Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > COMMUNITY > Member Created Tutorials
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2005, 02:39 PM   #1
Jeanox
Hapless Ninny

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Epic Summer Contest '06 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Time Lapse Contest '09 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Valentines Contest '06 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Team Battle '06 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: New Year '07 
Total Awards: 6

Send a message via Skype™ to Jeanox
Default Photoshop Workspace

Alright, first off, I've never written an art-related tut before, so bear with me.

This is the workspace I've come to like over the couple years I've been photoshopping. It seems to be a bit more fluant to work in than the clunky default.

This layout is minimalistic, meaning that you strip everything down to only what you readily use and navigate mostly through keyboard shortcuts. This may sound complicated, but it really makes painting a lot easier and quicker once you get it down.

Step One: Familiarization
First off, in order to use this layout, you will need to be familiar with several photoshop shortcuts:

***Green Text = Painting Shortcuts***
***Blue Text = Navigation Shortcuts***

B = Brush
with brush tool selected...
Alt = Quick Eye Dropper (makes color selection easy)
Alt + Space = Quick Zoom Out
Ctrl + Space = Quick Zoom In
Ctrl = Quick Move Tool (don't use it that often, but handy)
Space = Quick Hand Tool (helps move where you're looking)

E = Eraser
R = Smudge Tool (don't abuse this tool, crazy bastages!)

Ctrl + Alt + 0 = Actual Pixels (zooms in/out to actual pixel size)
Ctrl + 0 = Fit on Screen (conveeeenient)

F = Toggles Page style (regular, white bg, black bg)
Tab = Show/Hide Pallets

It is not complicated to use shortcuts once you're used to it. Seriously, I paint with my right hand and always keep my left on the keyboard.

Step Two: Scrapping Default
Default = Clunky. As internet-savvy n00bs would say, "D3p4aUl7 15 0f teh 5ux0rz!".

*ahem*

Default configuration really does waste a lot of space. It's good if you don't know what photoshop has to offer in terms of tools/keyboard shortcuts, but for those who are familiar with the program, much of what's on the screen isn't needed if all you're doing is painting.

Step Three: Storing Useful Pallets

Scope out what's on the screen. Identify what you use and get rid of what you don't.

Now, with what you DO have left, drag your remaining pallets up into the darkish grey area to "dock" them (by default, File Browser and Brushes should already be there. If you have a low resolution, i'd suggest getting rid of at least one of them, especially if you don't use them and make way for more important pallets).

See? They're still there for you to access, just tucked away so that when they're not needed they don't cramp your drawing space.

Step Four: Immersion & Getting Over the Navigator

It's a brave new world! You've just tidied your workspace and now there's a clean area to work in. But, let's take it a step further.

The "F" key provides some yummy alternatives to just looking at a window within photoshop.

Press it once, and your image becomes centered and your drawing space takes up the entire work area letting you focus on your drawing a bit better while still allowing you full access to the Menu Bar (File, Edit, etc)

Press "F" once more, and the background becomes black and the Menu Bar disappears giving you even more room to work.

Now, you may be wondering how you're going to function without the beloved Navigator. I've docked mine, although i seldom end up using it.

Whie painting, if I need to zoom in, i use ctrl + click to zoom in, or alt + click to zoom out.

I can pan all over the place by just holding Space down and dragging my stylus. If you need to quickly get a view of the entire image, press ctrl + 0 to see the entire thing fitted to my screen.

Additionally, if i want to zoom in to get at the details, I press ctrl + alt + 0 to zoom in to the actual pixel size.

Last of all, if you want absolute immersion in painting a piece, you could press tab to get rid of any other distracting pallets leaving you with the most simplistic of all the options thus far. If you are fluent in shortcuts, painting in this mode is easy and simple.

Once you have the workspace that fits you, go to Window > Workspace > Save Workspace.

I hoped this helped some people out. Especially, if you have smaller monitors. I feel your pain! Up until 6 months ago, i had a 15" which was about 50% dimmer than regular monitors.

if you're not prepared to be wrong, you'll never come up with anything original.

Tumblr
Youtube
ArtStation
Twitter

Last edited by Jeanox : 08-13-2005 at 01:47 PM.
Jeanox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 05:28 AM   #2
Evil Iori

Send a message via MSN to Evil Iori

Hey this is really useful, i'm just beginning to colour and what not, thx for the advice . make a colouring tut .
Evil Iori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 10:38 PM   #3
HunterKiller_
BANNED

Thanks for the shortcut keys.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:50 PM   #4
Jeanox
Hapless Ninny

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Epic Summer Contest '06 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Time Lapse Contest '09 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Valentines Contest '06 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Team Battle '06 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: New Year '07 

No problem. Here's a couple more that I forgot that are also useful...

While in the brush tool...

Shift + Right Click = Quick blending options

Also in the brush tool...

Ctrl + Right Click = Toggle Layers (This is why it's handy to name layers).

Also, this is handy if you go through layers quickly like I do while sketching (when I'm madly doodling, I don't bother to create new documents when moving from sketch to sketch; I just create new layers and hide the old ones).

Ctrl + Shift + N = New Layer

if you're not prepared to be wrong, you'll never come up with anything original.

Tumblr
Youtube
ArtStation
Twitter
Old 07-12-2005, 09:01 PM   #5
Aires
Lone Wolf

Send a message via MSN to Aires

Hmm not bad, Miss Wigs, could you do a tut on getting tablet sensitivity?

Member of the Writers Guild
Aires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 10:57 PM   #6
japozi
Karbonite

impressive and very helpfull! beautifull art also!
japozi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 09:14 PM   #7
Jeanox
Hapless Ninny

Awards Showcase

Aires: Tablet sensativity? That's too simple to make a tut about. Just go into the wacom settings (assuming you have a wacom) and fiddle with it. A person's pressure preference will be different each time.

Plus, I just have a wimpy little graphire 2.

Japozi: Thanks! I hope people benefit from what I've just learned on my own over the past few years.

Tumblr
Youtube
ArtStation
Twitter
Old 07-18-2005, 12:16 PM   #8
IAC
Blinky Blink

Send a message via AIM to IAC Send a message via MSN to IAC Send a message via Yahoo to IAC

Yes, very nice Tut, Miss Wiggle, any chance we could see a Miss Wiggle Tut on painting, from blank canvas to amazing scene?
IAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 01:37 PM   #9
Jeanox
Hapless Ninny

Awards Showcase

hehe. I don't feel adequate enough to give a very good tut AND I don't think there really is a tut to teach you exactly "how to" do something.

I'll probably end up doing a walkthrough of a piece or something to show how I did it--not necissarily how it should be done. I hope that makes sense. :b

Tumblr
Youtube
ArtStation
Twitter
Old 07-19-2005, 11:02 AM   #10
IAC
Blinky Blink

Send a message via AIM to IAC Send a message via MSN to IAC Send a message via Yahoo to IAC

Perfect sense. It's always cool to see how things are created start to finish. Who knows, maybe there are some small tips/procedures you do that can help.
IAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 10:01 PM   #11
Gamerdork
Wants to float.

Send a message via ICQ to Gamerdork Send a message via AIM to Gamerdork Send a message via MSN to Gamerdork Send a message via Yahoo to Gamerdork

You can save even more room by auto hiding the start bar if your using windows.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:08 PM   #12
fanboy

whats a vehicualr elipse tool
I cant find it on my PS
Old 04-14-2006, 05:22 PM   #13
hezzart
Blue Katamari

Send a message via MSN to hezzart

I would love to see someone do the same thing for Painter, along with brush customisation in both applications. Great stuff wiggs
hezzart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 11:57 AM   #14
openthegrave
xforlife

Send a message via MSN to openthegrave

I know it is a old post but y0u m3553d up 1n y0ur L337 5p34k. T's are represented by 7's. Ju57 7h0u7 y0u w0uld w4n7 70 kn0w
openthegrave is offline   Reply With Quote