Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > COMMUNITY > Art & Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2007, 12:12 PM   #121
Ederon
Karbonite

Hi everyone,

I’m planning on buying an Intuos 6x8 Tablet, and I’ve been wondering for quite a few days now, what is the major diference between the 6x8 and the 9x12 tablet?

Does having a smaller working area, on the tablet, mean that it’s less precise?

Would the lenght of the lines I usually draw on paper tell me which size of tablet to get?

Also, while drawing at a 100% resolution, what are the diferences between the two tablet? Will it be easier on the 9x12?

Do people need to zoom in closer to achieve the same results as a 9x12 tablet, while working with a 6x8 ?

I am still planing on getting the 6x8, due to the total size of the tablets, but I would like to know about the diferences between them.

Thanks for the help ^^

Tablet Dimensions:
Intuos 6x8: 13.6" x 10.3" x .5"
Intuos 9x12: 17.3" x 13.4" x .6"
Ederon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 01:28 PM   #122
fshoo`
For sure.

Send a message via MSN to fshoo`

If you read the very first post in this topic, you should be informed I think.

btw srilyk, I have this little bebe:

http://www.itreviews.co.uk/hardware/h102.htm

It's a wacom graphire graphics,which, as I now discovered, is different from a graphire classic :P

fshoo` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 01:46 PM   #123
Ederon
Karbonite

Well, I've read the first post, and all the post after, and I've just re-read the section about size in the first post...but it does'nt quite answer my questions. Maybe I didnt explain myself clearly enough...or i just dont get it. =\

Anyway, thanks for replying, ill wait to be a bit more awake...and I'll try to reformulate everything if it needs to.
Ederon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 02:22 PM   #124
fshoo`
For sure.

Ok, I'll help you out as much as I can. I can't guarantee that I have infinite knowledge ( :< ) so I can make a mistake.

first question: It is less precise, because you'll have to make the same length of lines as you do with a 9 x 12 as an example, but you have less space to move. you can always zoom in though, so you can work precise enough eventually.

second one: It doesn't matter how big your lines are, because you can reach your whole screen with just a 6 x 8 tablet. If you are one that makes a lot of movements with your arms, a bigger tablet is advisable.

third: I honestly don't have a clue, since I don't have both of them, but only read other people's opinions and statements, and based my knowledge on them.

fourth: Look back at the first question.

Hoped again that I was of some help :P

Old 06-07-2007, 12:10 AM   #125
traum4
banana > apple

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Valentines Contest '06 1st Place:  - Issue reason: Cross Board Contest 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Christmas Contest '05 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Nonseasonal Unnamed Contest '07 
Total Awards: 4

I have a 9x12 at home and use a 6x8 at work. Unless you usually draw really big on paper, 6x8 is an excellent size that has enough area to draw and is still reasonably compact to handle.

fshoo`, that tablet is also casually known as the graphire 1, since it is the earliest model of the series.

5te, I knew you'd find it, I hoped I might be quick enough to save you a minute or two but whatever. :)

traum4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 02:21 AM   #126
Steasaurus
rawr

T4: Yeah I think I was a little quick to give up looking and lazily thought someone here would solve my problems without me having to get annoyed, but then I got impatient waiting even though it was like a minute and had another look... weird how doing something else for even a minute can give you fresh eyes
I should actually draw more now. Especially since I've now confimred that the lagging was a problem with my old tablet and not my pc performance. Things should get done quicker... I need some time now
Old 06-07-2007, 04:28 AM   #127
fshoo`
For sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by traum4
fshoo`, that tablet is also casually known as the graphire 1, since it is the earliest model of the series.
Sorry to bother, but do you know anything about the quality of this graphire 1? or should I definately get a new later version of the series?

Old 06-07-2007, 04:55 AM   #128
traum4
banana > apple

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Valentines Contest '06 1st Place:  - Issue reason: Cross Board Contest 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Christmas Contest '05 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Nonseasonal Unnamed Contest '07 

Most of the changes in the newer versions are just looks. If it feels good to you, stick with it. My personal experience with that tablet is quite positive, although to me it's size is a bit too small for comfortable drawing/painting, while enough for tracing pencil lines/coloring. If you don't currently need a bigger tablet, just upgrading to a newer model would IMO be a waste of your time and money.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:52 AM   #129
fshoo`
For sure.

Ok thanks for replying I'm beginning to color my art, so we'll see how that works out with my tablet. Haven't got the money for a tablet atm, only 15 yrs old, no job, and other things to do. :P

Old 06-07-2007, 11:10 AM   #130
Moniker
Ouendaaaaan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmpilot
There are some tablet PCs with pressure sensitivity, just to let you know. I don't think tablet PCs have great resolution, though...
Okay, so I have a tablet PC with pressure sensitivity - it's got great resolution, too. I've got an IBM Thinkpad, but I have one question - how do I get Photoshop CS2 to register the fact that I have pressure sensitivity? I set the brush on pen pressure, but it says I need a [b]pressure sensitive[/i] tablet to use it...

Alias Sketchbook works fine with it, though.

Moniker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 02:04 PM   #131
TKN
Machine Head

Send a message via MSN to TKN

I'm also planning on investing in a tablet, but would an 6x8 work on a widescreen (16:10 aspect ratio)?

* Check out my Sketchbook - Latest Update September 26th * (LOL kinda dead xD)

Deviant Artist? Click here!
TKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 06:53 PM   #132
srilyk

Send a message via ICQ to srilyk Send a message via AIM to srilyk Send a message via MSN to srilyk Send a message via Yahoo to srilyk

@Moniker: Check google - something like "IBM Thinkpad enable pressure sensitivity Photoshop cs2" or some anagram of those terms.

@TKN: yes and no. I have a 6x8 that I use on my um... I think 1200x800 resolution screen... Sometimes. The only thing is your horizontal strokes won't be the same as they would be on a "normal" screen. But you can also adjust (at least with Wacom) the screen area (and even the tablet area, if you so desire) that is affected.

Otherwise, you'll find that horizontal strokes are slightly longer than they should be. Not a horrible problem, since you're not really looking, but if your muscles are used to drawing a certain way you might find some slight problems with it.
srilyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:15 AM   #133
TKN
Machine Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by srilyk
@TKN: yes and no. I have a 6x8 that I use on my um... I think 1200x800 resolution screen... Sometimes. The only thing is your horizontal strokes won't be the same as they would be on a "normal" screen. But you can also adjust (at least with Wacom) the screen area (and even the tablet area, if you so desire) that is affected.

Otherwise, you'll find that horizontal strokes are slightly longer than they should be. Not a horrible problem, since you're not really looking, but if your muscles are used to drawing a certain way you might find some slight problems with it.
Alrite thanks alot, I guess I'll go with the 6x11 to be safe then

Old 06-25-2007, 11:18 AM   #134
srilyk

Send a message via ICQ to srilyk Send a message via AIM to srilyk Send a message via MSN to srilyk Send a message via Yahoo to srilyk

yeah, 6x11 would be best - that way when you use it on a "normal" screen you can just redefine your tablet area to 6x8... w00t. And if you have two screens you can use that 3inches on your other screen...
srilyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 09:02 PM   #135
jeco
Industriously apathetic

Default digital display tablet vs tablet PC

I've recently been having wet dreams about getting a digital display tablet. Not sure if that is the official term for them or not. I'm refering to tablets that have built in LCD monitors like the Cintiq

What I was wondering is what is the advantage of a digital display tablet vs a tablet PC? It seems to me that a tablet PC is capable of the same things that the display tablet is but also has the "small" advantage of being a PC. So why is the tablet so much more expensive? I don't want to go dropping 2.5K on a display tablet when I can spend about half that and get a tablet PC with the same functionality and also have a laptop out of the deal.

Also I'm not familiar with laptops. Can you connect one to a desktop to function as a monitor?

Sketchbook
jeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:58 AM   #136
TKN
Machine Head

As far as differences go, I'd say the ability to disconnect it (less likely to be damaged cuz its not carried around, good if you plan to upgrade/switch computers every now and then, etc.) and its advanced pressure sensitivity is what makes the digital one a better choice.

However, I'm just guessing from what I've read when I was shopping for a tabby ^^'

Old 07-09-2007, 05:11 PM   #137
traum4
banana > apple

Awards Showcase

Also, obviously the Cintiq screen area is much larger and resolution higher than on tablet PCs. I'd pretty much bet that's the main reason for the price difference. Small LCD screens are a lot cheaper.

Old 07-09-2007, 07:16 PM   #138
jeco
Industriously apathetic

thats pretty much what I figured, but damn that price difference is a bee-otch. Cintiqs are nice but I'm just not sure if it would be worth the price. Not to mention their warranty sucks, its only about a year maybe two. For something thats so damn expensive you would think it would be backed by a solid lengthy warranty.

On the other hand it would also be pretty nice to have a laptop that just happens to be a decent tablet with a built in display.

Sketchbook
jeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:03 AM   #139
zac6x9

I have bought a trust tablet and have now just read this post (opps!)

but I do have a question how much pen jitter is acceptable and why does the revolting mouse not jitter.

I complained and to their credit trust sent out a new pen straight away. This is now my second tablet I sent it back to the shop and got a new one straight away to the shops credit but the jitter is still with me.

I recon the jitter is about the same a moving the pen tip about 1mm (seems like loads to me)
Old 11-13-2007, 05:15 AM   #140
misterkyo
Quack.

I've had my graphire 2 4x5 tablet for quite some time, tonight i think i broke the pen. Dropped it and the nib end stopped working, other end works fine. Anyone ever had this? Would it just be the nib or do i just replace the pen? More importantly, can i use the graphire 4 pen if i have to replace it? (obviously, they don't sell version 2 any more).

i haven't bothered to upgrade yet, i've been holding out for a while. I would rather get the temporary fix for the moment, then eventually shell out for a large intous later.
misterkyo is offline   Reply With Quote