Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > COMMUNITY > Art & Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2016, 05:50 AM   #1
Mashime
Karbonite

Default Something strange

Last spring I started going through the Draw a box lessons.

I devote a few hours a day to drawing boxes and ellipses, which are the heart of the issue here.

Yesterday I looked at one of my ellipse page from the back of the paper, seeing the "flipped" image, and realized all of them were severely tilting to the right, something I had failed to notice as I was grinding pages and pages of them everyday.

Perhaps more interesting, I remembered portraits I had drawn a few years ago which had similar distortions (the right side of the 3/4 face would be tilted, as if the face was melting on that side, kind of like the shape of those ellipses.

It's difficult to correct a mistake I don't even see anymore, trying to draw ellipses that seem to tilt to the left in order to compensate with mixed results, the tops and bottom align a bit better, but still left with the "melting away" aspect.

Has anyone ever experienced something like that, and if so, how did you come to correct it ?

Mashime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 01:43 PM   #2
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 1st Place:  - Issue reason: When Hell Freezes Over Contest '11 Boss Battle Contest - Winner: 1st place - Issue reason: Beat the scariest boss into a pulp 
Total Awards: 3

Send a message via Skype™ to astrapho

Hey there. I personally have this problem and I think it's because one of my eyes is slightly higher than the other. You might want to check to see if you have the same thing going on. The only solution unfortunately is just to be attentive and try to flip the image as you paint or flip it upside down and go for the average (Because when you flip it you'll still overcompensate) and for this exercise, if you have a ruler or something to make sure you have your verticals actually vertical and use it to draw the ellipses. However it won't be a problem when you do construction in perspective. It never really goes away though unfortunately :/
astrapho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 06:31 PM   #3
Mashime
Karbonite

Thanks for the input.

Interesting theory about the eyes, I do have eyes issues as well.
Also didn't know about the overcompensating thing, though I did find the tilt very extreme when looking at the flipped version.

Somewhat interestingly, I found I could correct the tilt by about 50% just by using a clockwise motion instead of a counter clock wise... guess there's somewhat less of "corrupted" muscle memory to overwrite in that motion.

Could I ask you to elaborate on why this won't be a hindrance when doing construction in perspective ?

I currently will flip the pad whenever I have an ellipse to construct and draw it in one, shamefully tilted motion, from the least awkward angle possible, using the minor axis as my guide. Should I switch to a different approach of drawing each segment more or less individually, using the plane that contains them as guide instead ?

Thanks
Mashime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:40 AM   #4
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 1st Place:  - Issue reason: When Hell Freezes Over Contest '11 Boss Battle Contest - Winner: 1st place - Issue reason: Beat the scariest boss into a pulp 
Total Awards: 3

Send a message via Skype™ to astrapho

Yeah the same error of judgement will apply when you flip the image. It may become worse because of said muscle memory.

On the method you described, I'm not sure what you mean exactly, but a reliable practical way is to create a rectangle, join the corners to form a cross in the middle and also another cross dividing it halfway vertically and horizontally, and then using those as a guide to enclose the ellipse because then you can make sure each quarter is the same size.

It is not a problem when construction is used because you are calculating the shape geometrically and not using purely your visual judgement. However I understand it's a little impractical if you want to draw many at once. But once you calculate enough ellipses I think the distortion is not as bad when you do freehand it because you have a better idea of what the correct shape looks like.

Happy to help
astrapho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 12:32 PM   #5
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

I was once told when we write or draw with our preferred hand we would generally lean in that direction naturally. Eg i write with my write and it does slowly skew towards one side. Apparently.

So what to do? when i practiced getting use to using my stylus i had to get the right speed. Too fast or too slow and you lose accuracy and consistency. A couple of years ago i bored this forum to death with me drawing squares on paper and scanning them in at work and i had a quick stab circles. Never got round to elipses.

but i would generally try to calibrate myself and force myself to draw in a certain way each time. Drawing takes a lot of concentration for perfection and the thing that kept me in the right frame of mind was similar to weapon recoil in FPS games, want to aim straight when a gun pulls in a direction? pull your mouse/pen in the opposite direction with equal or sufficient force.

"Life is one great journey. Shame about the destination"
johnway is offline   Reply With Quote