Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > COMMUNITY > Art & Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2007, 12:02 PM   #1
Ghost Roller77
Karbonite

Default Dynamic Poses

hey guys,
i looked through my work and realized none of my drawings have dynamic poses. they are all straight forward. any advice about creating dynamic poses would be great!
Ghost Roller77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 01:43 PM   #2
RetroTorque
Karbonite

The best way to get good at drawing poses is to draw poses, and if you need a little help, use reference.

What I did to get better at poses was to draw lots and lots of little tiny figures in different poses in my sketchbook, and did my best to capture the feel of the pose first and foremost.
RetroTorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:22 PM   #3
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

there is burne hogarths book for dynamic poses which suggest you impose various solutions to make it dynamic. If you want more energy in drawings, try getting the book Force. More for animators, neverless useful and interesting to read.

"Life is one great journey. Shame about the destination"
johnway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:56 PM   #4
Broody
Unwitting bystander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Roller77
hey guys,
i looked through my work and realized none of my drawings have dynamic poses. they are all straight forward. any advice about creating dynamic poses would be great!
There's quite a bit of good advice on drawing dramatic poses in the "How to draw comics the Marvel way" book.

Burne Hogarth's Dynamic Figure Drawing can't be missed either. His other anatomy books are great as well.

Spoiler:
A realm ripe with bald men on power trips and hulking brutes kicking the snot out of everything: I introduce you to my Sketchbook!
Broody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 07:22 PM   #5
Meatloaf
Brett

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 1 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Movie Poster Contest '08 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: LEGO Illustration Contest '11 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: New Year '07 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Video Game Sequential Contest '07 
Total Awards: 5

Send a message via MSN to Meatloaf

A lot of my sketching time is used up by doing over exagerated poses. I think this gives me a feel for the movement in the pose, so I can translate it into a physically possible one.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:37 AM   #6
Steasaurus
rawr

I have how to draw comics the Marvel way. A tutor at uni advised we get it if ever see it in a shop and I did so I got it. It's really good actually, kicks the crap out of the How To Draw Manga series.
My advice though is to learn to draw fast well proportioned stick men with all the correct joints and then just doodle poses for a few pages before hitting a regular piece. That way you're not wasting to much time on something that may not work and you can also build a library of interesting poses that you've come up with your self. don't expect to be thinking up awesome poses straight away though, if you do then kudos but I'm just saying don't give up if it doesn't seem like it's working straight away.

http://polykarbon.com/tutorials/action/action1.htm
Note the first two images in this tut by Pat. that's the sort of stick man-ish thing you should aim for though you could probably get away with simpler.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:00 PM   #7
Ghost Roller77
Karbonite

I actually have "How to draw comics the Marvel way", I will look @ it again. I will try that 5te. how does Pat draw shapes so perfect?
Old 08-01-2007, 08:28 PM   #8
jt4470
Karbonite

What works for me oddly, is drawing the limbs and torso in an exaggerated tear-drop, almost cone shape. It helps with perspective too. In the How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way, John Buscema did this with his action poses, so I tried it out and it works fairly well.
jt4470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 09:21 PM   #9
Ghost Roller77
Karbonite

thanks, i just picked up Burne Hogarth's Dynamic Figure Drawing. it looks very promising, i shall study it soon.