Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > GALLERY > Sketchbooks
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2015, 05:40 PM   #441
Lamb
christmas squid

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Hunters Contest '12 Boss Battle Contest - 2nd place:  - Issue reason: Had that cute crit glyph 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: LEGO Illustration Contest '11 
Total Awards: 4

Send a message via ICQ to Lamb

Wow. The light and materials are amazing, bro!

http://chronoray.tumblr.com/
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:36 PM   #442
RobotCat
Best combination ever

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 1 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 2 
Total Awards: 2

Yeah, I feel like you just made a huge jump in progress. The colors and lighting are really well established. You should try to fine tune it and see how far you get.
RobotCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:46 AM   #443
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Hi Guys. Apologies for the late reply and many thanks for the positive feedback. i had thought about fine tuning the picture but during the painting process i was struggling to get the harsh blue lights to get a sense of glow to them as was in the reference picture. I had hoped to do a better job of the face but the reference photo didn't offer much information as to what was happening around the eye so in the end i left it.

I had plans to capitalize on my recent achievements and do another reference before i realised i bit off more than i could chew and promptly scrapped the picture and doing something from imagination again.

I have a rough sketch done. But what am i going to do with it? no idea. might be another armor design or something.

"Life is one great journey. Shame about the destination"
johnway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 05:45 AM   #444
Nmn
yo sup?

I've been watchin yah sketchbook Johnway, you're making huge progress lately, especially it appears you're feelin more comfortable w/ what you do, rather than technically worrying about getting stuff looking right, which I believe you'll find a relief. Keep them comin' bro.
Old 10-24-2015, 07:23 AM   #445
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

weekend work and we decide to make some use with the pic on friday.

i was hoping to make a scifi Knight of sorts. A sort of loud/imposing/extremist figure for purity etc

For the time being, i'm making the basic armor the legs are still a WIP (it needs severe correcting) but the design on the whole is rather dubious atm.

i hope to finish the pic with power armor lights, a wreath of swords, various ornamental stuff and a cloak.

edit: i've made some changes since posting this the flank pads have been lowered and the armor on the knee joint has been corrected. Sort of.

Last edited by johnway : 10-24-2015 at 08:00 AM.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:21 AM   #446
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

More work on yesterdays knight thing.

The more i look at this the more i think that i've messed up. Part of the problem is that it looks far too much like medieval armor as opposed to sci fi and i may have used too much function rather than form.

Still haven't finished, we'll probably adjust the shading, darken shadows, redo the decorations, work the sword, a background but i'm starting to suspect that its beyond salvaging.

Old 10-26-2015, 04:22 PM   #447
Steasaurus
rawr

NICE!
I'm looking forward to how this progresses further. Are the blue bits going to be lights?
Old 10-27-2015, 11:36 AM   #448
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Hi Streasaurus. A part of me wants to continue to fix things and a large part of me is thinking of actually starting again or dropping the entire picture as i think the general basics of the image don't feel right. Makes me wonder whether i could take the design of the armor and make something interesting? I had an idea of the knight fighting off a demon incursion in some modern city street with chaos everywhere.

Here are a list of things i thought need to be done with this picture:

1. tonal range needs correcting. Its far too flat. I need to move towards much greater contrast, so maybe another Paint over is needed (Might as well start again...).

2. Redesign of the armor. The leg design just isn't doing it for me. especially the groin area. I saw the problem after the initial post and didn't attempt to fix it..

3. weapon needs to be designed.

4.background of sorts.

5. More details. To lift things to the next level. To answer your question, the blue bits were supposed to be more energy for the exoskeleton but would double as lights for the armor.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:56 PM   #449
Surpasser
Hmhm

Hello!

Popping in to say that I disagree with you about the design. I like it.

What could improve? Before checking the values for ideal contrast, adding even more detail, and a background, I would go back and take a look at what you had with the initial sketch of the male body. Somewhere along the way of adding parts to the suit of armor, you lost some key strokes that would have helped give your final product as much depth and sense of volume as your initial sketch.

Just take a look at the line that runs down his sternum, in relation to the one that defines the outside of his right (our left) pec muscle. In your sketch, the distance between them is shorter than that of the right pec. This foreshortening was consistent through his entire body, from the clavicle down to the feet. That was good.

Be careful when you go in to add detail. Never neglect to view the structure you are building as a whole. Why draw the body underneath the armor before drawing the actual armor if you're just going to do whatever you want, and ignore the underlying structure?

I like to think of how the armor or clothing will fit or wrap around the body to help me make up the design. Maybe you could try that, and see if it helps.

Anyway, I wouldn't scratch the design. Maybe you could try to repaint it?
Surpasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 04:40 PM   #450
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Hi Surpasser! Now that you mention it, i certainly did not notice that the perspective, the angle of the clothing had changed completely. I think i was too transfixed with design than keeping things in perspective.

it probably explains why the armor looks a bit on the wide side. The plates below the pectorial would have hugged the body following the armor external oblique and serratus anterior muscle.

I wonder if we could also make the arms more interesting? rather than having the sword being pointing straight down, perhaps he could be cradling the weapon (so its at an angle) and the the left arm holding up a trophy/relic/head?. Hmm, might play around with a wooden pole to see what pose i could get.

I have 2 days off from thursday, so i have 4 days to come up with something. Hopefully.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:08 AM   #451
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

On A/L so more work. Spent the day redesigning the knight armor and getting stuff right.

It's looking better with perspective sort of fixed. My problems with design so far is to try and make things more futuristic or sci fi. the helmet and the arms are still very vague as to how to proceed with this.

Looking at other sci fi artisits i still don't quite get how to make my one look more futuristic. perhaps i'll study what goes into modern helmets and use squares or blocks or something.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:32 AM   #452
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

More work with most of the basic elements done, its time to work on final Over Painting. Its looking ok so far, especially since i was attempting some hue shifting to see if its doing anything for me. But i had to stop as i suddenly began seeing consistencies in picking colours and the more i kept trying to paint the other areas the more messy and didn't feel right. it doesn't help that i'm now a bit clueless as to how to paint it properly beyond the current areas.

So we'll stop here today and prey that tomorrow i get my groove back and it all works. I'm hoping to change the pose slightly so rather than the sword being stuck in the ground, its going to be off the ground in a slight guard pose. But lets worry about that once i get the Op sorted out and soft out the tangents off the left arm.

Old 10-31-2015, 03:38 AM   #453
RobotCat
Best combination ever

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 1 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 2 

I definitely like the new version better. I did a quick redline, hopefully it'll be helpful:

1. Try to have your armor follow the base form of your body. It makes for a better design, but also you have to take into account the thickness of the armor. It should sit a bit farther out from the body even at the thinnest parts.
2. The arm is too long, if you fully extend it, his hands reach his knees.
3. The curvature at the middle and the end of the lower arm armor is inconsistent.
4. The plate is too flat, based on the size of his lower back his abdomen should actually be in the space of where the packs on his abs are. Try pushing them out a bit more. You need to make the chest piece bigger too. I think try incorporating your original design into it.
5. His hand is dislocated from his arm.
6. The perspective on his waist is different from his upper legs (based on the packs on his legs).
7. Lower legs need to be longe rand the legs should be bent a bit more to form S-curve with his hips and upper body.
Old 10-31-2015, 03:56 PM   #454
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

more work on the knight picture. having taking in Robocats advice, i see a hell of a lot of things that were wrong with the picture. Most of it appears to have occured during the sketching stages. Perspective was all wrong that it would require starting again to rectify.

Perspective was never really taking into account when drawing. Certainly not during roughs when i used sculpting technique to get a design across. I'll have to move on from the mistake and remember next time. But getting freehand perspective right is tricky and tedious at times.

Anyway, we did what we could to correct what we can. namely the arms, legs and the pose itself. Didn't correct the armor as such, but i want a bit of fun once we've finished the painting. I want a fresh lick of paint or something to make it pop out rather than being a grey suit.

Old 11-01-2015, 07:28 AM   #455
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Weekend work just to finish off the armor. We still need to design the sword and also a background of sorts. Next weeks project i suppose.

Old 11-07-2015, 05:49 AM   #456
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

More weekend work. I had hoped to do a background but i'm going to have to concede defeat. It was proving far too difficult to do a landscape when you've created the character.

its probably something i'll need to work on, along with perspectives and material study. I'm not going to learn anything going over the same ground again.

Old 11-07-2015, 10:21 PM   #457
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnway
I'm not going to learn anything going over the same ground again.
Amen, brother.
When doing backgrounds, something that seems to help me is to set up the background/scene first, then place the character second. Of course, I'm still learning how to do backgrounds and scenes with characters in them, so take it with a grain of salt.
Grieverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 05:25 AM   #458
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grieverjoe
Amen, brother.
When doing backgrounds, something that seems to help me is to set up the background/scene first, then place the character second. Of course, I'm still learning how to do backgrounds and scenes with characters in them, so take it with a grain of salt.
Part of the problem was getting the colors to work properly. Doing the background first makes it easier to select colors for the lighting, reflective lights and values to work for the person. Its much harder vice versa unless it was black and white.

Originally i had just plans to just draw the figure and work on design, but when i wanted to make a more complete picture but that's when i realized it wasn't going to happen.

So, i'll be doing some more landscapes and such. But my problem is coming up with an idea that takes both background and figure into consideration.

Old 11-21-2015, 02:58 PM   #459
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Apologies for last week and the long post. I was trying to look for info on drawing scenery and trying to get my head around the whole process.

Looking at various artists that made me stop and take a look, i realized that most of the digital arts used matte painting. Unfortunately that's not what i'm looking for but it seems like i can't get away from it and when i try to look at reference pictures, i seem to be missing a few answers to paint them.

So for the time being, i'm still looking at youtube vids for landscapes and scenery hoping to come across some golden nugget of info that will make me tweak.

Ok, picture of the day.

Although i used mostly the default round, soft and chalk, the textures are from matte painting /texture brushes i found on the internet. I really need to move away from those so i can create something rather than just stamping it down. I might use it for minor details like the rock texture as i haven't come up with decent solution to rendering that out effectively.

Old 11-21-2015, 03:44 PM   #460
RobotCat
Best combination ever

Awards Showcase

The lighting and atmosphere look pretty good. I think the foreground rocks can go even darker though. I'd recommend using a square or rhombus bush for landscapes instead of the round brush, to give everything a more 'jagged' look instead of the smooth look you get from the round brush, which would cut down on your need for texturing everything later.

Also, level of detail should be finer in and more blurred in the background, however in your piece the area the wires feel finer in detail than the foreground, which looks a bit odd.