Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > GALLERY > Art Critique
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2009, 08:08 PM   #1
jy1235689
Lombo is de artist

Color and B&W My Forza2 Case

Hi! This is my new Forza2 picture for my game's case!
Please critique me on anything APPROPRIAT! nothing rude!

The theme is a forza motorsport 2 case :confu sed:

and here is my original

just in case your wondering, I used Paint.NET, NOT adobe Photoshop.
first because Paint.NET is free, and second because Paint.NET is easier to use!
I recommend searching "Paint.NET" for a download and try it yourself!:wave :

Last edited by jy1235689 : 04-16-2009 at 04:13 PM. Reason: image refresh
jy1235689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:10 PM   #2
Melch
Staring Contest Winner.

Send a message via AIM to Melch Send a message via MSN to Melch

Hmmm. Well, I will say that there's lots to work on. Firstly, don't do the nipple thing. Unless it's a pic that is really really meant to look sexy, it generally just cheapens the pic altogether.

I think it's just kinda tough to crit on. I would suggest studying anatomy. That seems like an oft-repeated statement, but it's true. You can do a couple things. You can either go out and purchase an anatomy book that will teach you everything very in-depth. Or another option would be to look up reference pics. Just take those and try and copy them down the best that you can. With time, you'll start to have a better understanding of anatomy and how the body is constructed. Another option could be to try and copy drawings that you like to see how that certain artist drew the human form. And of course, if you're going to post it, give proper credit.

As for the colouring, avoid the gradient tool as much as possible. The gradient tool is ok if it's just the underlying shade for more detailed shading. And even then, sometimes it's better to just do your own shading. But having flat out gradients instead of shading looks a bit off.

But keep at it! Everybody has to start somewhere!

~Melch

Melch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:48 PM   #3
jy1235689
Lombo is de artist

Default thanks

thanks for the crit. I guess that whole "ahem" thing was just a phase I was going through, I got in trouble for it and now I see how stupid it was in the first place. I made this awhile ago and am now looking at real anime for reference and I'm getting better, but I'm only good by hand, NOT on computers. Come back soon for my best drawing ever! It isn't anime though, but it is a face.

P.S. thanks for not being so rude about it. it is so hard to get away from getting bad talked!
Old 04-05-2009, 06:01 AM   #4
bell

anatomically, her arms are a little bit too long - more so on her right arm, especially the forearm. the left upper-arm probably just needs to be shortened to fix the length of that one. her left hand is pretty well drawn, her right not so much, but both hands seem to have only three fingers and a thumb.

the pose is a bit awkward as well. her balance would be off if she actually held a flag like that, and she'd be fairly likely to topple over. all the weight is transferred onto the left leg there, with her right leg just touching the ground with her toes. to hold the flagpole more realistically, her left arm should be further towards the flag to balance it.

her face is a bit squinty, as the eyes are drawn off-kilter with the rest of her face. it's as if the head has been rotated by 20, and the eyes have only moved round by 10.

the lock of hair hanging over her eye cuts off and then magically reappears again, which looks silly. if you're going to draw hair over the eyes, then draw it over the eye, not the other way about.

also, it's spelled 'appropriate'.

other than that it's not bad.
bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 04:38 PM   #5
jy1235689
Lombo is de artist

the reason all these things are off is because i've only had a week 'n a half of practice with anime and I was trying to do what I saw on all anime that I've seen, and that is putting the eyes over the hair (I didn't get it at the time, I just did what everyone else was) also I only spent 10 min. on drawing on paper! You should see my NON-ANIME drawings, they're very realalistic (coming from an artist that's a pretty big statement that can hurt my reputation.) I'll post my best non-computer drawing soon.

(Oh, and I'm not going to look at an anatomy book for ANIME, I just rushed it, Practice is the real key factor here.)

also, Paint.NET doesn't have fuzzy paint/spray tools.
GIMP does though, and so does inkscape (both which I should have used, but didn't).
Old 09-27-2016, 06:54 PM   #6
jy1235689
Lombo is de artist

I forgot about this until now... wow 7 and a half years. Well, here is something from 3 and a half years ago, so 4 years improvement went by:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20151113_151757.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	2367

Quote:
Originally Posted by jy1235689
the reason all these things are off is because i've only had a week 'n a half of practice with anime and I was trying to do what I saw on all anime that I've seen, and that is putting the eyes over the hair (I didn't get it at the time, I just did what everyone else was) also I only spent 10 min. on drawing on paper! You should see my NON-ANIME drawings, they're very realalistic (coming from an artist that's a pretty big statement that can hurt my reputation.) I'll post my best non-computer drawing soon.

(Oh, and I'm not going to look at an anatomy book for ANIME, I just rushed it, Practice is the real key factor here.)

also, Paint.NET doesn't have fuzzy paint/spray tools.
GIMP does though, and so does inkscape (both which I should have used, but didn't).