Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > GALLERY > Sketchbooks
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2016, 03:06 PM   #161
Lamb
christmas squid

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Hunters Contest '12 Boss Battle Contest - 2nd place:  - Issue reason: Had that cute crit glyph 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: LEGO Illustration Contest '11 
Total Awards: 4

Send a message via ICQ to Lamb

that's really cool! You must have a lot of patience with rendering. The folds and volumes feel perfect.

http://chronoray.tumblr.com/
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 01:21 AM   #162
littleyuri
Karbonite

The last one's pretty sick Djinn. Gives me a star wars feel for some odd reason.

Deviantart

Instagremzz
littleyuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 05:32 PM   #163
djizomdjinn
night painter

Finished the oil painting. By which I mean I don't want to work on it any more. Oil is not the medium for me. Too slow, and waiting three days to dry is not my cup of tea.

Just a light mech sketch, since I like to think I'm good at drawing mechanical things but I can't remember the last mechanical drawing or painting I've actually finished.

djizomdjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:58 PM   #164
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 
Total Awards: 1

I've never painted in oils, so props to you for finishing it.
The neck feels a bit long to me. Then again, I remember making the same observation to Lamb one time, so maybe I've been drawing necks too short my entire life.
Grieverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 12:08 AM   #165
djizomdjinn
night painter

Ugh. Been too sick to even consider doing art for most of this week. But I'm getting better now so here's something.

At first it was just a face to get back into things (... a not very good one, though I think it's mainly the eyes. Good eyes can salvage a bad face, and bad ones can screw up a good face), and then it expanded into a sort of nude anatomy study / loose painting exercise for the rest of the body, though focusing mostly on the torso since I screw up the pelvic area a lot. Haven't painted only at full opacity zoomed all the way out, building things straight out of color in a long time. Kind of refreshing, actually.

I still can't draw toes. But that's okay, because it's one of the things it's usually very easy to hide.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:22 AM   #166
Nmn
yo sup?

hubba hubba... dat is one big foot yo :o but luvin' the skintone.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:42 PM   #167
djizomdjinn
night painter

Let's try that again since the first face sucked so much.

Better, I think.

Though consistency from what is ostensibly supposed to be the same face each time is not happening. Ugh. Another thing for me to work on. Maybe I need to take better notes, make a turnaround character sheet?
Old 04-16-2016, 02:09 PM   #168
Nion
Gluteus Maximus

Send a message via Skype™ to Nion

I wanted to point out some things in this drawing.. and to actually give some feedback this time so I hope you don't mind it.. since I'm not a professional and all

So I did a quick paint over and there are things you could definitely improve on... let's start with the rendering. It seems to me that you skip some stages like finishing your sketch and move on straight to detailing (for example your drawing before, where you can clearly see an unfinished hand). I suggest you lay out simple shapes and colors first (or do the traditional sketch method) and after you figure out how you want the drawing to look like, you can then proceed to rendering.

Another thing with this drawing that bugs me is the eyes, they seem to look flat. Remember, an eye ball is a round sphere. It looks like the light source is coming from the left judging by her skin , then why does the right side of her eyes reflect light, and the left side of her hair seem to be in the shadow?

One last thing, the shoulders are really stiff and the face expression is completely emotionless. Doing life studies is never enough By the way, good job on the skin color and the whole tiny strand thing (on her hair) looks really cool!

Sketchbook
http://www.polykarbonbbs.com/showthread.php?t=32191
Nion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:33 AM   #169
djizomdjinn
night painter

Well, it's more practice of building up everything from value/color, instead of colored sketches. The previous one was a face study. Then I decided I wanted to work on skin tones some more, so I expanded the canvas and painted until I got bored. A lot of these were never intended to be anything like finished pieces.

But yes, it's been a while since I've sat down and worked out a sketch.

Old 04-27-2016, 05:26 AM   #170
djizomdjinn
night painter

Something to work on because I haven't sat down and pounded out a finished painting complete with background and everything in far too long.

Old 04-30-2016, 04:00 AM   #171
djizomdjinn
night painter

Likeness / ethnicity study, which is why I used the same base sketch for two different faces. And a bit of a material study (love that silk tie!)

Also makeup / no makeup study, since I've found myself getting lazy with the forms of the eye. No more black outline and "lol eyeliner".

Anyways, on a personal note, I finally feel like I'm starting to get back into it. A lot less of the substandard crap I've churning out just to make sure I still remembered how to use a tablet.

But I still don't know how to paint hair all that well.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:37 PM   #172
djizomdjinn
night painter

Need to refine the shape of this some more.

Pencil and pen tablet still come out completely differently at times. Probably to be expected. Also maybe I just like drawing outfits?

Old 05-16-2016, 07:59 PM   #173
muzz
karbogasm

Man you really need to get in the habit of drawing in perspective properly. You keep on drawing full poses flat to the camera, which really isn't doing you any favours.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:08 AM   #174
djizomdjinn
night painter

What, like this?

I dunno, I've been out of it these past few weeks. Mostly been drawing just for the sake of drawing, which means not really going through all the steps of a finished piece.

Who knows, I might make the one on the left into a quick painting, it actually is one of the more decent things that has come out in a while.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:19 PM   #175
muzz
karbogasm

Yeah man like that. I know it's a lot harder, but you really need to get used to drawing like that until it becomes the default ! Keep it up.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:07 AM   #176
djizomdjinn
night painter

Been doing some sculpting, because it really shows where you have your knowledge of anatomy rock-solid and where you consistently fake the whole thing.

In this case, the answer is eye folds in general, the brow, and especially where the brow, corners of the eye, and nose bridge all meet.

Who knows, maybe if I make a good enough model I can use it from then on as perspective reference.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:56 AM   #177
djizomdjinn
night painter

Finished? Figured might as well, then I can paint it or something. Also another one with more defined features and hopefully better facial anatomy.

Old 06-02-2016, 11:08 AM   #178
djizomdjinn
night painter

Painted her up.

Old 06-07-2016, 04:19 PM   #179
djizomdjinn
night painter

Playing around with ideas.

Aaaand a quick mostly line face study.

Old 06-09-2016, 02:46 AM   #180
djizomdjinn
night painter

Something color because it's been too long since color. Also something vaguely fantasy because I never do fantasy.

How people manage to sketch those wonderful linearts of buildings I have no idea. I always get so bored drawing or painting architecture. Also I severely borked the perspective. Ah well, at least I like the light.