Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > COMMUNITY > Art & Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2014, 05:06 PM   #1
Steasaurus
rawr

Default Ugh... merging layers with layer styles? PS CS2

I recently cancelled my Photoshop subscription because I wasn't using it. Then I obviously wanted to use it, so I went back to ye olde CS2 I had laying around. It's so old and dusty, ah well.

Anyway, I'm not sure if this has changed in recent versions because I just cannot remember, I'm having trouble merging a layer down that has a layer style on it.

I like to work on one layer as much as possible recently, for the more painterly type pieces at least, and I needed to tweak a part of my image. I could of just painted over it but I liked what was there and it was mostly an issue with colour and values, so I hit the layer styles and threw down some overlay colours and a bit of colour dodge etc. and I'm happy with it again.
BUT when I merge my layers back down so that I can continue without worrying about the layers not working with each other (a bit of transforming and such would throw it all out of whack) they lose the effect of the layer and adopt the style of the lower layer.
Is there a way to merge the layers as I see them, and not lose the appearance that the layer style gives? I'm sure I used to know how to do this

HELP!
Old 11-19-2014, 09:35 PM   #2
djizomdjinn
night painter

Do you merge them all at once? My personal method is to hide everything not to be merged and hit "Merge Visible".

Is the bottom layer a "Normal" blending mode layer?

If all else fails, Flatten should do the trick. But it'll get rid of all your layers, of course.
djizomdjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:14 PM   #3
muzz
karbogasm

Ctrl alt shift E is my friend. Merge all to a new layer.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:56 AM   #4
Steasaurus
rawr

Derp!
I knew this. Thanks for the reminder, guys. It's the simple things that hold me back hahaha
Old 11-22-2014, 11:08 PM   #5
djizomdjinn
night painter

Huh; the things you learn.

My workflow is generally to copy the current layer or make a new layer whenever I'm doing something I don't know will turn out well, and then merge down or group + merge group to "commit" the changes.
djizomdjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 02:25 AM   #6
Steasaurus
rawr

I've gotten pretty ballsy over the years. I rarely use layers if I'm working from reference, if I make a mistake I usually just free transform, or paint over, or both.
I only really use layers if I'm painting over something sketchy or if I'm setting up a concept sheet or something, so I can work on costume elements that I may not want to keep without destroying the base model.