense that the figure will turn out ok, but when we hit the background, proper colored lighting and adding the post production effects, we're going to see this suffer... Its already looking ropey in some places already.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:58 AM   #597
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

I had hoped to do more. But my dad was making adjustments with my desk (using a hacksaw and a powered metal saw) to cut a whole to allow my pc to fit underneath my table.

So i didn't have much time nor did i have much time to come up with any ideas for the background. but the figure is more or less done. Maybe the sleeve needs a bit of work. But i haven't merged all the layers yet. I'll probably work on the background before i truly commit to it.

Additionally, something we should all be doing, i've flipped the picture horizontally to see where the imperfections are. Not so magical now is it?

Old 02-04-2017, 07:03 AM   #598
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

More weekend work and a very proud moment where i finally complete a picture WITH a background. Ok, admittedly the city is a bit crap, but i'm counting this as a victory of sorts.

I was practicing with lighting techniques using all sorts of hard/vivid layers, linear dodge add and numerous layers for ambient lighting (there is actually 3, one for the orange city skylights, the phone and one for the purple sky) I think i maybe onto something. Provided i know the light sources.

In the end i didn't bother trying to fix anatomy issues and the cartoon like eyes as i didn't really have any ideas how to improve them properly. So i will probably study that a bit more where possible.

Old 02-19-2017, 05:27 AM   #599
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Apologies for last week. I was practicing drawing eyes and wasn't much to look at. Plus i was trying my hand on sketchup 2017 to see if i could use that to draw my landscapes.

I've been working on eyes again this week and i'm starting to get annoyed now. I seem to be getting no where with this, i went back to doing just line art of the shape of the eye as that looked like i was where i was having most trouble.

But i suspect its not entirely the eye itself causing the problems. More like the stuff around it. Specifically the lower eye lid and how it blends into the cheek and getting the shadows around it sorted. Eye brows as well.

Old 02-25-2017, 06:47 AM   #600
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

More weekend practice. I didn't want to do more practicing as it was getting boring and i was itching for another big piece.

Besides it was the 600th post. Time for something special. Probably.

Anyway, i wanted to do a steampunk inspired pic and got on with it. Below are the original under lines. Oh yeah, some NSFW for reals this time.

Spoiler:

Dress was pretty much completed below. We're missing a few bits and pieces like gloves and patterns and the like but that can come later.

Spoiler:

I felt something was missing from this picture the cleavage area needed something... i thought to leave it as it was because i could add more jewelry and such, but at the same time, it felt empty there. So i drew up additional layers and added some lines for some reason. Not sure whether that helps tbh.

So what next? I was thinking maybe finalizing the clothes and maybe add a demonic twist to it; a steampunk, demon girl who is some sort of police detective?

Maybe the detective bit might be a bit lost without some sort of action pose but hey, could be something.

Or... i could just leave it at steampunk girl. Without the steampunk.