Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > COMMUNITY > Art & Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2006, 11:53 AM   #61
KuroNekoSama
Number One Kraut

Teriffic ^_^ thanks guys, I was looking into building my own computer over the summer or just buying a mac and the mac won out the tablet works teriffic and i've always loved the mac interface so the ctrl click has never bothered me, i find after a while its nicer to use than the windows interface

In necessariis unitas, in dubiis libertas, in omnibus caritas
-In necessary things unity, in doubtful things liberty, in all things charity
KuroNekoSama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 11:55 PM   #62
traum4
banana > apple

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Cross Board Contest 1st Place:  - Issue reason: Valentines Contest '06 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Christmas Contest '05 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Nonseasonal Unnamed Contest '07 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGT
don't push too hard on the pen, that'll grind your nib down real quick. be careful not to break it, because i don't think Wacom sell replacement pens
http://www.wacom-shop.net/cgi-bin/wa...6/Catalog/1038
http://www.wacom-shop.net/cgi-bin/wa...6/Catalog/1110

hope this helps!

T4

To correct some of other PGTs "facts", as far as I know, getting different pens is only option for intuos series, graphires don't notice if you change a pen, nor are there any special pens available for graphires either.

And please, Fireworks just as good as Photoshop with bitmaps?.. -_- I thought FW is a lot closer to ImageReady if anything? I don't see any self-respecting digital artist using FireWorks as their primary tool, I'd actually put my money on free programs over that one. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainbass
as for the 'annoying ctrl click' comment> 1)it's not annoying its fine
Just like getting slapped around the face every time you blink wouldn't be annoying, just fine. :)

traum4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 11:39 AM   #63
CaptainBass
The Urban Turban

OR when your computer crashes,gets viruses,starts being a slow noisy clunky piece of poo.That wouldn't be annoying, just fine. Tushay.ha ha
Old 06-06-2006, 12:44 PM   #64
traum4
banana > apple

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Cross Board Contest 1st Place:  - Issue reason: Valentines Contest '06 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Christmas Contest '05 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Nonseasonal Unnamed Contest '07 

I actually planned on saying something quite like that, but I was afraid you'd miss the sarcasm. :)

But now that you brought it up, my PC has currently been on for a couple of months straight, no viruses, no crashes, works fast and is silent. On the other hand, the annoying ctrl click exists all the time on the other machines. ;)

And it's spelled touché. -_-

Old 06-06-2006, 12:51 PM   #65
RobotCat
Best combination ever

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 1 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 2 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBass
OR when your computer crashes,gets viruses,starts being a slow noisy clunky piece of poo.That wouldn't be annoying, just fine. Tushay.ha ha
Going to have to agree with Traum4 that if you even somewhat know what you're doing, you shouldn't be getting any of that and your PC should run fine.

Not to mention, macs are expensive =P

Edit:
Traum4: You can setup your mac and use a normal mouse with it so right click actually works.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:11 PM   #66
traum4
banana > apple

Awards Showcase

I do know. And I don't plan to twist this thread into a battlefield, this is the tablet thread. So I say no more. :|

While I'm here, has anyone experience with the cintiq 21ux? After looking into it, it seems pretty clumsy, and I'm not sure if it's even remotely worth it's price because of that. :/

Old 06-06-2006, 04:11 PM   #67
CaptainBass
The Urban Turban

ok, last dig ok? Used a Pc all my life,I even have my own.Got an Ibook last year (maybe late 2004),The Pc's now getting very dusty.Thats me anyway.Hooray!
Old 06-06-2006, 08:08 PM   #68
dard
Karbonite

Send a message via AIM to dard

People who are using wacom intuous 3 or cintiq, just wondering if you ever tried the 6D pen?

Just wondering if it is any better than the regular pen. One thing I miss is drawing on the side of a pencil, just wonder how well the 6d pen simulates that.
dard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:31 PM   #69
Zabur
Prince of Treachery

Send a message via ICQ to Zabur Send a message via AIM to Zabur Send a message via MSN to Zabur Send a message via Yahoo to Zabur

I just got my 6x11 Intuos today from NewEgg (got shipped here in 2 days, totally recommend the site to ANYONE). Working really great, I might actually post some pics ahahah.

I seriously recommend the 6x11 to anyone with a wisescreen monitor. It's amazing ^_^

My Space Page.
Zabur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 04:21 PM   #70
dfacto
Death by misadventure

Send a message via MSN to dfacto

My Aiptek asploded, so I'm going to buy myself a wacom. I'm currently kinda broke, but I have a freelance job and can scrounge together some cash. What I'm wondering is whether to go for the graphire 4 classic 4x5 http://www.geizhals.at/eu/a165778.html, which I can buy for about 73 Euro, or try and earn twice as much cash and go for the Classic 6x8 http://www.geizhals.at/eu/a165777.html.

The thing is that I'm not sure how much I can earn without being able to color anything, seeing as a big selling point of my work with my current client is my coloring job. If I take that into account, going for the quick 73 Euro would be best, since I could jump right into making more cash. However I have some questions about that.

1) Does the 4x5 work like a pen, or is it only like a mouse. I heard that it had no pen setting, although I may have misunderstood.

2) If it does, is the 4x5 area large enough to be able to precisely move about the screen and say, draw a face within the 4x5 with photoshop/painter 100% zoomed in without having the line quality suffer.

3) If it doesn't, then does the mouse style control work well?

4) Does the jittering I've heard about disrupt line quality? My aiptek qould draw crooked lines and nothing but, and 3 years was quite enough of that. This is a very important point for me.

5) Does the 6x8 have the jitter problem too?

6) Does the larger size of the 6x8 have any affect on the accuracy of the tablet (because of the larger surface area) when in pen mode?
Old 06-27-2006, 01:23 AM   #71
traum4
banana > apple

Awards Showcase

I haven't used any 4x5 graphire for years, but I'll post anyway.

#1: it works like a pen.

#2: I remember it was enough for coloring, but the drawing area was just too small for me, for even semi-comfortable drawing in 100% zoom.

#3: At least I find the mouse mode god-awful-should-never-be-used-for-anything. The pen mode is a lot more intuitive, I'd definitely stick with that and work with higher zoom. :/

#4: I don't recall having noticeable jitter on the Graphire 1&2s I've used. I've heard about that, too, but that's it. :/

#5: The 4x5 and 6x8 are basically the same tech, so I doubt there's a difference in jitter.

#6: 4x5 and 6x8 Graphire 4s have the same resolution (2000dpi), so the 6x8 isn't just spread on a larger area, and thus should be more accurate.

Old 06-27-2006, 03:56 AM   #72
Cruiser18
The Sharpest Pencil

Awards Showcase
3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Halloween Sprite Contest '10 
Total Awards: 1

I was thinking about getting a new tablet since my old Intuos3 6x8 tablet is getting very scratched on the drawing surface, and the size is kinda too small to draw properly on.

So, I was thinking about getting a 9x12(A4) instead, but now the bastards at Wacom has made it more complicated by releasing a model called "A4 oversize" that's 12x12!.

So, aside from the fact that the oversize costs some 25% more than the 9x12 is the oversize's size gonna make a major impact in any way other than there's more drawing area to make more detailed movements?
Cruiser18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 05:02 AM   #73
traum4
banana > apple

Awards Showcase

You do know you can get replacement surfaces for your intuos3? ;)

I've had a 9x12 intuos2 for years now, and frankly, it's overkill at least for me. I don't draw nearly big enough for it to be worth the extra $$, and the frame is really big, hard to fit on the table and quite clumsy on the lap as well. I use 6x8s at work and school and have found it more pleasant to use. But to each his own, if you really feel like you need longer strokes than your current tablet allows, a bigger tablet might really be what you need.

Just fighting against the general consensus that bigger tablets are automatically better. >_> I wasted at least 200$ because of similiar thinking. -_-

I don't really see the point of those oversize tablets, they're different shape than your monitor? Where's the advantage in that? I do understand the newer wide tablets, but the A4 oversize has always just puzzled me.

Old 06-27-2006, 05:11 AM   #74
Lardge
Email!!

Awards Showcase
3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Halloween Contest '05 

Send a message via MSN to Lardge

I got an A4 tablet, and a really cheap one too. The cursor sometimes stop when I use the pen.

And I'm so happy. <3
Old 06-27-2006, 05:35 AM   #75
Int_shrimp
Karbonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lardge
I got an A4 tablet, and a really cheap one too. The cursor sometimes stop when I use the pen.

And I'm so happy. <3
Nice ^____^ which tablet and how much? ^____^

"you'd think so but you'd be wrong!"
www.explosm.net
Int_shrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 05:56 AM   #76
Lardge
Email!!

Awards Showcase
3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Halloween Contest '05 

Send a message via MSN to Lardge

XD

http://www.trust.com/products/product.aspx?artnr=14070 !

You can always trust Trust!
Man, that should be the offical slogan. Or just "trust Trust".

And according to the current dollar value, did I bought it for 136 dollars. Now that's what I call a fine haul. ^^

Nah but serious, get a wacom, if you're searching. They seem a lot better.

I only got it because I wanted to be alternative.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:01 AM   #77
Int_shrimp
Karbonite

Nice, that'd be like 136*7,34 = 997,9 kronor (moms or no moms?) fellow viking!

But whats soo much shittier with a tablet NOT a wacom?
You, Lardge, try that one out meticulously and then tell me what to buy :P
Yes, that means that you have to buy a wacom graphire A4 size too to compare with of course...
wouldnt THAT be alternative?

"you'd think so but you'd be wrong!"
www.explosm.net
Int_shrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 09:23 AM   #78
Cruiser18
The Sharpest Pencil

Awards Showcase
3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Halloween Sprite Contest '10 

It's not because I draw very big either, and that's actually why I need a bigger pad. When I make these small handmovements when drawing, the smaller surface of the pad makes the cursor overreact on the screen and it makes it hard to do details without zooming in, and when I do that I start loosing scope of the big picture.

But I wasn't aware that you could get new drawing surfaces for wacoms. You wouldnt happen to know where to get that would you? It's not listed on wacoms product or accessory list and doesn't make hits on google.
Cruiser18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 12:28 PM   #79
traum4
banana > apple

Awards Showcase

my first hit on google with "wacom surface sheet"

http://www.coolgraphicstuff.com/store/index.php?cat=51

so at least they do exist.

And even on my 9x12 I have to use tons of zoom. The bigger size really doesn't do me much good, I just use a smaller percentage of it, because the drawing area is too big for me to take advantage of. Perhaps I just suck too much. :/

Int_shrimp: all other tablets operate with batteries. that alone is good enough reason to get a wacom: no batteries, lighter, no unnecessary moving parts -> more durable.

Old 07-30-2006, 11:52 AM   #80
alex
Karbonite

I am thinkin about gettin a Intuos 3 but ive also read up about Tecra M4 PC's
does anyone here hav eone of those and can help me make a decision?

I know the huge price gap, but I also need to get a Laptop for school haha, and that's why I am considering TECRA M4. Are there other good tablet PC's I should look into?
alex is offline   Reply With Quote